Prospect Info: 2018 Vegas Rookie Faceoff

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wagner dropped the gloves with Kolesar.

Almost literally all he did. They grabbed, Kolesar got a punch in, then Wagner leaned in too much and fell over.

Edit: props to Wagner though. I don't have their exact measurements, but Wagner had to have a 30+ lb. disadvantage

Reactions: King Trouty

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
They started the game so well, but after we scored our goal its just been absolutely nothing threatening. And I think the guys are just making bad decisions. Throwing the puck along boards to no one, holding onto the puck for too long, , turning back into pressure, icing the puck at bad times. Just a lot of bad hockey all around. I know these games don't matter, but I expected a lot more from a couple of guys.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here's my personal ranking in terms of how well the players performed over the course of the tournament. It's not a long term projection and expectations do factor in the rankings a little bit.

Goalies:
Kehler
Ingham
Villalta

Defense:
Strand
Moverare
Brickley
Clague
Ivan
Phillips
Walker
Reddekopp

Forwards:
Anderson-Dolan
Wagner
Dudas
Luff
Eyssimont
Maillet
Rymsha
Watson
Rempal
Rassell
Morrisson
Thomas
Bauman
Dunkley
Imama

member 88115

They started the game so well, but after we scored our goal its just been absolutely nothing threatening. And I think the guys are just making bad decisions. Throwing the puck along boards to no one, holding onto the puck for too long, , turning back into pressure, icing the puck at bad times. Just a lot of bad hockey all around. I know these games don't matter, but I expected a lot more from a couple of guys.
I did get to see this game, but I felt LA was playing to much on boards the other 2 games. We will need a new system soon or now. Our skilled players need to use the neutral zone more often. We can't expect 5ft10 guys to win many board battles.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Their offense and physical game hasn’t been very impressive in this tournament, granted, some top names are missing, but I didn’t think they’d perform this poorly.

Getting out of their zone, into the neutral zone, and maintaining possession in the offensive zone have all been huge hurdles for this squad.

In particular, zone exits have been terrible. The only defenseman today that is showing poise and confidence with the puck is Brickley, there is no panic in his game. Wagner is being an asshole out there, which is good to see.

I wouldn't write too much into these games though, Vegas doesn't look much better. Both teams look lost often, not a lot of instinctual play out there. Both teams are leaving guys open, it's a general mess. The difference is that Kings players are managing the puck worse than the Vegas ones. It was seriously difficult to watch at times, looked like pickup hockey.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Here's my personal ranking in terms of how well the players performed over the course of the tournament. It's not a long term projection and expectations do factor in the rankings a little bit.

Goalies:
Kehler
Ingham
Villalta

Defense:
Strand
Moverare
Brickley
Clague
Ivan
Phillips
Walker
Reddekopp

Forwards:
Anderson-Dolan
Wagner
Dudas
Luff
Eyssimont
Maillet
Rymsha
Watson
Rempal
Rassell
Morrisson
Thomas
Bauman
Dunkley
Imama

I didn't see today's game but I more or less agree outside of my personal biases, like I'd have Eyssimont over Luff. Was very pleasantly surprised by Dudas. Maybe not even surprised, half kind of expected that, but it was nice to see his game translating. Luff has been really disappointing to me in general, did he show more today?

In the grand scheme of things this isn't really surprising. Conservatively, the guys with an NHL future are nearly certainly JAD and Wagner as regulars with Dudas, Luff, Eyssimont as longshot. On D, I'd have Brickley in there as an NHLer with Strand, Moverare, Clague as maybe depth guys (but everyone knows I'm not high at all on Clague anymore). Thought Phillips would have developed more by now.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I didn't see today's game but I more or less agree outside of my personal biases, like I'd have Eyssimont over Luff. Was very pleasantly surprised by Dudas. Maybe not even surprised, half kind of expected that, but it was nice to see his game translating. Luff has been really disappointing to me in general, did he show more today?

In the grand scheme of things this isn't really surprising. Conservatively, the guys with an NHL future are nearly certainly JAD and Wagner as regulars with Dudas, Luff, Eyssimont as longshot. On D, I'd have Brickley in there as an NHLer with Strand, Moverare, Clague as maybe depth guys (but everyone knows I'm not high at all on Clague anymore). Thought Phillips would have developed more by now.

Eyssimont and Luff are very close. I'm just not very high on Eyssimont, and like you, I'm swayed by bias.

Eyssimont is an energy player and he generated chances. His best game was against Arizona. I just came away feeling Luff was a more dangerous player to the opposition as a whole.

I can't really disagree with anything in your second paragraph.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's hard to replace NHL players, this should surprise no one.

Watching the rookie/prospects play sloppy unstructured hockey is always an eye opener.

Young players need lots of work, the vast majority will never play in the NHL.

I was especially disappointed with Clague, wow did he look lost most of the time.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow, I totally didn’t know the Kings were in Vegas, I am sitting next to them at the Southwest terminal by coincidence as I am returning from a vacation and have a layover here.

I was just walking and suddenly I saw Jeff Solomon, Matt Green, Sean O’Donnell, Jarret Stoll, and the kids. Man they look green in person lol.

I haven’t watched any of the prospect action since I’ve been traveling but the scoreboards look terrible. I’ll just give them all a quick high-five and get them back on track! :P

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I've been to these rookie tournaments before, including traveling out of state to watch them, and in the big scheme of things they mean very little win or lose. The team structure is not there, players are not use to each other or the system, not every team has all their talent available or they choose to have them "graduated" and they are not on the roster. 18 year olds playing goalie. A lot of people are overly concerned about the results. Does anyone remember how they played in the rookie games that last 2 or 3 years? Not likely, because it's not that relevant. Do they want to do well? Sure. I'm reading about doom and gloom all over the place on the net, like we have the worst prospect group in the league. Far from it.

Vilardi, JAD, Clague, Brickley, Amadio, Kupari, Petersen will all play in the NHL regularly. Likely at least a few others will too. Most importantly, it's an eye opener for the kids, and Stothers will soon impose his will on the guys playing for the Reign this season. It may take a bit with so many new players, but they will come around.

Last edited:

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Was Sodergran, Hrenak, and Bullet not part of the rookie camp? Anybody know why? (I'm assuming Shafigullin's absence has to do with the whole Russian thing.....what about the others?)...... Thanks!!!!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hrenak, Hults, and Anderson could not participate due to NCAA restrictions.

Sodergran, Shafigullin, and Kupari are playing in Europe.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Was Sodergran, Hrenak, and Bullet not part of the rookie camp? Anybody know why? (I'm assuming Shafigullin's absence has to do with the whole Russian thing.....what about the others?)...... Thanks!!!!

Europe, College (not eligible for pro camp), Europe in that order. Same with Kupari too. With their teams across the pond getting ready for the season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm honestly really disappointed in Rosen's article of who stood out at rookie camp.

It's like he just wanted to do a piece article on the three names he thought the fans would find most interesting and ran with it.

Yes, JAD was easily the best player. But I don't agree that Rempal was that great (or that dangerous). Multiple times he got himself caught in trouble and he was unable to get himself out of it or generate a play out of it, like Wagner or Dudas.

And Clague? Yes, he skates well and has good skill, but he still has a long way to go. Strand showed better two way ability and Moverare showed more poise

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I'm honestly really disappointed in Rosen's article of who stood out at rookie camp.

It's like he just wanted to do a piece article on the three names he thought the fans would find most interesting and ran with it.

Yes, JAD was easily the best player. But I don't agree that Rempal was that great (or that dangerous). Multiple times he got himself caught in trouble and he was unable to get himself out of it or generate a play out of it, like Wagner or Dudas.

And Clague? Yes, he skates well and has good skill, but he still has a long way to go. Strand showed better two way ability and Moverare showed more poise

LoL. I think you should submit a "Letter of Extreme Grievance" and DEMAND that Rosen's job be handed over to you, IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I thought his assessment of the good side of Rempal was accurate. But I agree it was a total omission of the bad. And for an older prospect, those are a problem, it's not like development time will save him.

Clague...I feel like we're getting propogandized with him.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I swear to gah, I never saw this amount of criticism of Clague (his D, specifically) before the last three or so months, then everyone and their mother has takes (right or wrong) on his subpar D.

Now y'all have me thinking we have another LaDue. Where did I miss this, apparent, void in his development?

I try to stay on top of our org, and the reports of his lackluster D is so fresh to me, yet many of you were calling it out a few months ago. What am I doing wrong here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad