Prospect Info: 2018 Vegas Rookie Faceoff

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The guy can't get on the ice due to his back, and so trade him now? Blake missed his chance to trade him in that scenario. Should've been going to Montreal at the draft, at the latest.

What team is taking a guy who may or may not skate in the NHL this year? If someone takes him, what are you getting back? It won't be a young guy that will help an NHL team 100% this season. Probably couldn't even get Pacioretty right now for him. He's a total question mark. For all intents and purposes, the Kings are now stuck with Vilardi, good or bad. He'll have to get on the ice this year, and produce, then Blake can trade him for something worth the time and effort.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
At this point I'd rather they just be overly cautious with him than the opposite.

If the guy absolutely destroyed the field last year with a wonky back and his other injuries, let him get fully healthy and grow instead of playing through the issue. Imagine what he could do with the proper health (if possible, obviously, which I agree is the key point).

It would be nice to see him contribute to the big squad this year, but I'm much more worried about the next 10 years of Gabe Vilardi than 2018-2019.

I just don't think trading him solves any problems in any manner.
Well, let's hope he completely heals and is or able to. What I find weird and I don't know if there's information about this, has he had these back issues since the entirety of summer or did it flare up recently? And Is there any specific information what his back problem is? If he has reoccurring back issues, he should have gotten surgery.

Would be crazy to move him.. he has too much upside, the injuries suck but hopefully its just a short term thing ... I think with how JAD looks you guys can take your time with Vilardi and let him completely heal and be comfortable to play at 100%... really no need to rush him... but no way you get someone with as much upside as Vilardi has.

Love JAD, hope he makes the line up this season and forces a spot on the team.

I thought Steel was alright, but Lundestrom is awesome.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, let's hope he completely heals and is or able to. What I find weird and I don't know if there's information about this, has he had these back issues since the entirety of summer or did it flare up recently? And Is there any specific information what his back problem is? If he has reoccurring back issues, he should have gotten surgery.

They're probably smartly playing coy about it. And frankly I'm taking the lack of surgery as a good sign, as they all seem to feel it's something that management and rehab will soothe.

Reactions: King Trouty and Sol

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Rempal has missed two goals that he should've scored today. He's look good, but he's lacking finishing ability right now.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Been impressed by Kehler. In his ability to just be 'there' as a big dude. There are big guys like Lindback who are just unable to close the holes evenwhen they're huge...Kehler has been strong all night.

Reactions: King Trouty

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Moving Vilardi would be asinine.

Will never get remotely close back. We don't need another marginal prospect. Let him recover and develop. If he plays well for someone else, we'd be kicking ourselves. If he doesn't, oh well, the chance is better than another tweener prospect.

Wasn't this board complaining about high end skill for like years? We got lucky one fell to us--ride it out.

And you can't just 'yeah, yeah' off Muzzin. He became a free top-pairing d-man after major back troubles in junior. Edit: make that a herniated disc surgery at age 16. It may take some time.
It may take some time to figure out what his injury actually is and what to do about it. Right now the Kings don’t seem to have a clue what to do about his injury and that’s the most concerning thing. Out til rookie camp... out til training camp... out til Christmas... out til next year...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It may take some time to figure out what his injury actually is and what to do about it. Right now the Kings don’t seem to have a clue what to do about his injury and that’s the most concerning thing. Out til rookie camp... out til training camp... out til Christmas... out til next year...
Sounds like Jobu needs more rum and cigars!

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Was at the game yesterday. Met a few players off the ice, Wagner, Brickley and Villalta. Must say, these boys were very courteous and generous with there time. Villalta was not fazed by the score of his game against the Ducks. As a goalie dad it was good to hear that. His reply was everyone has one of those once in a while. Excited about this core. Best d'man on the ice was Strand period. Clague was ok and Phillips looked pretty smooth. None were terrible but to me Strand stood way out. Cool composed and great passes out of the zone under pressure. Our goalie was really good. I sat next to a Sharks scout and found out that he the scout had trained him with the winter hawks and that we had a pretty good keeper right there. As the forwards go, Morrison and Rempal and Essy stood out. All 3 have skill at top speed it was good to see. Watson was good but was left wanting more JAD was good seemed better then Watson. Thomas was invisible. Imama is one heck of a pest with some skill but takes stupid penalties. He was throwing it around a bit. He could easily replace Clifford. He got in Josephs head (coyote dman) pretty good, it was fun to watch.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Was at the game yesterday. Met a few players off the ice, Wagner, Brickley and Villalta. Must say, these boys were very courteous and generous with there time. Villalta was not fazed by the score of his game against the Ducks. As a goalie dad it was good to hear that. His reply was everyone has one of those once in a while. Excited about this core. Best d'man on the ice was Strand period. Clague was ok and Phillips looked pretty smooth. None were terrible but to me Strand stood way out. Cool composed and great passes out of the zone under pressure. Our goalie was really good. I sat next to a Sharks scout and found out that he the scout had trained him with the winter hawks and that we had a pretty good keeper right there. As the forwards go, Morrison and Rempal and Essy stood out. All 3 have skill at top speed it was good to see. Watson was good but was left wanting more JAD was good seemed better then Watson. Thomas was invisible. Imama is one heck of a pest with some skill but takes stupid penalties. He was throwing it around a bit. He could easily replace Clifford. He got in Josephs head (coyote dman) pretty good, it was fun to watch.

I agree with you about Strand. I was pleasantly surprised by his puck handling skill and smoothness to his game for a bigger man. He has a blistering shot too. He should make a good pairing on the PP with Clague should they end up as teammates in ONT (and they likely will). Much better than what we had last season. I was okay with Moverare too. Looking forward to having more skill this year in ONT with Rempal, Morrison and Eyssimont giving out forward core much more depth. In my opinion, Imama will never step foot on the the ice in a regular season NHL game. He skill set and hockey IQ are way below average. He is a regular healthy scratch at the AHL level.

member 88115

+1 on how Strand has played. Maybe be our next Willie Mitchell?

Like the Ivan kid, I feel he played better than Clague. What is the info on him?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree with you about Strand. I was pleasantly surprised by his puck handling skill and smoothness to his game for a bigger man. He has a blistering shot too. He should make a good pairing on the PP with Clague should they end up as teammates in ONT (and they likely will). Much better than what we had last season. I was okay with Moverare too. Looking forward to having more skill this year in ONT with Rempal, Morrison and Eyssimont giving out forward core much more depth. In my opinion, Imama will never step foot on the the ice in a regular season NHL game. He skill set and hockey IQ are way below average. He is a regular healthy scratch at the AHL level.

Agree with what all of you and @saintsnsoldiers said. If Imama were ever to make it, it would just be on his simplicity and straight line play. I don't think he has it, I agree. Like seeing him stick up for people though. But he certainly goes too far, trying to get to players thru refs on damn near every stoppage surely gets them fed up with him.

Eyssimont is starting to remind me of Mike Comrie.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
+1 on how Strand has played. Maybe be our next Willie Mitchell?

Like the Ivan kid, I feel he played better than Clague. What is the info on him?

I had him right behind Strand yeah. He's apparently all brain. Stood out bigtime at the U-20s and the team seemed to rally around him (per report). Not a prolific scorer, but good offensive instincts, just "good" all over the rink. Maybe not necessarily any standout abilities, but I've seen him reported as top-4 upside. Unfortunately we have a ton of guys described pretty much just like him with small differences--Moverare, Phillips, even Lintuniemi to a degree are all LHD with good IQ and skill--so I think we're really looking for one of them to break thru the redundancies.

Last night it was certainly his smart little plays that stood out most to me.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I liked Strand the most yesterday. I still like Moverare and I keep feeling a little underwhelmed with Clague.

Morrisson tries to do way too much alone and isn't good at utilizing his linemates.

Rempal's quickness was on display.

JAD just plays like a pro, even if he wasn't the most threatening player on the ice.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Glad to see some affirmation from other observers, as I thought Strand was the stand out on the blueline, and as has been the case in the previous couple of camps, I am also left unimpressed with John Slaney, err, Kale Clague.

Hopefully it's just early camp jitters. I think he'll need a couple of years in the AHL before we know if he has the wherewithal to be an NHL player. Clague made me feel uneasy watching him when I saw him get chewed up and eaten alive in preseason action last year.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Whilst it is disappointing, Vilardi being injured again isn’t a shock. He picked up his initial injury at a time his body is rapidly growing and developing and as such it’s going to be a weak spot for a little while. The Kings are right to be very conservative and the over reactions on here are the usual typical hyperbole I’d expect. Those saying trade him due to his injury will be the first to complain when he becomes a legit top 2 centre. It just needs a little patience and handling with kid gloves. He will be fine. If it was something really horrific it would have shown up.on MRI.

Reactions: regulate

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Reading this thread it sounds like there's a chance JAD could potentially make the team this year ? I'm not really familiar with your line-up and any openings you have available but that's exciting to hear. He's probably my favorite player that we've ever had on the Spokane Chiefs so I'm really happy to see that he has a chance of making it with you guys so soon. I'd definitely miss seeing him back here this season though :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad