Prospect Info: 2018 Vegas Rookie Faceoff

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm really not worried about Clague. No way all these pundits are wrong. He just needs to physically mature and get used to the higher pace. You aren't 1st pairing D on Team freaking Canada unless you have a high skill set. I like Stothers comment "....There’s still a little bit of carefree in him, but we’ll take care of that. One of the things he has – that instinct and that intuition – you can’t teach that. He was good.”

Translation: He's an amazing talent, and we'll teach him to play better defense in Ontario"

Clague will be fine. We'll find out a lot about the physical maturation process playing in the AHL this season. Just need him to stay healthy. He'll be a top 4 NHL D man at some point. Reminds me of a left handed Brandon Montour.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reading this thread it sounds like there's a chance JAD could potentially make the team this year ? I'm not really familiar with your line-up and any openings you have available but that's exciting to hear. He's probably my favorite player that we've ever had on the Spokane Chiefs so I'm really happy to see that he has a chance of making it with you guys so soon. I'd definitely miss seeing him back here this season though :)

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't count on it. He turns 19 on Wednesday, and he's not a first or second line offensive NHL talent. I'd rather see him shoot for over a 100 pts this season in the WHL, play for Team Canada, then join the Reign at the end of the season. He can compete for a spot next season on the Kings and/or start his pro career with the Reign next season. He has the tenacity on the forecheck and high energy you love to see on the ice, and it's at a higher pace than you see from most 17-18 year olds, so he sticks out in a good way. Better to let his development continue. We are not in rebuilding mode, and I'd like to see him stick around for a long time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reading this thread it sounds like there's a chance JAD could potentially make the team this year ? I'm not really familiar with your line-up and any openings you have available but that's exciting to hear. He's probably my favorite player that we've ever had on the Spokane Chiefs so I'm really happy to see that he has a chance of making it with you guys so soon. I'd definitely miss seeing him back here this season though :)

If Vilardi can't make the push I think JAD has a better-than-average shot of at LEAST getting his 9 games in. Doubt he sticks all year but dude is a sponge, he just gets better and better and at worst he's already got a good pro thinking game.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Glad to see some affirmation from other observers, as I thought Strand was the stand out on the blueline, and as has been the case in the previous couple of camps, I am also left unimpressed with John Slaney, err, Kale Clague.

Hopefully it's just early camp jitters. I think he'll need a couple of years in the AHL before we know if he has the wherewithal to be an NHL player. Clague made me feel uneasy watching him when I saw him get chewed up and eaten alive in preseason action last year.
I agree with Clague, he made some terrible passes. He just seems like he is wound to tight, real rigid, not sure of himself. Even Phillips looked better then him. I thought Ivan was meh. Had a few bad passes as well. I was way disappointed and underwhelmed by him. Could of just been a bad night, but by far the Strand kid was the best player on the ice for the kings. Hope Brickley can keep his A game going cause this Strand kid can play.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
What’s the latest on Cole Hults? Seems like a solid 2 way defenseman who likes to fight/play physical, something the Kings could use on defense...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What’s the latest on Cole Hults? Seems like a solid 2 way defenseman who likes to fight/play physical, something the Kings could use on defense...

Haven't seen anything but good reports about him and Mikey Anderson, but both will be playing collegiate this year so

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kings prospects continue to struggle to get the puck out of their own zone, and it bites them as Vegas takes a 2-1 lead. Not much cohesion shown with by the prospects, quite a few bad passes.

Reactions: King Trouty

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It would be interesting if they at least had one-and-done chances, but they don't even pose an offensive threat. They're flailing just to move the puck out.

Their offense and physical game hasn’t been very impressive in this tournament, granted, some top names are missing, but I didn’t think they’d perform this poorly.

Getting out of their zone, into the neutral zone, and maintaining possession in the offensive zone have all been huge hurdles for this squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad