NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Great so 4 guys in the past 5 drafts.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing you're talking about William not Alex Nylander?
Well you’re talking strictly forwards now. There are 10 players who are clearly above Brady and plenty more who are debatable because we’re talking about prospects and potential.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t see why not... it still technically is our pick, we just elected to move down a few spots and then hand it over to Colorado.

That would be an ultimate troll job by Dorion and would probably redeem himself in my books for throwing away Dahlen if he had the balls to pull something like that off.
No it's not, it's the team who traded the pick to us' pick. The minute we trade Ott 2018 1st round pick we defer to giving Colorado Ott's 2019 1st round pick..

Ottawa's pick is the pick that is placed wherever Ottawa finishes, regardless of trades.

We drafted Noesen with Nashvilles pick and Puempel with Detroits pick.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Great so 4 guys in the past 5 drafts.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing you're talking about William not Alex Nylander?

lol there are tons more.

Brady Tkachuk isnt even able to outscore shane bowers, who is a whole 2 months older.

Even Quinn Hughes has put up better offensive numbers than Brady Tkachuk over the last two seasons as a defenceman.

He does not have an elite offensive toolset.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How much have you watched of Brady?

Not exhaustively, but enough to question his offensive upside. His numbers aren't too favourable either.

i mean the thing is when you watch a player who has elite offensive upside. you see them do plays that other players just dont think of/can make. Even if they have an awful game and none of their risky/creative plays end up working, it still means something that they attempted it.

I don't see that creativity and hockey IQ in Brady.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Sure if all you're looking at is his offensive toolset you're not going to think he a premier prospect. Matter of fact is there's more that goes into it than strictly offensive production when evaluating guys like him. I'm sure if he was in the CHL most would be riding his dick just like they did for his brother.

Also, Hughes' production over the past years in no way diminish what Tkatchuk's value as prospect is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bouchard led the Knights in scoring this year by almost 30 points in his draft year as a defenseman, I’m curious why you see him as such a meh prospect?

Genuinely curious, I haven’t seen many Knights games this season
Me neither. But we’re talking about potentially losing a top 3 next year.

I don’t think he’s so much “meh” as I do that other bouchards will be available over the course of the next few drafts

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not exhaustively, but enough to question his offensive upside. His numbers aren't too favourable either.

i mean the thing is when you watch a player who has elite offensive upside. you see them do plays that other players just dont think of/can make. Even if they have an awful game and none of their risky/creative plays end up working, it still means something that they attempted it.

I don't see that creativity and hockey IQ in Brady.

To me i thought his creativity and passing were pretty good at the WJC. He made a ton of great plays.

The question is whether you think he has 30 plus goal upside. Because both Zadina and Svechnikov do in my mind.

However Tkachuk brings way more overall to the table over the other two.

Its a tough call

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
To me i thought his creativity and passing were pretty good at the WJC. He made a ton of great plays.

The question is whether you think he has 30 plus goal upside. Because both Zadina and Svechnikov do in my mind.

However Tkachuk brings way more overall to the table over the other two.

Its a tough call

yea hes a pretty good playmaker. but not the guy who carries the puck and challenges guys with his hands. he's definitely more of a playmaker than goalscorer

also meh, overall includes offensive games, and Svech and Zadina impact the game way more than Tkachuck.

i mean im sold that Tkachuck is at worst going to be a top 6 player. but i dont see any elite potential.

which is what we should be chasing if we're going to be picking so high

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
lol there are tons more.

Brady Tkachuk isnt even able to outscore shane bowers, who is a whole 2 months older.

Even Quinn Hughes has put up better offensive numbers than Brady Tkachuk over the last two seasons as a defenceman.

He does not have an elite offensive toolset.

Your way to focused on the points. And I mean there is 1 point separation between him and Bowers, lets not act like he's having a rough season. Shane Bowers is not a better prospect than Brady Tkachuk, not even close.

And Quin Hughes is a tiny little d-man who undoubtedly has incredible skill, but is still ranked below Tkachuk for obvious reasons.

Brady a true power forward in every sense of the definition, and we know they generally take longer to develop. Hes tough and physical. and hes going to be huge when he fills out. He skates very well, and he can shoot, pass and deke at a high level. And his strong bloodline cannot be denied at this point, which for myself, gives me a lot more confidence in a prospect.

If Im the Sens, I take him at #4 if thats how the chips fall for us. Its also very "Senators" like draft pick because at worst this guys going to be a great 2nd/3rd liner, and at best hes the first line power winger that we've always dreamed about but never, ever had.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
What does Tkachuk bring that Svechnikov doesn’t other than being an agitator?

Physicality, toughness, leadership, defensive play, net drive, someone to stand in front of the net and take a pounding and make plays while doing it. The ability to create space for teammates. His gsme is also suited for the playoffs.

I think he can also pk as well.

Just stuff off the top of my head really.

Reactions: Samsquanch

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Even if Tkachuk tops as top 6 player, that's still a very valuable piece. This organization has NEVER had a top 6 forward that mixes physicality and skill and crashes the net. It's the hardest type of forward to get and it's something we needed during our mid 2000s cup runs.

Let's take the best prospect wherever we end up, but let's not undersell Tkachuk here.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Tkachuk - how do you guys feel he compares to his brother? If he's as good, I'm more comfortable with him in the top 5. Still think we need more talent on the blueline, but if he's BPA we need him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
What does Tkachuk bring that Svechnikov doesn’t other than being an agitator?

He also fights . Forgot to mention that . It's a big difference between an agitation player like Marchand, Burrows in his day that doesn't fight and a guy like Tkachuk who I compare to a more skilled Simmonds who is willing to fight .

Makes a massive difference.

I mean ya 6 Mike Hoffman's in our top 6 would be nice but I don't think you can win with 6 of him. You need a guy like Tkachuk in your top 6 to do other things and in fact might even help those Mike Hoffman's take their game to another level.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Tkachuk - how do you guys feel he compares to his brother? If he's as good, I'm more comfortable with him in the top 5. Still think we need more talent on the blueline, but if he's BPA we need him.

He's a better skater than Mathew for sure. I'm not sure he's as pesky but he's bigger. I think Brady has better play making skills too.

In my mind, I don't see a huge difference between the two and can see similar players at the NHL level. Is that enough to draft him in the top 5 ? I certainly think so.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sounds like Dorion was watching the Barrie Colts tonight. Obviously I want Dahlin but man would having Svechnikov make next season so much more interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad