2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I am pretty sure that there was a missed call on the UNB player just before the third goal, but they were pretty brutal last night. Almost to O'Shaughnessy level of officiating. You are right, if it hadn't of been a playoff game, it might have gotten ugly. Although, Copper did get a good shot in from the bench. LOL

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I thought the calls were pretty even and warranted. UNB was actually lucky on the Goulet's slash - a stick to the groin generally results in a 4min spearing call.

I thought the boarding call could have been CFB. A 10min misconduct, in the middle of the 2nd, isn't the end of the world and the league has all day Tuesday to review it.

The trip/dive call at the end was game management. With a 3 goal lead and 3min left, he had to call the trip, but didn't feel it warranted a Power Play (just 'bad luck') so he calls the dive to even it up. You may not like it, but at this stage the ref's just trying to get to the end of the game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
...for which he received a GM, so he's out for G2 and Lewis is in :sarcasm:
Is that automatic? I don't see anything in the rules, just says that a report will be submitted. I honestly am not sure. I am not sure how Spears wasn't assessed the same, as he was the one that started it.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Is that automatic? I don't see anything in the rules, just says that a report will be submitted. I honestly am not sure. I am not sure how Spears wasn't assessed the same, as he was the one that started it.

It's a Hockey Canada Rule: Rule 7.3 Interference

(d) ... or where a player on the ice is interfered with by an opposing player or team official on
the players’ or penalty bench (whether or not play is in progress) and the Referee is able to identify the person responsible; that person shall be assessed a Bench Minor penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty.

He should sit the next game as a result.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
The announced crowd of 2,807 was certainly generous. Pretty sure there wasnt more than 1900 people there

UNB got the start they needed vs X who have mastered the art of playing the trap to perfection vs UNB in the playoffs over the years

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
After the loss to Western at home in the University Cup and the 2003 lost to UQTR on the semi in Fredericton I take no opponent lightly.

Anything can happen in 1 game you just never know. If you make it to the University Cup your good enough to compete or never would have made it that far

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
With SFX jumping over USK in the latest Top 10, we could see UNB and SFX on the same side of the draw with ALB and USK on the bottom side paving the wayfor a East/East and West/West semi.

It will be interesting to see how the final draw shakes out.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X will look to rebound in game #2, on home ice.
In game #1, bad start, giving up 3 goals in under 5 minutes and outshot double (41-22). They didn't generate any offence on the pp 0-7, which was a surprise.
They have a knack for being outshot, but are opportunistic to say the least and usually have a much better rate of success on the pp.
I expect a much closer score in game #2, as well as on the shot clock.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Adjusting to the 3 hour time change is the biggest adjustment. They also wouldn't know if they will play Thursday or Friday. UNB (host team) looks after all of the hotel and meal cost, remember.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
It's a Hockey Canada Rule: Rule 7.3 Interference

(d) ... or where a player on the ice is interfered with by an opposing player or team official on
the players’ or penalty bench (whether or not play is in progress) and the Referee is able to identify the person responsible; that person shall be assessed a Bench Minor penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty.

He should sit the next game as a result.
Still nothing showing on the discipline page for Cooper, you would assume that it would be posted already. With the penalty only being a 2 minute minor, I didn't think that their was an automatic suspension. Either way, Lewis will be back in and Cooper might be watching from the stands. We will see tonight!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB should go in at #1 and face either Concordia or York on Thursday night.
Alberta #2 will most likely face the AUS runner up, either Acadia, which would be a re-match of last years Quarter final or SMU, depending on who wins game #3 friday night.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta
hearing that the team will be flying into Halifax on monday??
Staying and practicing in Halifax, then busing to Fredericton on wednesday.
That is a 5 hour drive.
This is not confirmed.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
McGill should go in at #3 and Brock #4.
Saskatchewan #5, X #6 or X #5 and Sask #6.
SMU or Acadia #7
Concordia or York #8
McGill vs X or Sask
Brock vs X or Sask
Wouldn't they stick pretty close to the last Ucup top ten?
#1 UNB
#2 Alberta
#3 McGill
#4 Sask
#5 X
#6 Brock
#7 Acadia or SMU
#8 Concordia or York

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
My guess for the UCup rankings are as follows:

1. UNB
2. Alberta
3. McGill or Brock (winner)
4. McGill or Brock (loser)
5. Saskatchewan
6. X
7. Acadia or SMU
8. Concordia or York

Each of the conference champs and the OUA runner-up must make up the top 4. IMO, UNB and X will not be in the same pool even though X was ranked higher in the last Top 10 than Saskatchewan.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
My guess for the UCup rankings are as follows:

1. UNB
2. Alberta
3. McGill or Brock (winner)
4. McGill or Brock (loser)
--
5. Saskatchewan
6. X
7. Acadia or SMU
8. Concordia or York

Each of the conference champs and the OUA runner-up must make up the top 4. IMO, UNB and X will not be in the same pool even though X was ranked higher in the last Top 10 than Saskatchewan.
I agree. I suspect X may drop in the rankings now and actually be ranked lower than USK (which would be ideal) or the tournament committee may swap 5/6 to avoid it. That said - if you're UNB, why wouldn't you want to play them again - it's about getting to the finals isn't it? That said, a possible UNB-USK and SFX-ALB semi-final would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad