2018 Vancouver Whitecaps

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Sucks when you watch Vancouver play after the World Cup for the past few days....

Caps always have trouble when the other team is worse than them and they have more of the ball. Robinson can't break down a defense.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Fun game last night. Davies and Kamara continue to show great chemistry... the 'Caps did kind of get away with one on their third goal, though, and I'm a bit surprised it didn't go to VAR:

6BAAA03C-AF16-4F1E-B6A7-C8660297CCE7_zpsm2gwhu3r.jpg

Sideswipe

Aug 13, 2005
Mauritius
Can anyone explain how the transfer window works? If/when we lose Davies to a Premier club, will the Whitecaps receive any form of compensation in return? Or is he essentially a free agent to sign wherever he wants?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Can anyone explain how the transfer window works? If/when we lose Davies to a Premier club, will the Whitecaps receive any form of compensation in return? Or is he essentially a free agent to sign wherever he wants?
The Whitecaps will receive full compensation, depending on how much they can get out of him in a transfer. Because he is a homegrown player, the league can't take a percentage of what we get for him, so essentially we could sell him for as much as we want and have that amount of money to put into the club, spend on DPs, etc.

Reactions: Sideswipe

Sideswipe

Aug 13, 2005
Mauritius
The Whitecaps will receive full compensation, depending on how much they can get out of him in a transfer. Because he is a homegrown player, the league can't take a percentage of what we get for him, so essentially we could sell him for as much as we want and have that amount of money to put into the club, spend on DPs, etc.
Thanks.

I wonder if they could use that to entice a decent DP to replace him

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Are there any comparables with Davies that have been transferred at 18 in terms of the fee?

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Are there any comparables with Davies that have been transferred at 18 in terms of the fee?

Not really, Gabriel Jesus moved when he was 19 to Manchester City for about $40 million but I would think that the Caps could realistically receive around $25 million with add-ons if we get the right bidder. Ideally I'd try and get him on a loan for one more year at 19 years old.

JOE_SCHMOE

Aug 26, 2003
Dumb question . . . does the club have to spend the potential transfer $$$ on players or can they just pocket the cash for profit. The 'Caps have some of the cheapest owners in the league, so I'm thinking they just pocket the money and keep the club basically is, if they're allowed to do that.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Dumb question . . . does the club have to spend the potential transfer $$$ on players or can they just pocket the cash for profit. The 'Caps have some of the cheapest owners in the league, so I'm thinking they just pocket the money and keep the club basically is, if they're allowed to do that.

They can keep it so 100% they will.

Kid will be gone sooner rather than later but that's best for him and his development.

As a Caps fan, I wouldn't hold my breath that they would replace Davies with anyone of quality.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
How do you guys follow the Caps/MLS when good young players get snatched up by teams in Europe/EPL??

Also the quality of football is so visibly inferior to European leagues.... it feels like Im watching the AHL/ECHL

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
How do you guys follow the Caps/MLS when good young players get snatched up by teams in Europe/EPL??

Also the quality of football is so visibly inferior to European leagues.... it feels like Im watching the AHL/ECHL

Simple. MLS is the best quality football/soccer we are ever going to get locally.

It's not the best but it is progressively getting better and no reason why someone can't support the local team (Caps) and support a team in Europe or South America, etc.

I've been a season ticket holder since Swangard and have just kept my expectations low because if you start comparing the best players in the world (plying their trade in Europe) with those in the MLS, you will be continuously disappointed.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Everyone must be outside :) no posts for today’s game. Probably just as well.
I think it's probably more due to the fact that the Caps sucked and got pretty much blown out by the worst team in the east.

Davies again is one of the only few bright spots...

Team is missing a big opportunity to take advantage of the market while the Canucks suck, but the product on the field is very underwhelming.

Alphonso Davies will only be here until he turns 18, then he's gone. After that, what will happen?

Oh, I know what will happen. Trash from Central/South America, or 're-investing' into the club, aka profit into ownership's pockets.

Please Aquilini or rich unnamed Chinese investor buy the team.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
It just reaffirms how important Waston is to the defense for the Caps. Complete shambles without him.

Felipe was awful, playing alongside Henry and Aja on the first goal and complains consistently which got him a yellow. Caps need to stop swarming the referee after every potential yellow or red. If I were a ref, I'd be less likely to give fouls against a team that was always in my face.

Great goal by Davies though, I turned it off after the third goal but a great goal. Shame it meant nothing.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Horrible performance but a great goal from Davies. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Team is missing a big opportunity to take advantage of the market while the Canucks suck, but the product on the field is very underwhelming.
There is a lot of truth to this, and it reminds me of what the Grizzlies were unable to do in the late ‘90s with the Canucks in a tailspin (although that wasn’t for lack of trying, like it kind of seems with the Whitecaps). The market is begging for a winner right now and it seems like a lot of money would flow from that.

All that said, Davies’ goal last night almost made the result worth it. It’s like he was thinking “Crap, time is almost up and a lot of Brits are going to be checking the highlights on this one because of Rooney, so...”

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I've pretty much stopped watching games. I'm really frustrated with the signings we've made and the style of play we've adapted due to the signings. It's become pretty obvious the ownership is happy with being a playoff bubble team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad