World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Egypt lost to Uganda, meaning if Ghana get six points from their matches against Congo it will likely set up a "winner qualifies" matchup in Ghana in November, though Uganda have proven to be tougher than expected

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't worry, DD will play defense... :D
Coman starting out of nowhere. Varane is out for the game. Mbappe on the bench. Giroud OF COURSE starting.
At least Lemar's starting.

Maybe they want us in the World Cup too?

It sure would be nice to manage a win here. If Sweden could do it why not us?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tbh, that Sweden win was quite a freaky incident.
But Holland should be better, at least on paper.

I'm not really confident in fact.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wish they'd started Memphis over Janssen. I'd prefer his pace and power up front.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I see four Dutch problems here.

1. No van Dijk because he went on strike.

2. Janssen is nowhere near good enough to play against this kind of opposition.

3. Sneijder too old and past it.

4. Strootman and Wijnaldum are way better team players at their club than here, where they don't seem to have any chemistry at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's plenty of wrong here.

Though not sure why that wasn't called a foul for Pogba barging into the back of Promes but ok.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I see four Dutch problems here.

1. No van Dijk because he went on strike.

2. Janssen is nowhere near good enough to play against this kind of opposition.

3. Sneijder too old and past it.

4. Strootman and Wijnaldum are way better team players at their club than here, where they don't seem to have any chemistry at all.
Robben, Promes, Wijnaldum, Strootman, Sneijder, this feels like a Curtinho all star team :D

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Only building blocks on this team right now really are TFM, Wijnaldum, de Vrij and Promes. Even Strootman is pretty meh at this point. I'd rather see Vilhena and van de Beek. Memphis should be playing also. Ake, van Dijk, Karsdorp, etc. need more time and integration. We're not going anywhere any time soon.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is it safe to say Holland is no longer an elite soccer nation ? Like Slovakia in hockey ?

They go through these dry spells. Though with the way money has come into soccer and how quickly their best young talents get bought up now it wouldn't surprise me if they have a hard time bouncing back as they have in the past.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Feel sorry for Gibraltar but this is fun.

There is no reason to have 3 CBs on the pitch though. Could easily put a second striker on and work on movement in the box. Lack of presence there for the moment. Fellaini, Batshuayi or Benteke would feed on crosses.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Is it safe to say Holland is no longer an elite soccer nation ? Like Slovakia in hockey ?

There's not a country on the planet that can line up golden generations back to back to back just like that. Holland were top three in the world ten years ago, it'll take time for others to come in and fill that void.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
At the same time it must be a joy to be a French football fan nowadays . So many great talents. I wish a day would come where Russia has similar players.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
There's not a country on the planet that can line up golden generations back to back to back just like that. Holland were top three in the world ten years ago, it'll take time for others to come in and fill that void.

Right now we are talking national team missing Euro and the domestic championship dropping to the second level uefa rankings. It's a major slip.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
At this point they need to take off Strootman he's been awful and he's too slow to deal with France's midfield the way they're playing. Bring on Vilhena or van de Beek and bring Memphis on for Janssen.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Shockingly few actual chances on goal outside of the goal by France considering that they're basically playing with two strikers and had so much possession.

The Dutch look like minnows and I won't be sad if they fail to qualify here unlike 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad