2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
USport 56th University Cup - Fredericton, New Brunswick
March 15-18th
Aitken University Centre (cap. 3,600) - UNB-Fredericton Campus

This will be the 4th year of the 8-team-single elimination tournament.

The Conference Champions will be seeded 1-3.
The OUA Runner-up (Queen's Cup runner-up) is seeded 4th.
The remaining Conference Runner-ups and OUA 3rd are seeded 5-7th.
The Host, if no already one of the other seeds, is generally 8th.

Seeding of 1-3 and 5-8 are defined by the pre-tournament MHKY USport Top 10 Rankings.

The Awards Banquet is Wed. March 14th.

This is the 6th time UNB has hosted Nationals, or 3rd successful bid (2002 & 2003, 2011 & 2012 and 2016 & 2017).

Previous Nationals at UNB
2017 - UNB(#5) over USK(#6)
2012 - McGill(#2) over UWO(#4)
2011 - UNB(#1) over McGill(#2)
2004 - SFX(#2) over UNB(#6)
2003 - UQTR(#2) over SFX(#6)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well - with only 12 games left, thought I would create a thread for this year's UCup.

At this stage, it looks like a 4-team race; ALB, UNB, USK & SFX.

It would be great to see two East/West semi-finals or a CW/AUS Finals rematch.

Taking some liberties with the OUA Teams, the seeding's could look like this if ranked teams advanced as ordered.
#1-ALB vs #8-(SMU/ACD)
#4-GPH/RYN vs #5-USK
--
#2-UNB vs #7-UQT
#3-McG vs #6-SFX

Lots of great stories here (swap 5 & 6, UNB plays Friday which means ALB+USK having to play on the first day, ALB vs ACD again,..)

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I don't see UQTR getting out of the OUA East. Concordia has better coaching, and Carleton is stronger. One of those two, plus McGill, will make it through.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
2018/19 & 2019/20 BID TIMELINE

In case you were curious about the next host - here is the timeline for the next tournament bids.

BID PROCEDURE and TIMELINES
- Call for Bids: August 16, 2017
- Confirmation of intent to bid via email: September 12, 2017
- Deadline for submission of questions: December 1, 2017
- Bid Submission Date: December 8, 2017
- Presentation of Bids to Committee: December 13, 2017
- Selection of Winners and Notification: December 20, 2017

Financial Disclosure worth noting:

Payment of a Rights Fee (no exceptions) of $75,000-$125,000.
Globe and Mail Promotional Campaign of $5,000.00
Payment of 12.5% of ticket revenue
Payment of 50% of revenue generated from 50/50 raffles
Payment Webcasting Director $1,500 including travel (Mandatory).
Digital platform fee of $8,000 (Optional)
following these payments there are also revenue sharing agreements for sponsors & advertising

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
2018/19 & 2019/20 BID TIMELINE

In case you were curious about the next host - here is the timeline for the next tournament bids.

BID PROCEDURE and TIMELINES
- Call for Bids: August 16, 2017
- Confirmation of intent to bid via email: September 12, 2017
- Deadline for submission of questions: December 1, 2017
- Bid Submission Date: December 8, 2017
- Presentation of Bids to Committee: December 13, 2017
- Selection of Winners and Notification: December 20, 2017

Financial Disclosure worth noting:

Payment of a Rights Fee (no exceptions) of $75,000-$125,000.
Globe and Mail Promotional Campaign of $5,000.00
Payment of 12.5% of ticket revenue
Payment of 50% of revenue generated from 50/50 raffles
Payment Webcasting Director $1,500 including travel (Mandatory).
Digital platform fee of $8,000 (Optional)
following these payments there are also revenue sharing agreements for sponsors & advertising
I have been told that the UPEI Panthers have/are submitting a bid. Not sure how accurate that is.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Here are some other interesting items from the USPORTS HOCKEY (M) BID Book
- You can bid on one(1) or both Men’s Hockey Championship. There is no particular scoring criteria that spells out a higher score for hosting both, but you would likely get a higher score in the 'Revenue' area compared to a single bidder. It's also worded that there will only be one championship over the two years (bad grammar). It is quite possible that two separate 'single' events are hosted back-2-back which would be interesting.
- All revenues from local sponsorships (less than $10,000 in cash) will remain with
the Host.
- Webcasting will be a 3 camera production including 1 camera at field level (4th camera for Gold game), Instant replays (with U SPORTS branded transition) & 720p quality @ 2Mbps bitrate. The broadcaster will have final say on any potential livestreaming partner.
- There must be a separate hotel booked for officials (double occupancy)
- The Host hotel(s) must have free Wifi located throughout

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Is there any mention about the format? Does USports or the host decide whether they want to keep the current format or change it? I imagine Sportsnet must have some say as well?? I assume they almost certainly prefer the current set-up?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I have been told that the UPEI Panthers have/are submitting a bid. Not sure how accurate that is.

I think that's true. Others are "rumored" to be: Acadia, Lethbridge and Ryerson. My guess is that if Halifax gets the Memorial Cup, Acadia won't get the bid. I would guess that Ryerson will get the bid. Possibly Ryerson gets the bid even if there is no Cup for Halifax. There have been a lot of U-Cups in the AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking at Google, they announced 3 cities for 2018 in November 2016 and announced the finalist in Feb 2017.
From the Halifax Moosehead site: The winning bid of the 2019 Memorial Cup is expected to be announced in spring of 2018.

U-Cup Selection of Winners and Notification: December 20, 2017.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Is there any mention about the format? Does USports or the host decide whether they want to keep the current format or change it? I imagine Sportsnet must have some say as well?? I assume they almost certainly prefer the current set-up?

USPORTS dictates the format as outline in the BID. The format remains the same (eight teams, single elimination with Bronze game) and the qualifications remain the same (three champions, OUA runner-up, AUS runner-up, CW runner-up, OUA Bronze and Host).

It was my understanding that both the CIS/USPORTS and Sportsnet wanted a format change that would see Saturday winner's advance which wasn't always the case in the two-pool format.

The 'broadcaster' has input/control over Sat & Sun game times.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Looking at Google, they announced 3 cities for 2018 in November 2016 and announced the finalist in Feb 2017.
From the Halifax Moosehead site: The winning bid of the 2019 Memorial Cup is expected to be announced in spring of 2018.

So the USPORTS announcement will be prior to the Memorial Cup announcement and both events 'could' be in the same city. If there are some good non-AUS bids, I would think the tournament will be outside the Maritimes.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I really wish they would go back to afternoon/night games on the weekend instead of playing at 12pm/4pm.

It could happen - this year the BB championships are the week before Hockey, so there is less USPORTS completion (just the Men and Women's tournaments).

Sportsnet-West is carrying the Oilers vs Panthers game on Saturday afternoon and Dallas/Winnipeg on Sunday for Rogers Hometown Hockey (that's the issue - SN uses the other channels for non-hockey content on Sunday night). The Raptors are on TSN Sunday afternoon, so at least that's not in the way.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
When do the announce the winner of the 2019 Memorial Cup bid though?
Was just announced that Moncton will be hosting the 2019 Memorial Cup. This may help Acadia's bid for the UCup!

Sorry, I saw a tweet that said that they had been awarded the 2019 Memorial Cup, but indeed it was to announce that they were bidding on to host it.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
EDIT - I see they just announced they were bidding on it...I thought they had been awarded the tournament.

Interesting...didn’t think that was going to be announced until the spring.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Mary Cranston
Moncton Wildcats will host the 2019 memorial cup at the new downtown event centre
Sorry, I jumped the gun, saw that they were making an announcement today, and then saw this on twitter. So I guess it is that they are bidding to host the 2019 Memorial Cup, should be interesting, since Halifax wants to host as well. New building vs 25th Anniversary.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

If I had to bet on it I would have to say that U-Sports will end up pick Acadia (Halifax) to host because they will make more $$$.
Of course I would not be surprised if Ryerson get it because of their location in Toronto.
Would be extremely surprised if Lethbridge wins the bid.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I would like to see them go to Ryerson for a year, but two years is a gamble in a market that could be a bust!
I can't speak for Lethbridge, but remember that the HOC must be aware that the host may only get one game, that's under the new single knockout structure. You need to be good and lucky to advance past the top CIS schools at this tournament. So , what will the stands look like after these two hosts get knocked out following their first game?? Recent hosts, such as, Fredericton and Halifax have proven to still put fans in the seats. It's the only game in Freddy and having 3 local maritime schools helped attendance in Halifax.
U of A, Sask, might help in Lethbridge, as they have a pretty good following and Alumni, especially the Bears.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ryerson would be a good bet if the CIS wants to "grow" the game. Problem is that there is SO MUCH TO DO in Toronto. Will they get fans? I'm guessing the reason UPEI dropped out is that they realized they don't have a team and the costs will be too much.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Would the CIS risk putting it somewhere where the host team isn’t that great? That could turn out disastrous, especially if it somewhere that doesn’t draw well anyways.

If I had to put odds on it I would go Ryerson-Acadia-Lethbridge.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I would argue that Acadia is a better team and a better draw than Ryerson. Ryerson did bid a few years ago for 1 year of hockey and 1 year of B-Ball and got rejected in favor of UNB. We'll see on Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->