Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the bolts got him without giving up anyone as good as lilly, dermott, or kappy.

OK so can you be more specific? Are you saying we should have traded for him and if so, what is the offer that we should have made that would have been accepted? I'm asking because I'm legit curious, it's a bit complicated to compare proposals because the TB deal had more players involved. I was also thinking yesterday about what I'd be willing to give up for McDonagh and it's a tough question IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
OK so can you be more specific? Are you saying we should have traded for him and if so, what is the offer that we should have made that would have been accepted? I'm asking because I'm legit curious, it's a bit complicated to compare proposals because the TB deal had more players involved. I was also thinking yesterday about what I'd be willing to give up for McDonagh and it's a tough question IMO.

I think this is close to the comparison from us. Leafs likely didn't want to give up Brown or Hyman though and might have offered Leivo instead (just assuming here).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
TB trading for McDonagh was a perfect example of why it's so valuable to have asset depth and what you can do when you have it. I can picture us in this spot in a few years, being a top contender and coveting that one final missing piece but will we have the assets to pull off that kind of trade? Trading JVR might have been a step in that direction.

Another thought is that winning the cup is so hard, even TB will probably have to beat 3 really tough teams and they will be underdogs to do so even with McDonagh. So the question becomes - if rentals are so likely to not pay off, maybe they're a bad gamble in general? And if even TB is a long shot after adding such a quality player, then it might make even less sense for lesser teams (like us just as an example) to rent players?

Why would you say TB is a longshot? They are the favourite in the East IMO. They will have one of Hedman and McDonagh on the ice for 50 minutes per game. Slater Koekoek is now their 7th dman and he looked real good last night.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
cole couldn't even beat out matt hunwick for playing time.

matt Hunwick.
Not sure how you figured that one out.. same ice time and better metrics than Hunwick. if their coach liked Hunwick over Cole, that’s a different story

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think this is close to the comparison from us. Leafs likely didn't want to give up Brown or Hyman though and might have offered Leivo instead (just assuming here).

That's interesting, thanks. Is that comparable to what TB gave up for both McD and Miller or what we would have had to give up for just McD? Really have to digest this one for a bit, it's tempting but my first reaction is that all that for just 2 playoffs with McD is too high a price to pay.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Why would you say TB is a longshot? They are the favourite in the East IMO. They will have one of Hedman and McDonagh on the ice for 50 minutes per game. Slater Koekoek is now their 7th dman and he looked real good last night.

That will be huge

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Just in the sense that winning the cup is so hard, every team is a longshot. Hard to calculate the odds with any degree of precision but offhand, I'd say TB has a 15% chance at best of winning it all. That may be better than any other team but it's still a longshot.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For what TB paid, I thought it was a fair deal for McDonagh. The fact that they also got JT Miller is a huge win for TB. Not sure what the Rangers were thinking. Perhaps they owed SY a favour or SY told them he will return the favour in the future.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just in the sense that winning the cup is so hard, every team is a longshot. Hard to calculate the odds with any degree of precision but offhand, I'd say TB has a 15% chance at best of winning it all. That may be better than any other team but it's still a longshot.

Agree the SC is difficult to win but somebody has to be the favourite :)

Really like the Jets at 18/1 but the list below may not be the latest odds.

Here is the complete list of all 31 NHL teams and their odds to win the Stanley Cup, according to Las Vegas-based oddsmaker Westgate:

TEAMPRESEASON ODDSMIDSEASON ODDS
Tampa Bay Lightning12/15/1
Vegas Golden Knights200/17/1
Toronto Maple Leafs14/110/1
Nashville Predators14/112/1
St. Louis Blues30/114/1
Dallas Stars14/116/1
Los Angeles Kings20/116/1
Pittsburgh Penguins6/116/1
Columbus Blue Jackets25/118/1
New York Rangers16/118/1
Washington Capitals12/118/1
Winnipeg Jets50/118/1
Anaheim Ducks14/120/1
Boston Bruins30/120/1
San Jose Sharks20/120/1
Chicago Blackhawks12/125/1
Minnesota Wild12/125/1
Carolina Hurricanes60/130/1
New Jersey Devils200/130/1
New York Islanders50/130/1
Calgary Flames30/140/1
Edmonton Oilers9/140/1
Montreal Canadiens16/150/1
Philadelphia Flyers50/150/1
Florida Panthers40/1100/1
Ottawa Senators30/1100/1
Colorado Avalanche100/1200/1
Vancouver Canucks200/1300/1
Detroit Red Wings200/1500/1
Buffalo Sabres60/11,000/1
Arizona Coyotes200/12,000/1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

well we wouldn't have been trading for Miller so you can take the brown/hyman part out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Cole lost his spot to Matt freakin Hunwick.
Cole could have been a depth own rental. Players are going to get hurt.
No team goes through 4 rounds times 7 without getting hurt. Either hurt and playing or hurt and not.
Remember as well, Babs said they wanted to re-sign Matt freakin Hunwick.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
well we wouldn't have been trading for Miller so you can take the brown/hyman part out.

Yeah, I think Miller was requested by Yzerman as he's signed for next year as well whereas Vlad was not.

I don't see how Tampa is going to retain McDonagh so he's a 2 year rental for them IMO. They have to sign Point and Kucherov as well. I just hope nobody does them a favor and takes Callahan's terrible contract off their hands.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Would have been the best trade deadline ever if Hyman got traded.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agree the SC is difficult to win but somebody has to be the favourite :)

Sure, I would think that's TB as of today. There are a lot of good teams though, I have a feeling that for the first time in a while, I'm gonna watch a ton of playoffs besides the Leaf games.

Damn! Take that part out and my first instinct is that maybe we should have done that deal. What do you think?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Cole could have been a depth own rental. Players are going to get hurt.
No team goes through 4 rounds times 7 without getting hurt. Either hurt and playing or hurt and not.
Remember as well, Babs said they wanted to re-sign Matt freakin Hunwick.

Possible they moved Cole instead of Hunwick b/c Pens needed to shed salary in order to fit Brassard in. The fact that Cole was a rental made him more attractive than Hunwick.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Cole lost his spot to Matt freakin Hunwick.
You can keep chanting the same thing over and over but it doesn’t mean you’re right... he had an issue with Sullivan and Sullivan wanted Hunwick’s “speed” and “puck moving” because Cole is actually a physical, stay at home who blocks a ton of shots. They play completely different styles. Cole is actually akin to a Polak but can skate decently and doesn’t handle the puck like a stick of dynamite. There’s the difference. He’s also a dynamite pker; not the Babcock opinion on Polak of good pker, but a legit solid pker which would have helped reduce the stress on Hainsey.

Would you like to honestly state Matt Hunwick is a good pker?

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Possible they moved Cole instead of Hunwick b/c Pens needed to shed salary in order to fit Brassard in. The fact that Cole was a rental made him more attractive than Hunwick.
That’s precisely one major reason, if not the main reason

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
This is the most passive-aggressive post ever ... you ask "How HAPPY are you?" But two out of the three options are what level of disappointment do you have. And the third option precludes that getting a really good 4th line centre constitutes "going for it".

I don't think they're "going for it" by getting a 4th liner who can play 3rd line minutes occasionally; they're bolstering the lineup for the playoffs. That's it.

If they dealt a significant piece to get McDonagh, well then yes, could have said "going for it" or "all in".

But we didn't do that. The Shanaplan is a self-perpetuating, self-responsible system of competitive sustainability.

The original poll was even more passive-aggressive. Something along the lines of "How do you feel about giving up two firsts and a second to go for it?" My first thought when I read it was ***** did I miss a trade? Then I realized, oh I get it, more Bozak/JVR whining.

I assume the mods toned it down a bit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh well, what's done is done. I don't like it at all but nothing I can do about it.
These own rentals better show me something real good come playoffs.
Real good.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

In some fantasyland is that anywhere close to the package Tampa sent to New York for McDonagh and Miller.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am actually glad the Leafs didn't make any further deals. I believe with the team they have they are positioned to compete this upcoming playoffs. I am glad they didn't give up further assets for rentals. And I am happy that we didn't sell the farm for McDonagh. Based on how we played the past couple of games without Matthews and against our main competition, I have no doubt that we can give them both a run in the playoffs. It wont be a cake walk for anyone we play. The addition of Plekanec was a good one and I believe it will only get better as he learns the system and players he is playing with.

I just didn't see a player that was traded that would have helped us out. What is puzzling is that Mike Green refused to waive his no trade to be dealt to Toronto. Same as Gorges did last trade deadline. Why are some players against playing for the Leafs? Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad