GDT: 2018 Trade Deadline Shenangians - coverage at 8 AM ET on TSN/ESPN3 and Sportsnet

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
We will have the disussion and the discussion doesn´t come from no where and it doesn´t count for all. But when you really would have the heart, you wouldn´t need the clause on the contract i can leave if i wish and like to. So yes there will always room to Discuss why not. I mean Mammin also had the chance to say better no AHL i wanna play KHL did he go?

Max Paxioretty
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tell me you pass on a secure 30 Goal scorer much younger then Kovalchuck.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
that is the last NHL Season then he decided to play in the KHL never thought to come back only now, since the contract rights run out.

The loyality of russian was also a Argument on the first Radulov contract, also a Discussion before Dallas signed him. If you denied the fact you blind to real facts.

You know nothing about the situation. And yet you're talking about the facts...

You're German so you must know a thing or two about football (soccer)...

Say Jurgen Klopp had the chance to taste being the National team head-coach while still being employed by Liverpool, and loved it... He comes back, doesn't have the great feelings with his team anymore and get a monster deal to get back to the National team squad.

Would that be bad for Liverpool and for his reputation ? You bet. Would you have to hold it against the man for years while he proved to still be awesome at his job ? I am not.

That's the story of Kovalchuk ! He was doing great in NJ, got to be captain of his favorite team back home during the lock-out, came back and had a great offer by this Russian team the next summer... He decided to come back to his home-country. What a bad guy !

Radulov bolted two times, while being a sure-thing of Russian because of his junior years in Canada... And now he is a good guy because he played for Montreal and now out West ! And Kovalchuk isn't because he still wants another shot at 35 and that's just mercenary ? Come on...

And to finish on the Kovalchuk/Pacioretty comparison, get back on track too, Kovalchuk's worst years look a hell of a lot like Pacioretty career years... And after some okay years in the KHL because of back problems, he just had two of his best years there, still showing he got the great scoring touch of once-in-a-génération player !

Always remember that Kovalchuk was, is a pretty pretty special talent... There was nothing like him in the NHL at the time before Ovechkin came in.

He still has it IMO.

You know it or only say and hope it, cause he want to play 4.5 year more in the NHL or so he hope.
You know it or only say and hope it, cause he want to play 4.5 year more in the NHL or so he hope.

I don't hope... No GM is going to give Kovalchuk 4 years, even when I say 3 I think that's going overboard... With the +35 rule on contracts, I don't see a general-manager giving him more than 2 years at best. That's management 101 imo and pretty obvious.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Radulov bolted two times, while being a sure-thing of Russian because of his junior years in Canada... And now he is a good guy because he played for Montreal and now out West ! And Kovalchuk isn't because he still wants another shot at 35 and that's just mercenary ? Come on...

And to finish on the Kovalchuk/Pacioretty comparison, get back on track too, Kovalchuk's worst years look a hell of a lot like Pacioretty career years... And after some okay years in the KHL because of back problems, he just had two of his best years there, still showing he got the great scoring touch of once-in-a-génération player !

Only fot the first Part it looks like you only copy my post and doesn´t read it and only give a little shout out on high blood pressure. Otherwise you would able to read, that also Radulov before the signing in Montreal and Dallas, was Quested is he the right one and did he come back with the right working mentality. Also a fact from 30 Teams that Time Radulov came back only 5 teams was really interested in him 5 of 30. I only write it down twice so you can´t it overread it again, so i hope.

Sorry Age are matter on this Team, when Age wouldn´t matter with the effort a player put in only Numbers count. We would still play with Jagr, as a joke.
But you can put up pacioretty and Kovalchuk in the same are, the onyl difference Kovy give more Assist over the Year. But i thought we wanted a Scorer, sure a good player too but shooter first. And in the amount of Goals both scored in there NHL Carrer both are 35 Goals scorer and that is how it is.
So i dont know why i shouldn´t put them in the same Level.

But he says he wanna play 4-5 Years more in the NHL. Kovy own statement 1 Day after Olympic Gold Medal. Watch Radulov, Radulov also wanted more mid term long term contract got a single 1 year Deal, get away from MTL and got 5 Year Deal he asked in the Age of 31. kovy will come in say played great Season in the KHl im Olympic Gold Medal give me 3-4 Years with 34. I don´t think we will go after him with a 1 year contract or 2 you has nothing from it.

What brings you 1 year 2 year Kovy, no Line chemistry on Long Term. i take a younger player i could use more on long term and mid term.
But i think we will be unable to find any ground here.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What about Komarov in the offseason for the 3rd line? I like the grit he brings to the Leafs, and isn’t he friends with Barky? Depending on what happens with Patches and Kovy, I wouldn’t mind seeing Komarov signed.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

But you can put up pacioretty and Kovalchuk in the same are, the onyl difference Kovy give more Assist over the Year. But i thought we wanted a Scorer, sure a good player too but shooter first. And in the amount of Goals both scored in there NHL Carrer both are 35 Goals scorer and that is how it is.
So i dont know why i shouldn´t put them in the same Level.

But he says he wanna play 4-5 Years more in the NHL. Kovy own statement 1 Day after Olympic Gold Medal. Watch Radulov, Radulov also wanted more mid term long term contract got a single 1 year Deal, get away from MTL and got 5 Year Deal he asked in the Age of 31. kovy will come in say played great Season in the KHl im Olympic Gold Medal give me 3-4 Years with 34. I don´t think we will go after him with a 1 year contract or 2 you has nothing from it.

What brings you 1 year 2 year Kovy, no Line chemistry on Long Term. i take a younger player i could use more on long term and mid term.
But i think we will be unable to find any ground here.

After saying that... Yeaaah... No common ground here... I can't do anything if Kovalchuk played Freddy Krueger in your nightmares when you were a kid...

Geez... Kovalchuk a 35 goal-scorer in his career... What a joke !

Reactions: klabob

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

ive been a longtime kovalchuk fan. wore 17 in college because of him (i could only choose between 1-35). he may be older but hes still got it (hes always been in great shape so hes probably a workout junky.......brokin?). not only does he still have a canon of a shot and release, but he can still pick his spots and bury it. not only in the olympics. look at these highlights from this season (look at last season too). for once in our existence we're actually good about getting into the offensive zone and setting up during the pp, problem is we dont have a trigger man. you put kovy in that faceoff circle and let yandle set him up and watch him rip those things? guy is still killer. reunite him with dadonov, except this time with barkov in the middle? ummmmm yes please!! id give him 5.5per for 3yrs easy, 6per perhaps. he wants to play for longer, wants to play in the nhl again, we were in on him last offseason, has a house down here, we have russians, would be playing with dads again, playing with one of the best centers in the league....who has a russian background and can speak the language, no state income tax, beautiful weather, bure loved it here, im sure he and his family would too, not a bad place to retire. it all makes sense imo.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
you have barkov, trocheck, and huberdeau all playing in their prime. a legit 1-2 punch down the middle. the introduction of borgstrom, giving you insane depth and skill down the middle and the ability to run 3 full strong lines. dadonov being a fantastic player, plus hes another guy on a very affordable deal still. malgin and mamin both reallyyyy showing well and being legit top-9 players. you add kovalchuk to all that?

Kovalchuk-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Mamin
McGinn-Mac-Sceviour

thats legit!

why stop there? if you can get kovy at an affordable rate, and if the cap is truly going up next year? get aggressive with karlsson. im dead serious. depends on what itd take but id throw tippett + 1st '18 + 1st '19 + bjugstad + mccoshen + maybe another pick or prospect. itd all be workable within the cap. make these next 4yrs count. you're looking at a stanley cup contender with that lineup. but ill simmer down, its fun to dream :)

Last edited:
Reactions: klabob

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
you have barkov, trocheck, and huberdeau all playing in their prime. a legit 1-2 punch down the middle. the introduction of borgstrom, giving you insane depth and skill down the middle and the ability to run 3 full strong lines. dadonov being a fantastic player, plus hes another guy on a very affordable deal still. malgin and mamin both reallyyyy showing well and being legit top-9 players. you add kovalchuk to all that?

Kovalchuk-Barkov-Dadonov
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Mamin
McGinn-Mac-Sceviour

thats legit!

why stop there? if you can get kovy at an affordable rate, and if the cap is truly going up next year? get aggressive with karlsson. im dead serious. depends on what itd take but id throw tippett + 1st '18 + 1st '19 + bjugstad + mccoshen + maybe another pick or prospect. itd all be workable within the cap. make these next 4yrs count. you're looking at a stanley cup contender with that lineup. but ill simmer down, its fun to dream :)
Still need a goalie to help Lu.

Penguins have almost that but their goalies suck right now. That doesn't get it done.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Still need a goalie to help Lu.

Penguins have almost that but their goalies suck right now. That doesn't get it done.
Yea but keep in mind that’s just the offense. Part 2 of my crazy fantasy dream rambling was talking about karlsson too. He, along with ekblad, yandle, and matheson is an insane top 4 as well. If you’re adding Erik karlsson to that then Pitts d doesn’t compare to that. The goalies wouldn’t be a worry if that’s the lineup we’re icing.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
What about Komarov in the offseason for the 3rd line? I like the grit he brings to the Leafs, and isn’t he friends with Barky? Depending on what happens with Patches and Kovy, I wouldn’t mind seeing Komarov signed.
same. I believe he plays the PK too, which is something any bottom 6 forward we acquire should do

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

ive been a longtime kovalchuk fan. wore 17 in college because of him (i could only choose between 1-35). he may be older but hes still got it (hes always been in great shape so hes probably a workout junky.......brokin?). not only does he still have a canon of a shot and release, but he can still pick his spots and bury it. not only in the olympics. look at these highlights from this season (look at last season too). for once in our existence we're actually good about getting into the offensive zone and setting up during the pp, problem is we dont have a trigger man. you put kovy in that faceoff circle and let yandle set him up and watch him rip those things? guy is still killer. reunite him with dadonov, except this time with barkov in the middle? ummmmm yes please!! id give him 5.5per for 3yrs easy, 6per perhaps. he wants to play for longer, wants to play in the nhl again, we were in on him last offseason, has a house down here, we have russians, would be playing with dads again, playing with one of the best centers in the league....who has a russian background and can speak the language, no state income tax, beautiful weather, bure loved it here, im sure he and his family would too, not a bad place to retire. it all makes sense imo.

Kovy does make a lot of sense.

I don't think it's about the dollar amount but the term. Two years would be ideal and three max. If he wants anything more than that, no thanks... go somewhere else. Even three is pushing it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He seems to have zero offense these days.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
hard pass. The guy is good for nothing but playing dirty trying to get under the opponents skin. I get the value that skill brings, but I don't want to have to root for it.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Kovy does make a lot of sense.

I don't think it's about the dollar amount but the term. Two years would be ideal and three max. If he wants anything more than that, no thanks... go somewhere else. Even three is pushing it.
yea i think they term is definitely going to be the sticking point with him. im completely fine with 2yrs, as long as we get him im happy. if the aav is reasonable id actually probably prefer the 3yr route, it may be a gamble that works in our favor much like dadonov. hes on a great aav and we still got him locked into that amount for the next 2yrs so we're lucky with him. of course it could be a gamble lost if he doesnt work out but im both confident in him right now as well as the next several seasons so its one i would gladly take depending on the dollar amount.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
yea i think they term is definitely going to be the sticking point with him. im completely fine with 2yrs, as long as we get him im happy. if the aav is reasonable id actually probably prefer the 3yr route, it may be a gamble that works in our favor much like dadonov. hes on a great aav and we still got him locked into that amount for the next 2yrs so we're lucky with him. of course it could be a gamble lost if he doesnt work out but im both confident in him right now as well as the next several seasons so its one i would gladly take depending on the dollar amount.
We are good for the next 3 years. I don't even mind Kovy having a "somewhat" ridiculous contract. Just make it easy bonus heavy, so that if he's injured/shit in his third year, it wouldn't hurt too bad.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We are good for the next 3 years. I don't even mind Kovy having a "somewhat" ridiculous contract. Just make it easy bonus heavy, so that if he's injured/**** in his third year, it wouldn't hurt too bad.
if hes up for it, so would i. i just wanna see him in a panthers jersey

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yep, go after Kovalchuk in FA or Gusev if possible. Add in Borgstrom and let Mascherin & Tippett compete for roles, we are not in a rush to add them and how great is that. Depth is starting to add up eventually.

Kovalchuk/Gusev-Barkov-Dadonov
Borgstrom-McCann-Mamin
Haley/McGinn-x-Sceviour

+Bjugstad, MacKenzie

For next season do not go after D. Just look at this UFA list, there is really no one I'd like to have http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2018&pos=D

So if you think the team needs a D you acquire one via trade for next season and I'd rather wait for the TDL to see how the young defensemen improve and see what we have in our prospects before making any moves.

The UFA for summer '19 is good to make some noise if required http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2019&pos=D

This is the blueprint I'm rooting for.

If we don't get Kovy/Gusev maybe Borgstrom can fill in the first and we can get help directly from Mascherin/Tippett to compensate. Or perhaps the beast will be on a roll for the rest of the season and we don't need to change anything, just get Borgsrom. :sarcasm: We have absolutely no reason to buy high on someone like Pac when he could be signed in the summer '19 as well for free.

As an fyi, Gusev will not be a UFA. There's no transfer agreement in place between the KHL(Russian Federation) and NHL, so players drafted from Russia who have never signed a NHL contract are treated as "Defected Players". Teams hold their rights indefinitely--they don't become UFA's at age 27.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
As an fyi, Gusev will not be a UFA. There's no transfer agreement in place between the KHL(Russian Federation) and NHL, so players drafted from Russia who have never signed a NHL contract are treated as "Defected Players". Teams hold their rights indefinitely--they don't become UFA's at age 27.
The more I read, the more confusing it gets.

So after reading all these different opinions, there seems to be just a couple of choices for Gusev............

• Sign a 1 yr ELC with VGK and have the option to be a UFA the following year in 2020-2021.
  • Tell McPhee to trade his rights for the 2019-20 season or he will walk after completing a 1 yr ELC and George will get zero.
  • Last option and one that TPA probably agrees will be the final outcome............he signs an extension with his KHL team after the present contract expires 2018-19.
It will be interesting to watch Gusev's agent request the ability to talk to other teams about trading his rights. I don't see where this would be a problem with McPhee if he can get a nice return. If not, the other options are on the table. If McPhee agrees to the 1 yr ELC and he knows Gusev will bolt after the one year, it's my guess George may just send him to the AHL out of spite.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad