2018 Vancouver Whitecaps

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yikes this team is going to be bad. We really need a player brought in with the money or there’s not going up from here. Hopefully Bayern allows us to keep him for the year.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What does “addons “ and “15% of any future sale” mean?
15% of any future sale means that if Bayern ends up transferring Davies later on, the Whitecaps will get 15% of that fee, so say he goes from Bayern to Man United for 100M in 5 years, Whitecaps would get 15M of that fee.

Add ons can be many different stipulations in a transfer fee, so for example, the 12M for Davies could eventually be 18M if all the stipulations are filled. Whitecaps would’ve wanted more money, but Bayern didn’t want to give more than 12M for an relatively unknown prospect, so they made a list of objectives that if completed, results in Whitecaps gaining more funds for the transfer like:

- 1.5M if Davies appears 10 or more times in the Bundesliga before the end of the 2019-2020 season
-1M if Davies scores 3 or more goals in the Bundesliga before the end of the 2020-2021 season
-1M if Davies scores 5 international goals for Canada in World Cup Qualifiying
-2.5M if Davies makes the starting team for more than 5 games before the end of the 2020-2021 season

Feb 24, 2017
This is good. The mls is way down the rungs in terms of quality of league, so I really feel no kind of pull towards the whitecaps. I’m glad to see a young Canadian is going to get exposed to some of the best training and competition in the world. It can’t be anything but positive for our national team in the future.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Ya, I heard 13 million Euros.
Too bad for us though. Just shows where our domestic league truly is, when we can’t afford our home grown stars.
This statement is a real misrepresentation on the situation. This has nothing to do about MLS being a poor league that can't afford players.

1. Davies actual MLS contract is peanuts, I think it was less than 100k per season. More than affordable. Whitecaps could have easiky kept his rights beyond this year if they really wanted to.
2. Transfers happen all over the world. Even the best teams in the world transfer away players for a variety of factors. It's just the way things work.

For the Whitecaps this is all about providing opportunities for young players and promoting the academy. It shows young prospects that Whitecaps is a good place to grow and develop, that you might have a shot at plsying in top european leagues. Long term this great for the image of the academy program. The second part of the equation, the money is a huge value. Theoretically, Whitecaps just be able to go out and spend some of if on other players now to make their team better today. They should be able to improve the team in the short term more than keeping Davies would have(not that I trust the management to do that but that's another issue)

Reactions: Jyrki21

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Courtesy of Jyrki21 from earlier
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148084761/

I'm not great with the financial side of things when in comes to MLS. But essentially, whatever they receive in transfer fees, Whitecaps can allocate up to .75mil to reducing their general salary cost(so they can fit more salary under the cap, this applies for non-DP players), I think this application can also be spread out over multiple seasons? Also it can be traded to other teams in the league. The rest must be applied to future DP signings and associated costs or something like reinvesting into the academy.

What the Caps owners do with the money from this transfer will really paint the picture for franchise going forward and sway the attitudes of the fanbase I suspect. If they're cheap they might be spending the majority of gain to pay off debts of the academy and trade GAM for something like TAM to pay off the cost of Designated Players. If they want to keep fans happy they should be going out and spending as much of it as makes sense to bring true impact DPs(not garbagemen like Brek Shea) and general bolstering of the roster

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Luzco and Mallet have already pocketed the money, let's not kid ourselves. They'll spend maybe 500k on some 3rd division South American striker and sell it like they're bolsteting the offense, and then buy new water bottles to say they've upgraded the training facility.

Reactions: Hit the post

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Transfer Prediction Game:
Which player will we sign using Davies money:
1) Uruguayan Tier Two Top Scorer
2) New Zealand National Team Bench Midfielder
3) Peruvian speedster under 5’9

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Imagine what a DP level CAM could do for us right now... Keisuke Honda would be real nice, but no chance our ownership would allow a signing like that.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Theoretically, Whitecaps just be able to go out and spend some of if on other players now to make their team better today.
Well, er, in January 2019 when the transfer actually happens. :yashin:

Luzco and Mallet have already pocketed the money, let's not kid ourselves. They'll spend maybe 500k on some 3rd division South American striker and sell it like they're bolsteting the offense, and then buy new water bottles to say they've upgraded the training facility.
And, once again, there are rules about how they can spend the money. MLS can grant permission for some non-player costs, but they can't simply "pocket" it.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
And, once again, there are rules about how they can spend the money. MLS can grant permission for some non-player costs, but they can't simply "pocket" it.
They technically can, actually. 're-investing it into the club' can mean a myriad of things.

It's fuzzy, but they've done it in the past.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad