Confirmed with Link: 2018 Training Camp discussion thread

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Good lord...the whole fanbase will collectively facepalm.

Btw, let’s not forget McCabe has been playing exclusively on the right, Dahlin on the left, for some strange reason. Your pairings assume the more logical setup with Dahlin on the right.
Why do you say that? I thought he was comfortable with both sides. Surely they’re not being incompetent with Dahlin’s development already?! They’d be the laughing stock of the league.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
I saw two or three nice passes by Mittelstadt that easily could’ve been primary assists. The overreactions are eye rolling.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why do you say that? I thought he was comfortable with both sides. Surely they’re not being incompetent with Dahlin’s development already?! They’d be the laughing stock of the league.

Dahlin appears to be comfortable on either side. In theory McCabe has been a pure left d as a pro.

But they seemed just fine in the last game, switching often and smoothly in play.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

It’s not about his development - I’m not worried about that.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
This is what early preseason is for. Let the kids go into an opposing barn and see if they sink or swim. The final score doesn't matter as much as how some of the kids show themselves. Time to impress the coaching staff.
Absolutely agree, I just don’t want people to jump on here in an absolute panic because they don’t know better. 99% of the league is going to have a hard time vs toronto’s #2 and 3 lines. I don’t expect mitt’s line to come out victorious but as long as they don’t get completely out matched the fans should be happy and optimistic.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
A lot can be said about Housley, but he correctly identified about 30 seconds into training camp last season that playing two years post-tank in a stretch-pass-chip transition left our players incapable of making short passes in transition. We look so much better at it organizationally compared to preseason last year, and hopefully it fully translates to the big club (which, while worse at plenty of other things, WAS better at moving the puck last year than previous seasons).

I watched Carolina do the same thing with Bill Peters, to the point where they are a top 3 possession team now despite the lack of top scorers and goaltending keeping them from taking full advantage of it. They started out trash too. It takes time and a full organizational buy-in but it's going to pay off.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
A lot can be said about Housley, but he correctly identified about 30 seconds into training camp last season that playing two years post-tank in a stretch-pass-chip transition left our players incapable of making short passes in transition. We look so much better at it organizationally compared to preseason last year, and hopefully it fully translates to the big club (which, while worse at plenty of other things, WAS better at moving the puck last year than previous seasons).

I watched Carolina do the same thing with Bill Peters, to the point where they are a top 3 possession team now despite the lack of top scorers and goaltending keeping them from taking full advantage of it. They started out trash too. It takes time and a full organizational buy-in but it's going to pay off.
Bylsma set this organization back years. It still bothers me when I think about how stupid his system was.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Bylsma set this organization back years. It still bothers me when I think about how stupid his system was.
I once counted a game, I believe against Vancouver, in which we FAILED at establishing possession after a stretch pass twenty five times, and were successful four. A failure involved the defense grabbing the tip in and exiting the zone. A success involved a forecheck forcing the turnover, which was rare because the wingers were often stopped at the blue line waiting so as not to go offsides, and thus didn't have any sort of skating head start. On attempted carry-ins and passing plays to enter the zone we were successful roughly 75% of the time, and tried to do that only as many times as we stretched (by my counting definition, the defender needed to be in the slot/circles or below, and the forward around center ice or further), which is obscene if you think about how NZ play usually goes in hockey games. On one of the failures, Bogosian was given the option of

a.) hail mary to a guy two lines away from down by our faceoff dots, as they were stationary and covered at the other blue line on the left side
b.) hail mary to a guy two lines away from down by our faceoff dots, as they were stationary and covered at the other blue line on the right side

He picked the left side, and the puck was picked (by November of the first year literally every single team knew this was an established mode of transition for us) by the Sedins and within 4 mississippi seconds it was in our net, and the wingers waiting for the pass hadn't even gotten back into the D-zone yet.

Reactions: Rasmi and Montag DP

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Do you guys have a projected lines thread anywhere? Wondering where you anticipate Skinner and Mittelstadt will be playing this season?

Edit: NM, I found it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

If I had to guess, I suspect that’s less about coaching and more about improving and switching out 70% of the roster.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If I had to guess, I suspect that’s less about coaching and more about improving and switching out 70% of the roster.
There's very much a coaching component. Eichel/Kane/Reinhart/ROR/Okposo's transition game was garbage because they never practiced and did it. So was that of Staal, Skinner, Rask etc. But each team now has spent a year of concerted effort wrt puck support and providing as many passing options as possible (even if the bad players weren't able to fully take advantage) so that when we add the good players, everyone is still in the right place, only now the puck can get there.

The puck support switch was not a quick or negligible thing for either team to undertake.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
There's very much a coaching component. Eichel/Kane/Reinhart/ROR/Okposo's transition game was garbage because they never practiced and did it. So was that of Staal, Skinner, Rask etc. But each team now has spent a year of concerted effort wrt puck support and providing as many passing options as possible (even if the bad players weren't able to fully take advantage) so that when we add the good players, everyone is still in the right place, only now the puck can get there.

The puck support switch was not a quick or negligible thing for either team to undertake.

It’s not really that complicated. The players have done every variation at some point by the time they get to the nhl.

I don’t know how the canes are doing, but in my opinion, getting your team to work on their transition play is less about Housley and more about adding quality players up and down the line up. When 50% of your lineup is trash it makes everything look harder.

We’ll see how things hold up, I’m very hopeful of improvement with Dahlin and Pilut eating minutes over Tennyson, Redmond, Falk, etc.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Why not showcase the 1oa to a new market? Why distinguish by nationality?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad