2018 Vancouver Whitecaps

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
They technically can, actually. 're-investing it into the club' can mean a myriad of things.

It's fuzzy, but they've done it in the past.
They would need MLS approval, and it sounds like it would have to be an expenditure "not otherwise incurred". I'm sure they could fudge something, but it would have to be some sort of genuine investment rather than paying off bills or pocketing profit.

May 31, 2006
Ya, I heard 13 million Euros.
Too bad for us though. Just shows where our domestic league truly is, when we can’t afford our home grown stars.
Literally no country except for Germany, Spain, England, and Italy can afford its own home grown stars.

This is great news for Canadian soccer. Bayern is a powerhouse top 5 club in the world. Davies could not be in better hands.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Literally no country except for Germany, Spain, England, and Italy can afford its own home grown stars.

This is great news for Canadian soccer. Bayern is a powerhouse top 5 club in the world. Davies could not be in better hands.
Call me cynical but I fear he will be lost in the shuffles and will be loaned to smaller European clubs until he comes back in his late 20’s.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

He’s player in Germany though. We don’t have him to watch make us champions, right? Our domestic league needs to keep its young stars, or how will it become better?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
He’s player in Germany though. We don’t have him to watch make us champions, right? Our domestic league needs to keep its young stars, or how will it become better?

MLS cannot afford it. Selling homegrown talent helps build the league because we can invest it back into the league.

The lowest payroll in the premiership is 61m pounds.

Championship lowest payroll is 7.4m pounds.
(44th ranked team)

Bundesliga lowest team average salary is $700k. Bayern's is 6.75m average.

Lowest average in la Liga is 650k but Barcelona and Real Madrid are both up over 8m.

Ligue 1 average for lowest team is 390k. PSG is over 8m

Liga MX average is 389k.

Median salary in MLS is 117k. Average is 316k.

Vancouver's payroll from April last year has us 9th in the league at 7m dollars. Davies transfer is nearly double that.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Regarding those who seem upset that the Whitecaps/MLS didn't try to keep Davies, you are looking at it from the wrong viewpoint.

In hockey the top league is the NHL. Every good player wants to play there and win there. Some will settle for other leagues, but far and away the top league is the NHL. No one is and should be mad that Anze Kopitar left Slovenia to play abroad and now in the NHL. Slovenia shouldn't have tried harder to keep him, they should just be happy that he is Slovenian and that his existence will try and grow the game there.

Football/soccer is the same. The top leagues are the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and the Bundesliga. No club or league worth its salt would prevent a good player from moving on.

Moreover, top/good players move around much more frequently than in hockey. Look at Ronaldo. He played for Sporting as a youth, then moved to Manchester United, then Real Madrid (which are the two richest clubs in the world) and now he is moving to Juventus in Italy. He will have played in Portugal, England, Spain and now Italy.

The incoming money will be good for the team and the league. I for one wish him the best, he has the talent to be the greatest Canadian footballer yet

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya, I heard 13 million Euros.
Too bad for us though. Just shows where our domestic league truly is, when we can’t afford our home grown stars.

There are like 5 teams in the entire world that can afford and keep their home-grown stars. A team as big as Liverpool couldn't keep a Raheem Sterling when Man City came calling. Everton couldn't keep Wayne Rooney. Southampton (and later Tottenham) couldn't keep Gareth Bale. None of the top teams in big football countries like the Netherlands/Belgium/Portugal keep their star players past age 20. It's just how it works.

Anyway, maybe the best performance ever from a Whitecaps player tonight. Will be fun to watch his career over the next 8 years leading up to the 2026 World Cup.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Call me cynical but I fear he will be lost in the shuffles and will be loaned to smaller European clubs until he comes back in his late 20’s.
For the record:
J.J. Adams said:
The young Whitecap has been promised first-team minutes, with no loans or residency spells, shown how they want him to fit into the team’s playing style, and the off-field support a teenager alone in a foreign country needs — from German lessons (“It’s not good, he smiled. “I don’t think I know any”) to food and lodging.

Art of the Alphonso Davies deal: How a special bond made for dramatic, lucrative transfer

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Just saw the highlights from last night. Probably the most dominant performance in MLS from a Canadian that I can remember. This kid is special.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Earlier on in the season - I can't remember the game, Orlando maybe he was absolutely dominant running down the left side. Basically they pretty much hauled him down every time he took a run. It was Orlando because he kept running at Will Johnson. But I think 3 of the Orlando back line were sitting on yellow cards by the half and they had to make substitutions to avoid being down to 9 or 10 players. That was dominant.

But even over the last month his game has evolved. His footwork is excellent - he is not just about speed down the wing. In the last couple of games his confidence has soared and he is more willing to shoot and cut into the middle of the field. His anticipation / vision has also improved as he has shown the ability to run into space to receive a pass or puts the ball into space for a teammate to run onto. His commitment to defense is also more than adequate. As an offensive player the only things he hasn't really shown are much of an aerial game (not unexpected for a 17 year old going up against men) and high quality service into the box - which is not really his role.

Last night, after a slow start, Davies and Yordi Reyna (who also had an excellent night) opened up the Minnesota defense and were basically able to create chances at will. Davies could have had a hat-trick if that spin move at the top of the box in the 2nd half had worked.

May 31, 2006
It depends on how much gas Ribery has left in the tank for next season. Davies would replace Ribery quite seamlessly on that left side. But who knows if he’s ready. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I feel dizzy watching this game tonight. What a terrible field to play on and such weird camera angle. Ugly baseball diamond I guess.

Awful place.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Haven't watched a lot of the caps over the past two seasons.

That's not the Hurtado I remember. He would usually f*** that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad