GDT: 2018 Trade Deadline Shenangians - coverage at 8 AM ET on TSN/ESPN3 and Sportsnet

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Idk about that Kuemper signing, LA has made backups looks pretty good the past 7-8 years.

It's a shame there isn't a market for goalies this year, Yotes could've got a good haul for Raanta (maybe a conditional 1st+). They might still trade him, but the market isn't there to drive up the price.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Im happy with the Kuemper trade not on the Side of Kuemper, more that Rieder has now a Team he must play better like in the first years.
As onn Player from my favorit Club, i wish him the best and he has a Chance to play for the Cup.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I know we'll be quiet, but would be nice to see some moves made, even if it is a trade to bolster the bottom 6(cause the top 6 is a pipe dream)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I know we'll be quiet, but would be nice to see some moves made, even if it is a trade to bolster the bottom 6(cause the top 6 is a pipe dream)

Boughner took a jab at Tallon after the last game when he said the Leafs have a lot more depth. Usually you don't hear a coach criticize the roster like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get someone. Not sure what is available though.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Boughner took a jab at Tallon after the last game when he said the Leafs have a lot more depth. Usually you don't hear a coach criticize the roster like that.

How long till this turn into March-Smith thread. I mean every thread talking about our depth etc will turn into that for as long as we dont have depth. That could take a while as we've never had depth. Could have had

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
How long till this turn into March-Smith thread. I mean every thread talking about our depth etc will turn into that for as long as we dont have depth. That could take a while as we've never had depth. Could have had

Well... if people stop talking about it then it won't turn into one...

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

IIRC he made a similar comment earlier in the year. Something about needing everyone needs to play at a high level cause other teams have better depth?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
IIRC he made a similar comment earlier in the year. Something about needing everyone needs to play at a high level cause other teams have better depth?

If we are looking at third liners, someone like Paul Byron from Montreal or Ryan Dzingel from Ottawa could be options. Both guys are pretty prototypical 3rd liners and have good speed.

And both are making less than 2 million per. I think guys like Tatar/Nyquist/Pacthes are a pipe dream with contracts around 5 million each.

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
If we are looking at third liners, someone like Paul Byron from Montreal or Ryan Dzingel from Ottawa could be options. Both guys are pretty prototypical 3rd liners and have good speed.

And both are making less than 2 million per. I think guys like Tatar/Nyquist/Pacthes are a pipe dream with contracts around 5 million each.

Both would do well here IMO.
I wouldn't mind Grabner TBH. McKenzie thinks he could be had with a 2nd +.
Has speed for days, can PK and score goals.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah the only thing about Grabner is that he's an UFA. Otherwise a good option too.

Yea, but I think they could re-sign him to a slight raise over a 2-3 year deal and it should work out. I mean, the dude could be our #1 RW easily if we keep Dadonov on the LW. Without his empty net goals this year, he would be on pace for 25 goals(against a goalie).

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Personally I can see Jagr like move where we sell and buy. That year we moved Pirri and (Flash I think?) and someone else and brought in Jagr. Dream would be to get Patches in that capacity which would help round out the top 6. Still stand by Bjugs + Mr. Chin and a mid pick for Patches.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The problem is that bottom 6 players traded at the deadline are rental guys. The Panthers will have to wait until the draft/July 1st to address the bottom 6.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Personally I can see Jagr like move where we sell and buy. That year we moved Pirri and (Flash I think?) and someone else and brought in Jagr. Dream would be to get Patches in that capacity which would help round out the top 6. Still stand by Bjugs + Mr. Chin and a mid pick for Patches.

Who’s Mr. Chin?

It’s gonna be a long weekend. I keep checking the boards every 15 minutes, it seems, hoping to see Nick Bjugstads name stickied to the top of Trade Rumors section.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Who’s Mr. Chin?

It’s gonna be a long weekend. I keep checking the boards every 15 minutes, it seems, hoping to see Nick Bjugstads name stickied to the top of Trade Rumors section.

"Dale Tallon guarantees 8 year extension for Nick Bjugstad after his current contract expires"

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
"Dale Tallon guarantees 8 year extension for Nick Bjugstad after his current contract expires"

9T1kgIr.gif

Reactions: Kellyr and ShootIt

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I know this is TDL thread, but UFA & upcoming season is indirectly linked to that.

So now that the Olympics are close to be done, next season re-unite Kovalchuk with Dadonov without sacrificing any future! Yea, he's getting older, but has years of hockey in him left and is a shooter and a very good one at that. I don't know would he and what the family situation is, but if he still wants to compete in the NHL now. The UFA in general are meh though. But this is mostly as an example.

Start off the camp:

Kovalchuk-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
Mamin-Borgstrom-Tippett
McGinn/Haley-x-Sceviour

x: Bjugstad, McCann, Brickley, MacKenzie
?: Mascherin, Heponiemi, Haapala

Pretty nice. Looks like there is a lot of competition brewing up for the roster soon and that will be a really good thing for the depth. What I meant indirectly is that consider the overall situation and near future, like next season when making suggestions. I'd be thrilled with something like this. Not looking for big moves this TDL that could ruin that with a hefty price. And if we do rather outside the division.

2018 UFA LW list: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2018&pos=LW

I would have nothing to do with Evander Kane and the guys below are not what the team is looking for. Also Nash is something that I really don't think he could turn out to be a scorer that we're looking for, he would be a presence but I don't think he' would be a solution for that pos. Also you can't make long deals for that position with older players because of the situation we are in with the future.

Future is bright!

giphy.gif

I don't hate the idea, one would assume he wants 4years but I'd offer 3years @ 7 million just like Marleaus deal but Kovy is younger. If he asks for more $$ and term then see ya later.

He's lighting it up again the KHL and the chemistry would still be there with Dadonov.

Barkov may overheat overpassing to each guy but he'd probably get 100 assists and trash talk Huberdeau.

I prefer him over signing a guy like Nash. I also don't like E. Kane.

Only issue I have with that 3rd line is it's all rookies. I'd rather give 3rd line role to Malgin and have Borgstrom in top 6 or hope McCann can come around, he is on pace around 25pts which isn't great but also isn't brutal.

I'd love if Tallon would check the price on a retained Anisimov (offer up McCann + 2019 conditinal 3rd that becomes 2nd if he hits 20 goals next year).

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Why? :huh:

I don't see any reason for that to be so. For example, LA just traded for Thompson and Rieder and neither are UFAs.
and the kings gave up a goalie having a very good year who was immediately signed to an extension. That deal is the exception not the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad