GDT: 2018 Trade Deadline Shenangians - coverage at 8 AM ET on TSN/ESPN3 and Sportsnet

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
No, didn't expect anyone to really want Bjugstad, especially for Patches. Not sure where you got that. Where did I imply we were going to send trash for Quality?

Montreal is in a weird situation. They have Weber and Price signed to massive deals, but they also are retooling or possibly trying to rebuild. Who knows.
What it tells me was that MB wasn't seriously considering trading Max unless he got a steal of a deal. If that rumor has any legs.

Good point. I wonder if Montreal would be willing to trade Weber if they are going for a rebuild/retool.
Also, Habs need a number one center and they had to try and bring one back for Patch.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Anybody see this part in that Friedman article?

"Sounds like the Panthers, Rangers and Wild discussed a three-way that would have sent McDonagh to Florida. I don’t think Toronto ever got really close to snaring the New York defender."

I wonder what the 3-way deal looked like for McDonagh and even more so how did it fall apart? Tallon in his post-deadline video looked quite frustrated... Seems to be cause of this as well as obviously Tampa ending up getting him..

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We passed on McDonagh this TDL but watch us paying a king's ransom in the summer for Pacioretty and everybody will be fine with us selling the farm on that no-heart player, just because he is viewed as a scorer...

We should be all-in on Kovalchuk... I hope we'll be all-in on Kovalchuk... Like you said, even 3 years at 6M for Kovalchuk will be much more profitable than trading and even extending Pacioretty !

But no... We didn't to pay for a defenseman, but we will sell everything for a scorer... The season after you've let go Reilly Smith + JAM for Petrovic + 5th rounder (was it even a fifth we got for Smitty ?), you will give two of your best assets for.. Max Pac... Wow... Thank you management 101 !

Reasons for Kovy to sign,

a)Dadonov- Barkov can make his life easier with the language,

b)Dadonov- Barkov could use a sniper, how many teams can give him a chance like that

c)Florida has cap space.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

b)Dadonov- Barkov could use a sniper, how many teams can give him a chance like that

c)Florida has cap space.

Man, I would go freaking mental if we signed Kovalchuk !

I was so much into the rumor last summer, if we managed to bring him even if he is one year-older... Man that would be awesome.

This guy is Mike Bossy on steroids from Russia with love. Love Kovalchuk and his transition has a player.

Pretty sure he can be effective in this league until 37-38 on a good team !

That passion and that goal-scoring...

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Anybody see this part in that Friedman article?

"Sounds like the Panthers, Rangers and Wild discussed a three-way that would have sent McDonagh to Florida. I don’t think Toronto ever got really close to snaring the New York defender."

I wonder what the 3-way deal looked like for McDonagh and even more so how did it fall apart? Tallon in his post-deadline video looked quite frustrated... Seems to be cause of this as well as obviously Tampa ending up getting him..

Yeah, very interested in what the deal would have been. I do think the whole inclusion of Miller/Namestnikov sealed the deal in the end.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I saw on the Habs board, Lebrun said Bjugstad + Borgstrom + 1st for Pacioretty

RipeInformalFox-max-1mb.gif

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

c)Florida has cap space.

a after all teh Season in the NHL he can speak also english very good, so good as Barkov and Dadonov, no one will ever ask for more.
b a lot of Teams was looking for an Top 6 Winger so there a lot of Teams where he can go and is needed.
c Has Cap Space should use it better for the next Starting Goalie, other Top6 Winger.
d His repuation in the NHL is so low, that only Teams, who really search for a Wonder Year would go after him. You never know which Kovy you get,
e This Season showed, better stay out of the Penalty Box. When one thing was showed from Kovy he still get to easy in rage and is a often seen guest in te Penalty Box.
f While Kovy leaved the Devils, Tallon mention in an Interview that he doesnt like the move Kovy did, also warned him for a comeback.
g When you want to go to a russian speaking club, go to Washington they have a long history with it.
h Maybe the Namestikonov trade was also a sign to Kovy we still interisted in you.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Good lord!

That is terrible for us. Habs can **** off!

You know the biggest Problem, if we ask teams for the same type of Player the price will always be the same. They always would like to have one of our Top Prospects and the 1st Rounder. What means we want or can do any trades in the next Years, even the teams lower the Price.
Since the TDL we all our Prospects and 1st Round Picks are no go. But don´t ask around the league how you would otherwise some good Player for your team. Deal for it or overpay them, also contracts for Veterans are not DT special skill.

But i think more the Montreal Deal doesnt happen, cause they asked for Bjugstad and that is an automatic no trade term. ;)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
At least i could bring up a Joke.

The Panthers could be current the best Diplomat in the Finnish/Russian relationship. :D :D
The next joke, Tallon was hope to run the Franchise over the NCAA programm, current we run more on future canadian and europen Prospect then American Prospect. :D
Couldn´t start better then with jokes in the morning.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I would feel wayyy better of our chances this year to make the playoffs if we would have made a trade for some help. I know I’m way in the minority that we should have made a big move but those of you thinking about next year etc, barkov or huby, trocheck and Ekblad have been healthy pretty much all year and in years past not. Next year a few of these guys go down for any amount of games and we are a lottery team especially if it’s barkov. We have been lucky. This close to sniffing the playoffs I think we should have made a move now. Next year you don’t know what that could bring for those imagining the same luck of health this year from our best players.

Hard to say, if Elliots information are correct 2 of 3 Pieces in the trade would be okay. But looseing Borgstrom on max would make no sense.
I think there could be a Deal with Bjugstad+Mascherin+1st could be a trade everyone could live with, but that is not Bergevin asked for in the Information we get.
But getting information out of the Franchise is always a small chance some lie in the info you get. Everyone try to keep is place in the chair.

For all those say hey the Price was to high. But a near secure 30 Goal scorer on a PO team, the Price was okay. Lets remember who was the last Panther 30 Goal scorer over 30+ Season.
Marchessault only reached 1 Season 30 Goals and his trade away from DT brought this Board into meltdown, or laughs we get from other Fans.

So since, so many say the Price was to high lets open it and bring it to the Point.

What is your Price for a 35 Goal Scorer over 4 Season??
Who is also in the end of his prime and still able to score at least 25+ Goals.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Did he say that's what the Habs wanted or that's what Tallon offered? :help:

Safe to assume that the ask was Borg + 1st + something else. As far as the rumored Minnesota-three way deal is concerned, I'd suspect that Bjugstad was involved in that. I know, I know... it'll be a sad day when the Beast is relocated into another cage.

Dalé was probably offering the same package of Hepo/Mascherin + 1st/2nd + scraps for Pac as he likely did for McDoughnut.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Id bet we revisit this deal at the draft, but without names like Borgstrom or Trocheck being mentioned. My ideal offseason would be Patches, sign Kovy and a vet Dman, and call it a day. I think a top six of Kovy, Patches, Barky, Huby, Trocheck, and Dads would be "ok!"

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Id bet we revisit this deal at the draft, but without names like Borgstrom or Trocheck being mentioned. My ideal offseason would be Patches, sign Kovy and a vet Dman, and call it a day. I think a top six of Kovy, Patches, Barky, Huby, Trocheck, and Dads would be "ok!"

Dalé will not be signing both Pac and Kovy. I'd reckon neither because he's got plenty of his guys(tm) in the pipeline not to acquire obstacles into their way. Try something around Bjugs, Hepo and a 1st/2nd in order to get some above average RD.

One pipe dream is to pry Brent Burns from the Sharks since the Thornton&Marleau-era is coming to its official end after the season is done and Wilson probably has to look somewhere to get some top of line talent into his lineup. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league and they probably have to engage into a proper rebuild.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Any particular defencemen in mind?
We probably don't get both Kovalchuk and Pacioretty, though cap-wise it looks doable - we have 10.5 mill cap space for next year. This doesn't include Petro, Weegar, McCann, Vatrano + any prospects/other players we'd sign, but those should be relatively cheap. Also any deal would most likely involve some of our players heading the other way (possibly one or more of Bjugstad, Petro, Pysyk), and we can always buy out McGinn or MacKenzie.
Could be an interesting offseason.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Safe to assume that the ask was Borg + 1st + something else. As far as the rumored Minnesota-three way deal is concerned, I'd suspect that Bjugstad was involved in that. I know, I know... it'll be a sad day when the Beast is relocated into another cage.

Dalé was probably offering the same package of Hepo/Mascherin + 1st/2nd + scraps for Pac as he likely did for McDoughnut.

If you can believe the Post in the Main thread, the source from MTL sayed, the Insider information from friedmann more likely correct on the asked prieces.
So the price askeds for Pacioretty was trocheck and only Trocheck nothing else.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
a after all teh Season in the NHL he can speak also english very good, so good as Barkov and Dadonov, no one will ever ask for more.
b a lot of Teams was looking for an Top 6 Winger so there a lot of Teams where he can go and is needed.
c Has Cap Space should use it better for the next Starting Goalie, other Top6 Winger.
d His repuation in the NHL is so low, that only Teams, who really search for a Wonder Year would go after him. You never know which Kovy you get,
e This Season showed, better stay out of the Penalty Box. When one thing was showed from Kovy he still get to easy in rage and is a often seen guest in te Penalty Box.
f While Kovy leaved the Devils, Tallon mention in an Interview that he doesnt like the move Kovy did, also warned him for a comeback.
g When you want to go to a russian speaking club, go to Washington they have a long history with it.
h Maybe the Namestikonov trade was also a sign to Kovy we still interisted in you.

You say pp as a negative with Kovy when it would be a strenght.
Kovy getting passes from Barkov, Huberdea& Yandle on pp would be a dream for you.

Not money teams have a top10 2way C who could use a RW, out of those teams not many could help him as much as Florida could Kovy, and out of those teams not many have the cap space as Florida has.

Kovy on a shortterm deal is so much better fit than Pac and his Eriksson/Ladd/Lucic/Okposo 2.0 contract.

If you want to find a new starting goaltender you get the cap space for that by trading one of your expensive goalies, no team can have 3 expensive goalies on roster at the same time, that's just a cap killer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad