2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Oh I completely agree (and I hope they do get it)...but I just have a hard time believing they will go back to Halifax so soon (and the Maritimes yet again).

We’ll see though...last time they took the sure thing (UNB) over the lesser team/market (UofT) so it should be interesting to see if they do the same thing this go around. I would think at some point they need to try somewhere different, but on the other hand I have argued that the CIS isn’t really in a position to be taking too big of risks with one of their marquee events.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I would argue that Acadia is a better team and a better draw than Ryerson. Ryerson did bid a few years ago for 1 year of hockey and 1 year of B-Ball and got rejected in favor of UNB. We'll see on Wednesday.

Ryerson University has never Bid for Hockey, that was University of Toronto

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I'm hearing that OUA may get B-Ball, so that may have and impact on hockey.

Hearing Same. 2019 Men’s Basketball rumour @ Ryerson

Hockey I can see three scenarios
2019 Acadia 2020 Leithbridge
2019 Acadia 2020 Ryerson
2019 Ryerson 2020 Acadia

2019 Ryerson bid depends on Basketball and I’m not sold on Leithbridge due to fact there team doesn’t win

If Usports wants to shock everyone go with Carleton2019
Ryerson 2020

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Victor Findlay has proposed a few scenarios for 2019-20 with Lethbridge getting 2019 and Acadia getting 2020. This makes sense on several levels. Good chance Ryerson gets B-Ball for 2019 and Halifax gets Memorial Cup for 2019. Giving the U-Cup to Lethbridge ( a non-hockey market for CIS and a perennial non-playoff team) will cover the bases for 2019 and Acadia in 2020 will make up for the mistake in 2019. We'll know today....

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
We won't know today. The CIS has postponed the announcement until Friday at the earliest, but likely in the new year. Hearing that Ryerson is out of the picture, leaving Lethbridge and Acadia.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was at a party last night talking with a guy (shall remain nameless) who has in the past done WJ in Halifax, both U-Cups in Halifax, Beach Volleyball and other stuff. We discussed this and he is of the opinion that CIS is happy with hockey and B-Ball but not with Vanier Cup. His thought is that the CIS wants to get back with the CFL and that will take a couple of years to work that out. In the meantime, they are looking for a home for the Vanier. Once that gets resolved they can better see who "should" get B-Ball and Hockey.

Not sure of that theory... Also, Halifax is bidding for B-Ball (Acadia/Dal) for 2019 and 2020.
Also learned from another source that Lethbridge bid was very attractive financially.

Edit: To clarify the B-Ball thing, it's Women's B-Ball for 2019-2020

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Now, my two cents in why they opt for one year. The Pronghorns have averaged 189 fans per game, through 7 home games this year. So despite the rumour that their bid is financially attractive, the host as in most cases, may have a challenge filling the seats. Sportsnet for one, it is priority for the building to look full, which leads to a better atmosphere, for the student athlete. Now, taking this to the bigger home of the WHL Hurricanes and attracting their fan base would obviously be key for the HOC.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Now, my two cents in why they opt for one year. The Pronghorns have averaged 189 fans per game, through 7 home games this year. So despite the rumour that their bid is financially attractive, the host as in most cases, may have a challenge filling the seats. Sportsnet for one, it is priority for the building to look full, which leads to a better atmosphere, for the student athlete. Now, taking this to the bigger home of the WHL Hurricanes and attracting their fan base would obviously be key for the HOC.

If Usport decides to chose Leithbridge as host over Acadia/Ryerson or whoever, it was purely Financial decision and not Hockey Decision. Unfortunately, it should come down like Memorial Cup. What team can not only produce on ice but also off ice (Financials) I’m concern with Leithbridge ability to produce caliber of team that will show well not only out West but as Usport host

If I had vote, I go with Acadia in 2019 and 2020 for Leithbridge- reasons for Leithbridge in 2020 is two year buffer to recruit elite student athletes

I think push back till Jan 19 is to see what Leithbridge does on ice

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->