2018 Vancouver Whitecaps

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I heard the league put the whitecaps on blast saying they need to spend the Davies money on players

That was Don Garber.

I wouldn't be surprised to see relocation discussions heat up if the Whitecaps don't begin spending. All the potential to be a big market team in this City but a cheap ownership group has been unwilling to spend any money for some reason. The MLS probably sees this as a blown opportunity.

There are countless other cities vying for an MLS franchise.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If anyone cares....Atlanta FC won the MLS cup.

Whitecaps news:

Mezquida has been traded for MacMath. For some reason Whitecaps also acquired Crepeau. Do not get this move ....

Greg Garza might have been acquired from Atlana. Have to see who is going the other way.

Andy Rose is apparantly in Vancouver.

Waston still wants out. Both sides pushing for resolution.

Kamara is being targetted by Seattle and Portland.

----
Based on rumored tranactions...seems like more of the same with a cheap organization unwilling to make any big splashes. It even looks like the organization is shedding salary this off-season.

With Marinovic being let go as well, they need a couple of solid goalies.

With Waston traded, the Caps now need three solid CBs, an entire midfield and a couple strikers. I know they have to rebuild, but they're basically needing an entire team.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Pretty sure MacMath and Crépeau is the tandem. Colorado fans liked MacMath a fair bit (felt Howard was getting played ahead of him unjustly) and from what I recall he's got a decent track record.

Kind of sucks to see the jubilation expressed by Waston on his way out of town, though. He's been a core fixture for the Caps' back line and you don't like to see that just going up in smoke.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Pretty sure MacMath and Crépeau is the tandem. Colorado fans liked MacMath a fair bit (felt Howard was getting played ahead of him unjustly) and from what I recall he's got a decent track record.

Kind of sucks to see the jubilation expressed by Waston on his way out of town, though. He's been a core fixture for the Caps' back line and you don't like to see that just going up in smoke.

Agreed, all I've read from Colorado fans have been regret that Howard was ahead of him.

As for Waston, whenever he was out of the lineup the Caps defense sucked so I'm not looking forward to seeing a reshaped backline. But I think he didn't like the style the Caps were playing, I mean he scored more for Costa Rica than the Whitecaps it seems.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
What in the factual uck?

I blame all of you who cheer for the Blue Jays and Raptors... you've empowered Big Canadian Sport to think it's OK to blatantly treat Toronto as "Canada's Team".

Makes sense because Toronto won the last championship so they get the longest bye.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Makes sense because Toronto won the last championship so they get the longest bye.
1) There’s no need to schedule it this way with so many rounds/byes to begin with.

2) In what world does the winner of a tournament get shuttled all the way through to (almost) the end the following year? It’s not, like, a title belt.

3) If Vancouver were defending champs I’ll bet they don’t get this treatment.

CSA knows that Toronto is Canada’s only shot in the CONCACAF Champions’ League, so it’s in their interest to help get them there again, and not overtax them with games in the current cycle.

And Canadians are supposed to love it.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
1) There’s no need to schedule it this way with so many rounds/byes to begin with.

2) In what world does the winner of a tournament get shuttled all the way through to (almost) the end the following year? It’s not, like, a title belt.

3) If Vancouver were defending champs I’ll bet they don’t get this treatment.

CSA knows that Toronto is Canada’s only shot in the CONCACAF Champions’ League, so it’s in their interest to help get them there again, and not overtax them with games in the current cycle.

And Canadians are supposed to love it.

13 teams in Canada, have the three MLS teams get a bye with the other 10 fighting for 5 spots. Then you can seed the teams into two pots to ensure that the MLS teams don't face each other. It's a pretty obvious compromise. But if Toronto loses, watch CSA say that there were a load of complaints about the format and they'll change it for next year.

Reactions: Mr Plow

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
13 teams in Canada, have the three MLS teams get a bye with the other 10 fighting for 5 spots. Then you can seed the teams into two pots to ensure that the MLS teams don't face each other. It's a pretty obvious compromise. But if Toronto loses, watch CSA say that there were a load of complaints about the format and they'll change it for next year.
I feel, like, a million percent certain you're right. "This year as a compromise we've decided to give the bye to the alphabetically middle-most Canadian MLS team and, oh, look at that!"

That said, Toronto will pretty much never lose again, so it's moot.

Reactions: canadianmagpie

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015

With Waston traded, the Caps now need three solid CBs, an entire midfield and a couple strikers. I know they have to rebuild, but they're basically needing an entire team.
Glasgow Rangers fan here. Question.
How good/bad is Stephan Marinovic ?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Glasgow Rangers fan here. Question.
How good/bad is Stephan Marinovic ?
By the eye test he looked OK last year, but probably didn't steal any games for the team (he was also injured for a while). His stats ended up being in the lower third of MLS, but I think in absolute terms he wasn't that far off average, and he was behind a pretty mediocre team.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
By the eye test he looked OK last year, but probably didn't steal any games for the team (he was also injured for a while). His stats ended up being in the lower third of MLS, but I think in absolute terms he wasn't that far off average, and he was behind a pretty mediocre team.
Cheers bud,as you probably know,he is a trialist with us right now.:thumbu:

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Yeah, I just saw... I wouldn’t expect him to be all that memorable, but I also don’t follow SPL at all.
There’s me thinking the whole football world followed
the SPL since Steven Gerrard took over the Famous
Glasgow Rangers.:thumbu:

Reactions: Jyrki21

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I don't follow really follow football that much; as a result, the only Glasgow Ranger former player I remember playing here in Vancouver was WAY, WAY back in late 70s/early 80s - Willie Johnston. Here is a "famous" corner kick from said player:

Um, Kenny Miller?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Wow, whose going to score goals this year? For a sport that doesn’t have many goals to begin with and the caps losing all those goals.

Long season? Or season of surprise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad