2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Hearing that the bronze medal game will be at 10 am, gold at 2:00pm ast, on Sunday.
I expect that saturday's semi's will be at 12 and 4pm, due to the short turnaround on Sunday.
That early again this year, I think UNB was pushing for an evening start time, but that isn't in the hosts control, obviously.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I doubt Sportsnet would bite, but I wonder if there is any chance the tournament goes back to the old 6 game format next year to give Lethbridge 2 games. I can see them going 1 and done if it’s single elimination.

The 8 team format works well for Halifax as it would give the AUS three entries (at least two of which are likely to be NS schools), which would help drive attendance.

Speaking of Sportsnet...anyone know when their current agreement is up? I would love TSN to get it and help build it up ala the World Juniors. Sportsnet has too much stuff on the go that time of year with their NHL rights/Blue Jays starting/etc. IMO.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So its going to be Lethbridge hosting in 2019 and Acadia in 2020. Best of luck to Lethbridge in their recruiting effort this offseason.

Those who propose Acadia 2019 are forgetting the possibility of the Memorial Cup in Halifax. That would be a blow to sponsorship for the U-Cup.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
With Leithbridge getting ucup in 2019 if rumours are true, they are miles away from being competitive with top teams in USports.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Hosting the UCup For a program like Lethbridge who came close folding, is a big deal. They won it all in the 90's under a guy named Mike Babcock.
Babcock calls that one of the highlights of his coaching career.
Maybe they can get him involved in some kind of minor capacity.
He still keeps tabs on McGill.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The fact that Lethbridge will be losing 3 5th year players and possibly some 4th year players doesn't really help their situation as well.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
All they need is Calgary, MRU or Alberta in the mix and they will draw road fans - which maybe all they need (plus some sponsors). Market a Cinderella story and get a big draw for your lone Friday game and maybe they get an upset - you never know. They will likely be the host and get the AUS or OUA champion in the first round which is hard, but play a trap and hold on.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Hearing that the bronze medal game will be at 10 am, gold at 2:00pm ast, on Sunday.
I expect that saturday's semi's will be at 12 and 4pm, due to the short turnaround on Sunday.
That early again this year, I think UNB was pushing for an evening start time, but that isn't in the hosts control, obviously.

Hard to get a night slot against Rogers Hometown Hockey on the main SPNet channels.

The SportsNet contract is up at the end of next year " ... runs through the 2018-19 academic year"

Television: CIS and Sportsnet announce 6-year deal - U SPORTS - English

CWFan1963

Jan 29, 2018
Hello, I am a long time board reader but first time poster. I have been reading everyone's opinion on Lethbridge being a host and as a long time Dinos fan I would like to chime in. It is easy to take a quick glance and see the Lethbridge team that got beatup by Alberta this weekend and see a team that battles to make playoffs. But lets not jump allover them so fast and lets take a look at the history.

they got a new coach in 2014-15 who came in without chance to recruit. Look at what they have done since that season. back to back 11 win seasons, always match up vs Manitoba and BC evenly, they have beat Alberta 3 times since then and once in Edmonton. They have beat Saskatchewan in Saskatoon and always playy them well and get points and beat them this year as well.

And they have always had great great games against my Dinos and beat us straight up 3 times this season.

Last two seasons they missed out on playoffs on the last game of the season. might happen again this year in an injury plagued year for them, who knows.

yes, they are not UNB, ALberta, Saskatchewan and so on. but lets not jump all over tthem quite yet. 3 years ago they were a team that was lucky to get 5 wins. Some things they have accomplished in the last 3 years hadn't been done with the program in 7-10 seasons. they are in the right direction and their coach does as good of a job as he can recruiting. take a quick glance at the roster he took over compared to the roster now. a lot of whl players coming in now. He knows what hes doing.

lastly lets not forget the level of CW hockey. On any given night, i would put up lethbridge against most OUA teams for the win. So if they host and get bumped in the first round whats the difference from the Ontario schools it happens to every year? They will do a good job as hosts and the fact they got it is a testament to their coach and administration.

Lets give them a chance here.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Ah, the old "CW level of play" comment aimed at the OUA. Never fails to entertain.

Let's neglect, for a minute, the fact that no CW team other than Alberta and Saskatchewan has been in the UCup finals more than once.

As I've said many, many times, the CWUAA has Alberta, and any and all arguments about its relative merit as a conference revolve around the Golden Bears' complete and utter domination of the league. Sask jumps in once in a while to stir things up, and there's always Manitoba and Calgary close behind ... but when one team routinely wins 90% of its Conference games enroute to the University Cup, there's not much of an argument to be made ... one dominant team does not a strong conference make.

Ah, you say, but surely there is some evidence of Lethbridge's ability to beat OUA squads?

In the past two seasons, Lethbridge and RMC have each played Western twice. RMC is 2-0 against Western, whereas Lethbridge is 1-1. Discuss.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hello, I am a long time board reader but first time poster. I have been reading everyone's opinion on Lethbridge being a host and as a long time Dinos fan I would like to chime in. It is easy to take a quick glance and see the Lethbridge team that got beatup by Alberta this weekend and see a team that battles to make playoffs. But lets not jump allover them so fast and lets take a look at the history.

they got a new coach in 2014-15 who came in without chance to recruit. Look at what they have done since that season. back to back 11 win seasons, always match up vs Manitoba and BC evenly, they have beat Alberta 3 times since then and once in Edmonton. They have beat Saskatchewan in Saskatoon and always playy them well and get points and beat them this year as well.

And they have always had great great games against my Dinos and beat us straight up 3 times this season.

Last two seasons they missed out on playoffs on the last game of the season. might happen again this year in an injury plagued year for them, who knows.

yes, they are not UNB, ALberta, Saskatchewan and so on. but lets not jump all over tthem quite yet. 3 years ago they were a team that was lucky to get 5 wins. Some things they have accomplished in the last 3 years hadn't been done with the program in 7-10 seasons. they are in the right direction and their coach does as good of a job as he can recruiting. take a quick glance at the roster he took over compared to the roster now. a lot of whl players coming in now. He knows what hes doing.

lastly lets not forget the level of CW hockey. On any given night, i would put up lethbridge against most OUA teams for the win. So if they host and get bumped in the first round whats the difference from the Ontario schools it happens to every year? They will do a good job as hosts and the fact they got it is a testament to their coach and administration.

While it is true they are improving and appear to be on the right track, it’s hard to imagine they will improve enough by next year to be a legit contender. Maybe if they had a couple of years to prepare.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

First of all, nice to hear from a boards fan from CanadaWest!
Regardless of how good they will be, they will get their chance.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Lethbridge did get smacked by Alberta. However, they have done very well the last 3 years. They were a terrible program but have turned things around. They would have precious little chance to qualify for the U-Cup unless as a host.

In my view, teams who qualify as host are not a bona fide qualifier and have no claim to the national title. So on that basis, I'd not be averse to seeing RMC or Regina host after Lethbridge takes a turn.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Ah, the old "CW level of play" comment aimed at the OUA. Never fails to entertain.

Let's neglect, for a minute, the fact that no CW team other than Alberta and Saskatchewan has been in the UCup finals more than once.

As I've said many, many times, the CWUAA has Alberta, and any and all arguments about its relative merit as a conference revolve around the Golden Bears' complete and utter domination of the league. Sask jumps in once in a while to stir things up, and there's always Manitoba and Calgary close behind ... but when one team routinely wins 90% of its Conference games enroute to the University Cup, there's not much of an argument to be made ... one dominant team does not a strong conference make.

Ah, you say, but surely there is some evidence of Lethbridge's ability to beat OUA squads?

In the past two seasons, Lethbridge and RMC have each played Western twice. RMC is 2-0 against Western, whereas Lethbridge is 1-1. Discuss.
Lots of stuff here.

RMC has had a funny season. They started 0-8-1 then beat UQTR 3 straight times, and followed that shortly thereafter with a win over UWO. During their turn-around period they were 5-0-2. That was followed by a 0-6-0 run leading up to their loss to the US Army team. All of this makes RMC a poor measuring stick.

Lethbridge is 7-14-3 in the CW and UWO is 11-9-3 in the OUA. That the teams would split is consistent with the history of results between the two conferences. OUA teams who would not have home ice advantage in the playoffs are typically not playoff calibre CW teams.

This makes total sense. Every team in the CW has at least 20 WHL scholarship grads on campus (though not necessarily on the hockey team). Even Regina is a combination of major junior and junior A grads. In the OUA, they typically have a handful of major junior grads, a lot of junior A, and most teams even dip into junior B.

From my observation (I seldom miss Bison games), a mid-rank OUA team is like seeing Regina come to town for pre-season. The Bisons have sometimes lost (to Regina and OUA teams) in such circumstances but usually the result was at least somewhat contrary to the flow of play.

There have been inter-conference games between the west and Ontario dating back to 1946. (See Toronto Varsity Blues at Wikia.) Toronto came west and played two games (a 2-2 tie and 8-4 loss) against Manitoba, then stopped off in Port Arthur to get beaten two more times by the Bearcats.

I have checked out my personal archives and (allowing for a missed game here and there), these are the results since 2010:

2010-11
Sep 24 Brock 2 Manitoba 6
Sep 25 Brock 1 Manitoba 8

2011-12
Sep 16 Brock 5 Saskatchewan 3
Sep 17 Brock 1 Regina 6
Dec 02 Calgary 2 Lakehead 4
Dec 03 Calgary 4 Lakehead 5 (ot)

2012-13
no games

2013-14
Sep 28 Toronto 4 Manitoba 1
Sep 29 Toronto 2 Manitoba 4
Nov 01 Alberta 7 Lakehead 5
Nov 02 Alberta 7 Lakehead 2

2014-15
Sep 19 Manitoba 4 Toronto 0
Sep 19 Mount Royal 2 Lakehead 0
Sep 20 Manitoba 4 Toronto 0
Sep 20 Mount Royal 5 Lakehead 4 (ot)
Sep 21 Manitoba 5 Ryerson 4

2015-16
Sep 25 Manitoba 3 Lakehead 4
Sep 26 Manitoba 6 Lakehead 2

2016-17
Sep 23 Ryerson 1 U.B.C. 4
Sep 24 Ryerson 6 U.B.C. 3
Sep 30 Lethbridge 4 Lakehead 2
Oct 01 Lethbridge 5 Lakehead 4
Oct 07 Manitoba 6 Lakehead 3
Oct 08 Manitoba 5 Lakehead 4

In total, the CW teams are 16-6-1 before this season.

At the University Cup, the Wikia table (see List of University Cup Playoffs at Wikia) gives the CW a 24-11 lead.

So Lethbridge (likely to miss this year's playoffs) is on par with an OUA team which could, with two mild upsets, be in the OUA's final 4 from which 3 teams qualify for the U-Cup. To be fair, the prospects of Lethbridge a year from now are no worse than the odds of the Windsor and Waterloo type of teams we have seen lately.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
"All of this makes RMC a poor measuring stick."

RMC is a great measuring stick because they struggle mightily. When they're beating UWO, it really puts Lethbridge's win over UWO in context.

"At the University Cup, the Wikia table (see List of University Cup Playoffs at Wikia) gives the CW a 24-11 lead."

I think you mean "gives Alberta and Saskatchewan a 24-11 lead." No other CW teams make it to the U-Cup with any regularity.

The only CW team other than AB and SK to make it in the past 6 years is Calgary, and they went 0-1 vs. the OUA (list 6-3 to Guelph),

As I said before, there's Alberta and then there's everybody else, but one dominant program does not a dominant conference make.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
"All of this makes RMC a poor measuring stick."

RMC is a great measuring stick because they struggle mightily. When they're beating UWO, it really puts Lethbridge's win over UWO in context.

"At the University Cup, the Wikia table (see List of University Cup Playoffs at Wikia) gives the CW a 24-11 lead."

I think you mean "gives Alberta and Saskatchewan a 24-11 lead." No other CW teams make it to the U-Cup with any regularity.

The only CW team other than AB and SK to make it in the past 6 years is Calgary, and they went 0-1 vs. the OUA (list 6-3 to Guelph),

As I said before, there's Alberta and then there's everybody else, but one dominant program does not a dominant conference make.

The point about RMC is that they beat UWO when they were on a 5-0-2 roll which included 3 wins over UQTR. UWO lost to RMC but also beat Ottawa, Windsor (twice), Laurier (twice), Queen's, Waterloo, Ryerson, York, and Lakehead (twice). By your measure, that would put Lethbridge equal to or ahead of all those teams. (There are reasonable odds that one of those teams will qualify for the U-Cup.)

As for U-Cup records, you define the problem. Alberta has been the dominant team nation-wide and getting past them has been an enormous task.

The cumulative record in non-conference play is even more extreme than that in U-Cup play. And that involves more than Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Even in U-Cup play the records in the 2000s onwards are:

2004-05:
Manitoba 4 UQTR 1
Alberta 5 Manitoba 1

2009-10
Manitoba 5 McGill 4
St. Mary's 5 Manitoba 0

2010-11
UNB 2 Calgary 1
UWO 3 Calgary 2

2014-15
Guelph 3 Calgary 1

It could well be argued that Manitoba and Calgary (and MRU and UBC for that matter) have had several teams good enough (by OUA standards) to qualify for the U-Cup of they did not have to beat Alberta to get there.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
"It could well be argued that Manitoba and Calgary (and MRU and UBC for that matter) have had several teams good enough (by OUA standards) to qualify for the U-Cup of they did not have to beat Alberta to get there."

That's the only argument anyone ever forwards from Canada West. Yet, Alberta routinely wins 80-90% of its games in Canada West, so it's not as if anyone outside of Saskatchewan is exactly nipping on their heels.

I will give Lethbridge credit for one thing - they're the only CW team that's gone on the road east of Thunder Bay. All of the other non-Lakehead games you cite involved an OUA team going on the road.

You should also note that the 23 games comprising your 16-6-1 record involve 12 games involving Lakehead, in which CW teams sport a 9-2-1 record against Lakehead. So, 7-4 against teams not called Lakehead, with all but two of those games taking place west of the 100th Meridian.

I've been involved in the OUA, and I lived in Alberta for 12 years. I've seen all the teams live in both leagues. The Golden Bears have always been miles ahead of the rest of the CW, save for a couple lean years from roughly 2014-16. Their depth is unparalleled (outside of UNB), and there's never really been a doubt that they'll be at the U Cup every year. Really.

But once you get past Alberta, the rest of the CW is on par with the OUA with perhaps one exception ... the bottom teams in the CW have not bottomed out as spectacularly as the bottom teams in the OUA. RMC, Ryerson and (sometimes) Queen's in the early 2000's were a sight to behold, filled with kids who topped out at Juvenile or Midget AA. There was some truly awful hockey going on with that trio.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Personally I'm excited about Lethbridge Hosting the University Cup. Its been too long since a chance has been giving to another program.

I'm sure Lethbridges program will improve by next season but I have no issue with how strong they are considered. Maybe it ends up being a David vs Goliath battle for Lethbridge and if they upset, it will create some renewed excitement for the program.

As good as UNB has been since early/mid nineties, weve certainly lost games I expected to be a cakewalk. Nothing is a giving in a one game showdown

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
"It could well be argued that Manitoba and Calgary (and MRU and UBC for that matter) have had several teams good enough (by OUA standards) to qualify for the U-Cup of they did not have to beat Alberta to get there."

That's the only argument anyone ever forwards from Canada West. Yet, Alberta routinely wins 80-90% of its games in Canada West, so it's not as if anyone outside of Saskatchewan is exactly nipping on their heels.

I will give Lethbridge credit for one thing - they're the only CW team that's gone on the road east of Thunder Bay. All of the other non-Lakehead games you cite involved an OUA team going on the road.

You should also note that the 23 games comprising your 16-6-1 record involve 12 games involving Lakehead, in which CW teams sport a 9-2-1 record against Lakehead. So, 7-4 against teams not called Lakehead, with all but two of those games taking place west of the 100th Meridian.

I've been involved in the OUA, and I lived in Alberta for 12 years. I've seen all the teams live in both leagues. The Golden Bears have always been miles ahead of the rest of the CW, save for a couple lean years from roughly 2014-16. Their depth is unparalleled (outside of UNB), and there's never really been a doubt that they'll be at the U Cup every year. Really.

But once you get past Alberta, the rest of the CW is on par with the OUA with perhaps one exception ... the bottom teams in the CW have not bottomed out as spectacularly as the bottom teams in the OUA. RMC, Ryerson and (sometimes) Queen's in the early 2000's were a sight to behold, filled with kids who topped out at Juvenile or Midget AA. There was some truly awful hockey going on with that trio.
Couple minor things:

1. Lakehead had a winning record in all but 2 of those seasons.

2. Manitoba's trip to the Big Lemon is included in those scores. They played 3 games in 3 days and won them all (2 v Toronto and 1 v Ryerson).

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Personally I'm excited about Lethbridge Hosting the University Cup. Its been too long since a chance has been giving to another program.

I'm sure Lethbridges program will improve by next season but I have no issue with how strong they are considered. Maybe it ends up being a David vs Goliath battle for Lethbridge and if they upset, it will create some renewed excitement for the program.

As good as UNB has been since early/mid nineties, weve certainly lost games I expected to be a cakewalk. Nothing is a giving in a one game showdown
Maybe the Hørny Ønes will knock off UNB in the opener! There exists a strong possibility that they would play each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad