Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In some fantasyland is that anywhere close to the package Tampa sent to New York for McDonagh and Miller.

How is it "fantasy land" ? The grass isn't always greener here. Tampa Bay didn't give up a Kapanen, Liljegren or even a Dermott in this. You can say their package was slightly better if that's your opinion but to say it's fantasy land is exaggerating quite a bit.

Namestnikov is highly regarded for having a season close to the season of Connor Brown last season. only difference is that Namestnikov was playing with literally the 2 hottest players in the league, one of them likely winning the Rocket trophy, and Brown was with Komarov and Kadri. He's turning 26 this year while Brown just turned 24.

I find it bizarre that people think Namestnikov is suddenly some sort of top line winger or whatever. He's a good player but don't be surprised if he regresses quite a bit.

The prospects given up aren't exactly top notch or blue chip quality either and hardly putting this over the top.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
the bolts got him without giving up anyone as good as lilly, dermott, or kappy.

If I was a betting man, I would wager that the Rangers insisted on one of those prospects being included in the deal. Why wouldn't they?

As for the package they got, Tampa ended up paying a very steep price. They better hope McDonagh re-signs with them long term after next season so the trade doesn't end up being so lopsided down the road.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The off-season will certainly be interesting. Pleks, Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Moore, Martin, Leivo either UFA or question marks. That's a fair chunk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would have gone higher. If it cost us Kappy/Rasanen/1st/2nd I'd have been in.

OK then, thanks. That actually seems like a realistic package. Not sure if I would have done that or not, I guess that means that it's roughly a a fair trade.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I think organization might have Plek in the short term picture for 3rd C over Bozak next season. He would likely sign a cheaper short term deal than what Bozak would look for. I still think adding Plekanec gives us more options come the offseason than what we had with Bozak or a trade.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Matt Hunwick beat out Ian Cole for a spot.

That is what happened, regardless of whether I chant it or not.

In fact, the Pens ditched Cole even though they already have a 2nd pair that needs sheltering (Maata-Schultz) and even though their 3rd pair is Hunwick-Oleksiak. And even though their 4th pair is Ruhewdel-Corrado.
Lol... nope, it’s not an accurate statement; it’s a false assertion that you’ve chosen to stand upon to support your strawman shakily built upon a false equivalence. You’ve elected to neglect extenuating factors as they discount the validity of your position.

That’s fine- I’ll agree to disagree because I’m not engaging that sort of “argument” as it’s illogical and worthless.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think that once Matthews comes back we will see Kappy up on the top line at lease for a while. He can play left too.
I would bet anything in the world that Hyman and Matthews will be back together when Matthews is back. We will not see a game this season where Matthews and Hyman start on separate lines.

I hope I'm wrong... but I don't think I am.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm just glad the deadline is over so we can stop seeing the same posts about flipping Leo, Bozak and JVR, especially all those unoriginal upping their trade value comments every time they do anything right.

I'm happy with the deadline, helps the team go deeper but going all in on Matthews second year is a bit much. We didn't need to sell our assets you only have to look at St Louis to see how trading Statsny is impacting their team and we're in a much better position.

Reactions: Once

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If I was a betting man, I would wager that the Rangers insisted on one of those prospects being included in the deal. Why wouldn't they?

As for the package they got, Tampa ended up paying a very steep price. They better hope McDonagh re-signs with them long term after next season so the trade doesn't end up being so lopsided down the road.

I just had a quick peek at the TB board and I don't think they're too worried about it. It seems that they're so deep that while they'd like to resign him, it's not the end of world if they don't. It might be that they just don't care about looking that far down the road at this point which is understandable too.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I just had a quick peek at the TB board and I don't think they're too worried about it. It seems that they're so deep that while they'd like to resign him, it's not the end of world if they don't. It might be that they just don't care about looking that far down the road at this point which is understandable too.
I wouldn’t be worried if I were them either. They’re window is definitely now despite being rather young and they get McD for 2 shots at the cup. I also like Miller more than Name so they upgraded there too imho

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I have no interest in trading Kapanen. Guy already is making an impact and has upside besides.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If things go our way, they can ship him here as a rental next TDL :)

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The off-season will certainly be interesting. Pleks, Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Moore, Martin, Leivo either UFA or question marks. That's a fair chunk
No kidding.
How many UFAs do Boston/Tampa/Pittsburgh/etc have?
Plus the other teams building and on the rise. We have a fair chunk of turnover quite possibly happening. Nobody knows what the team could possibly look like next year and a significant chunk of all the bottom 6 could be gone.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well it's not exactly like it's going to be super hard to replace any of them. We are replacing two 3rd liners who get a ton of offensive minutes and PP time (which we are not exactly short of) but can not do squat defensively, and a bunch of (usually) expensive 4th liners... And Leivo. Johnsson, Leivo (if he sticks around), Gauthier/Aaltonen (if Gauthier sticks around or they decide to keep Aaltonen in the NHL after his injury).

Kapanen, Leivo and Johnsson could easily step into the top 9. So you need two more top 12 players and two depth guys. Gauthier can be one of those guys if he's not traded. Then just get 3 UFA's or trades.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Gauthier-???
???/???

If the Leafs want to sign a top 9er, just bump one of Leivo or Kapanen to the 4th line. If they sign a 4C, bump Gauthier to the 13th/14th spot. Then just have another depth forward unless they decide to take an extra defenseman.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Definitely going to be plenty of holes in the forward corps. Kind of excited to see how they plug them and to see how the team is without those UFAs

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Well it's not exactly like it's going to be super hard to replace any of them. We are replacing two 3rd liners who get a ton of offensive minutes and PP time (which we are not exactly short of) but can not do squat defensively, and a bunch of (usually) expensive 4th liners... And Leivo. Johnsson, Leivo (if he sticks around), Gauthier/Aaltonen (if Gauthier sticks around or they decide to keep Aaltonen in the NHL after his injury).

Kapanen, Leivo and Johnsson could easily step into the top 9. So you need two more top 12 players and two depth guys. Gauthier can be one of those guys if he's not traded. Then just get 3 UFA's or trades.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Gauthier-???
???/???

If the Leafs want to sign a top 9er, just bump one of Leivo or Kapanen to the 4th line. If they sign a 4C, bump Gauthier to the 13th/14th spot. Then just have another depth forward unless they decide to take an extra defenseman.

Gauthier hasn't shown he belongs
Aaltonen, Johnsson and Leivo are all question marks
Nylander hasn't proven he can be a reliable C
And finding 3 quality UFA's may not be as easy as it sounds. Can get expensive too.
Center depth gone

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No kidding.
How many UFAs do Boston/Tampa/Pittsburgh/etc have?
Plus the other teams building and on the rise. We have a fair chunk of turnover quite possibly happening. Nobody knows what the team could possibly look like next year and a significant chunk of all the bottom 6 could be gone.

It is possible that the Blues traded Stastny in order to take a run a Tavares. If anything they will free up cap space so we can take a run at a Tavares or a Carlsson. Personally I will be happy to UBER them to the airport after they clear out their lockers (in June :)).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I could see Leo coming back, Bab's loves the guy, Leivo should be moved, he won't get a fair chance under Bab's. JVR will demand too much $$$ imo, so I hope he's elsewhere and the rest of them shouldn't be back. I do wonder if Pleks has a good run whether they'd consider resigning him or if he'd consider it a option?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Gauthier-???
???/???

Leivo's only chance to make the team next season is on the 4th line. IMO more likely they move him before or at the draft. Also think Freddy G may run out of lives soon.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol... nope, it’s not an accurate statement; it’s a false assertion that you’ve chosen to stand upon to support your strawman shakily built upon a false equivalence. .

heh. it's a perfectly accurate statement. Cole got beat out by some crap defenders, and they ditched him. That's what happened.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
heh. it's a perfectly accurate statement. Cole got beat out by some crap defenders, and they ditched him. That's what happened.

Or did want Cole instead of Hunwick -- because a UFA is more movable -- and Pittsburgh simply decided that adding Brassard more than made up for losing Cole.

You were, I believe, in favor of including Kapanen in a deal for McDonagh. Let's say the Leafs did that. Matt Martin is still on the Leafs and very well might have been back in the lineup. Would that mean Matt Martin had beaten Kapanen out for the job?

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Or did want Cole instead of Hunwick -- because a UFA is more movable -- and Pittsburgh simply decided that adding Brassard more than made up for losing Cole.

You were, I believe, in favor of including Kapanen in a deal for McDonagh. Let's say the Leafs did that. Matt Martin is still on the Leafs and very well might have been back in the lineup. Would that mean Matt Martin had beaten Kapanen out for the job?
No that couldn’t have played any role in it rojac, perish the thought

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Definitely going to be plenty of holes in the forward corps. Kind of excited to see how they plug them and to see how the team is without those UFAs
Exactly, I'm also excited to see how this management uses the cap space. Maybe they don't replace as much at forward and put a little more on defense? So many options.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think organization might have Plek in the short term picture for 3rd C over Bozak next season. He would likely sign a cheaper short term deal than what Bozak would look for. I still think adding Plekanec gives us more options come the offseason than what we had with Bozak or a trade.

IMO this “increased flexibility” is a made up term to justify the price.

Bozak and Plekanec will be UFAs. There is no more or less flexibility there. We could have signed either in the off-season even if we didn’t make the deal.

As for why you’d sign him over Bozak? He will be 36. No thanks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I think the more interesting is, and it was so subtle - Lou admitted they were going for McDonagh. when does lou admit anything? i wonder if this means that they'll probably go big game hunting in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad