Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought about Rielly-Doughty but if you could have a solid top 4 that you were able to split them up on? I think Dermott with Doughty will be able to roast teams. Rielly and Zaitsev get softer match ups.

Could also do

Dermott-Doughty
Rielly-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev
Carrick

Not a bad top 7 next year.

I'd go

Rielly Doughty
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick

The top 2 can play in that 25 minute range against the best QOC and Dermott can do his thing with Hainsey looking after him and giving him some freedom and I'd say Zaitsev can babysit Borgman on the bottom pair but watching him lately it could be the other way around honestly

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd go

Rielly Doughty
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick

The top 2 can play in that 25 minute range against the best QOC and Dermott can do his thing with Hainsey looking after him and giving him some freedom and I'd say Zaitsev can babysit Borgman on the bottom pair but watching him lately it could be the other way around honestly

I think what's interesting is (not on purpose) I did not include Gardiner in the line up both times. I think i'd be okay moving him for a 1st+ if we had any Doughty deal lined up.

Helps us recoup some assets.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Zaitsev's drop in play has really annoyed me. It's just one weird mistake after another which is weird given his god-given talents. I'm hoping that he picks it up in time for the playoffs because when you combine this with Rielly's recent drop in play, we're gonna be in trouble.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I'm happy we didn't pay those prices, but an upgrade at D costs, we all know that

Wonder if we're looking towards next year to go for it, maybe we try and sign JT in the off season and try and poach a defensive top 4 guy, itsi really all we need isn't it?

Gotta ask the question though, your here this year, everything seems to be doing well why not have a little crack at it this year, you don't know how next year will pan out, for all we know Freddy/Matthews gets an injury and the whole seasons a wash

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think what's interesting is (not on purpose) I did not include Gardiner in the line up both times. I think i'd be okay moving him for a 1st+ if we had any Doughty deal lined up.

I class trading for Doughty as an all in move so you may as well just pin the ears back and try to win the cup while Matthews and Marner are on there ECL's

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I class trading for Doughty as an all in move so you may as well just pin the ears back and try to win the cup while Matthews and Marner are on there ECL's

Can still win with him even when they get off their ELCs. I can try to play with armchair GM at some point.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Really needed an upgrade on Polak. I think that's going to haunt us in a PO series.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not happy.

Either go for it, or sell off guys. Come on.

Exactly.

The Top 3 teams in the East (2 of which are in the Leafs division) all added an elite piece at the deadline that happened to address their biggest need as well.

The Leafs didn't add an elite or even good piece and also didn't address their biggest weakness.

Would've been a great year to sell off the UFAs who won't be back and consequently to win at the draft, while also having that guaranteed playoffs there for the kids to gain experience and for ownership to get it's revenue boost.

Reactions: Morgs

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I thought about Rielly-Doughty but if you could have a solid top 4 that you were able to split them up on? I think Dermott with Doughty will be able to roast teams. Rielly and Zaitsev get softer match ups.

Could also do

Dermott-Doughty
Rielly-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev
Carrick

Not a bad top 7 next year.
Hmmm Gardiner??

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

I dunno why people see zaitsev as a 3rd pairing he plays 24 minutes a nite on a good team .
if u watch the leafs live ,all the defenceman struggle at times ,gardiner plays the least againt big strong wingers .he is the biggest p.....sy on our defence ,good offence but playoff hockey is not his forte ,

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There’s a subset of the fan base that is trying to talk from both sides of the mouth.

On one hand, they say the price for a rental is insignificant. The pick will never amount to anything. Better to go a little further in the playoffs, get that old experience and move forward.

Ironically, quite a few of them also wanted the team to trade JVR/Bozak or their favourite scapegoat for assets... that I guess would never amount to anything?

And they miss the reality that this team’s veterans and UFAs will either not be here or be a year older next year.

These fans want to go for it and pretend we are rebuilding at the same time.

We aren’t. Veterans are being put in positions developing youth could take. Some of those youth are demanding trades. Assets will walk for nothing and we are going to the drafting podium fewer times than we could have.

The chips are in. Let’s see how the hand plays out.

I lost count of the straw men in this post. Why are you so unhappy all the time? You predicted we wouldn't even make the playoffs until 2020, now were so far ahead of schedule that your head is spinning but why not just enjoy the ride?

Thanks for sharing. Seems like a good pitch was made, but we wisely IMO didn't force what wasn't there. Imagine there will be worthwhile options in trade and free agency to kick tires on and pursue in the offseason.

Exactly. No point in complaining about deals that weren't made when we don't know the prices we refused to pay.

Exactly.

The Top 3 teams in the East (2 of which are in the Leafs division) all added an elite piece at the deadline that happened to address their biggest need as well.

The Leafs didn't add an elite or even good piece and also didn't address their biggest weakness.

Would've been a great year to sell off the UFAs who won't be back and consequently to win at the draft, while also having that guaranteed playoffs there for the kids to gain experience and for ownership to get it's revenue boost.

Yes that's true. They could have done it earlier (I would have done it in the summer if not last spring) but the team going 13-2 made it almost impossible at this point. I'm gonna give management the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're doing. Maybe they were close to a deal that fell through? Maybe they believe JVR can contribute at a high level for years to come and they can get him cheap and that's plan B, plan A being Tavares. Honestly, if they either get Tavares or resign JVR cheap in the summer, this will all make sense. And if they win the cup this year that works too, nothing to do now but get behind the team and hope they do just that. Stranger things have happened.

Just play Carrick, he is light years better than Polak

I was thinking the same thing. And Polak was good last spring too.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Just play Carrick, he is light years better than Polak
I actually think we should have grabbed Ian cole for the price he went for; we surely could have beaten that. He’s quite a bit better than both those two stiffs. That’s part of why I was so disappointed with yesterday

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Carrick and Polak RHD

Ian Cole LHD....

Babcock likes his RHD on one side... LHD on the other. If they had even contemplated an upgrade for the RHD, Ian Cole would not have been it.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
I lost count of the straw men in this post. Why are you so unhappy all the time? You predicted we wouldn't even make the playoffs until 2020, now were so far ahead of schedule that your head is spinning but why not just enjoy the ride?

Exactly. No point in complaining about deals that weren't made when we don't know the prices we refused to pay.

Yes that's true. They could have done it earlier (I would have done it in the summer if not last spring) but the team going 13-2 made it almost impossible at this point. I'm gonna give management the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're doing. Maybe they were close to a deal that fell through? Maybe they believe JVR can contribute at a high level for years to come and they can get him cheap and that's plan B, plan A being Tavares. Honestly, if they either get Tavares or resign JVR cheap in the summer, this will all make sense. And if they win the cup this year that works too, nothing to do now but get behind the team and hope they do just that. Stranger things have happened.

I was thinking the same thing. And Polak was good last spring too.

Or play Holl

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Carrick and Polak RHD

Ian Cole LHD....

Babcock likes his RHD on one side... LHD on the other. If they had even contemplated an upgrade for the RHD, Ian Cole would not have been it.
So you think they didn’t contemplate upgrading the 6 spot? Were they not in on McD?

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
To be honest, I'm a tad disappointed....if only because our defense is still quite weak on paper.

I think Plekanec was a good pickup, but I was sort of hoping for a longer term solution.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Polak definitely isn't coming back. Carrick might not even be back. Hopefully snag a 3rd for Leivo.

I wouldn't move Dermott. Liljegren only if the deal is right.

I mean let's look at the standings right now, the Kings are not likely to make the playoffs at this point. IF Drew Doughty were to tell the Kings in the summer he won't sign an extension with them and they look at trading him, I make a lot of guys available to them all of a sudden.

2 1sts, Liljegren, probably 1 of Kapanen/Brown, maybe 1 of Pickard/Sparks? Martin for cap reasons...

Add on to that if need be to win him via trade to get an extension done...obviously if you're giving that up it's only to get him signed to an extension.

All of a sudden...

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-3C-Kapanen/Brown
Grundstrom-4C-?

Dermott-Doughty
Rielly-Zaitsev
Hainsey-? (Maybe Carrick stays? Or go Borgman-Hainsey, or something else)

Great thing is if you add him in a trade you can give him the 8th year, maybe helps us keep the cost a bit down.

Way too much for a player about to become a UFA. We should get an idea what Doughty is worth once Karlsson is traded this summer.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Meh I'm happy we didn't trade our first or any big prospects. Nash has 4 more points then pleks but cost quite a bit more than we paid. Everyone rags on McDonough (sp?) And yet Tampa traded names plus a first and I think a second conditional first. I think we did fine

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So you think they didn’t contemplate upgrading the 6 spot? Were they not in on McD?

McD isn't for the 6 spot.

Yes, they inquired about McD, and a number of other players, but didn't want to pay that price, and I don't blame them. Like I said, not an ideal need, even if it's an upgrade on others.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Yes! Even better, forgot about him for a moment, need more coffee. Definitely hope he gets called up and gets a real shot, he looked like he could be a big help.
Yeah he actually looked very strong in his cup of coffee here. Greatly prefer him over Polak at this point. Don’t the rosters expand beyond 23 now? If so, I see absolutely zero reason to not give him a majority of the remaining games instead of the other two. We’re locked into 3rd place so what’s the harm in really getting a good look at what you have there.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
McD isn't for the 6 spot.

Yes, they inquired about McD, and a number of other players, but didn't want to pay that price, and I don't blame them. Like I said, not an ideal need, even if it's an upgrade on others.
Of course he’s not for the 6 spot, that’s when Hainsey and Zaitsev would have moved down and the issue of Polak and Carrick in the cyclical 1 game rotation is solved

McD is left handed and that didn’t stop them from chasing him to play the right side. That’s the point

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Upgraded the one position of organizational weakness, center. The team now has a 4th line that can play against any opposition line.

Minor moves on the wing or defense would have been pointless. The organization already has serviceable depth in these areas. Borgman pretty much proved himself to be NHL level, he was just outperformed by Dermott. Rosen, Holl, Marincin, even Liljegren could play if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad