NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It is not about"rewarding" failure, it is about giving teams a chance to become contenders. It is not right to force fans of certain teams to watch their team always miss the playoffs out of some asinine sense of preserving "honour" or whatever.
Unless its Edmonton. They've neutered how many top picks on that team

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
For european soccer, they don't have a draft system. You have teams like FC Barcelona developing kids from a young age to play for their team. In this case, Toronto probably would have got McDavid.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
For european soccer, they don't have a draft system. You have teams like FC Barcelona developing kids from a young age to play for their team. In this case, Toronto probably would have got McDavid.

And Doughty...
And Tavares...
And Stamkos...

To quote Dave from 2001, "My god - it's full of stars."

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Used to be like that for hockey as well before the draft was instituted
Amateur Drafts
arrow-down-white.png

The NHL Amateur Draft was instituted in 1963 in order to break the existing NHL teams' monopoly on junior players, which they had gained by the NHL Sponsorship System. Prior to the Amateur draft players were claimed by NHL teams based on the junior teams they played for. If an NHL team sponsored a junior team and a player was on that team, their rights belonged to the NHL team and the player could not play for any NHL team except the sponsor.
However, the first few years of the NHL draft were still affected by the sponsorship system since sponsored players were not eligible to be drafted. It was not until the 1969 draft that all remnant effects of the sponsorship system were eliminated.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Uhhh yeah? If Ottawa isn't lucky enough to win a drawing in the top-3 and Buffalo is (anywhere in top-3); Ottawa would pick 4th...
Think about what you're saying here. Ottawa picking 4th is dependent on not just Buffalo winning the lottery but 2 other teams bellow us as well. This is the odds on scenario, but Buffalo picking top 3 isn't automatic we pick 4th.

Reactions: Daffy

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Think about what you're saying here. Ottawa picking 4th is dependent on not just Buffalo winning the lottery but 2 other teams bellow us as well. This is the odds on scenario, but Buffalo picking top 3 isn't automatic we pick 4th.

I know exactly what I'm saying which is Ottawa would pick 4th if they don't get a top-3 pick and Buffalo does.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ideally, if we're really running a competition between different cities, it should be about bragging rights of which city has the best local players. I guess that was the original idea in soccer leagues (and other leagues) in the early 1900's.

What we currently have is really a competition for which is the best run organization, given somewhat disparate resources, and with some artificial parity thrown in. It's really not clear what the competition is all about.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I was thinking that what is the point in getting excited about drafting Dahlin if we even do get the opportunity. By the time he is 3 years into the league and becoming a generational player, will EM even give me a big contract that he deserves? Assuming Karlsson is traded this off-season

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
soccer is a totally different scenario.. they have relegation and promotion system AND parity simply is not a goal in professional soccer leagues. parity is the MAIN goal in north American leagues.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why can't Vegas or Arizona team sponsor some junior team from North York for example? IMO this system is worth discussing and it'd be super beneficial for kids development.

BTW, North American leagues are worried about parity simply because it maximizes revenue. They don't give a shit about player development.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Why can't Vegas or Arizona team sponsor some junior team from North York for example? IMO this system is worth discussing and it'd be super beneficial for kids development.

BTW, North American leagues are worried about parity simply because it maximizes revenue. They don't give a **** about player development.

I don't want a soccer style NHL where maybe 5 rich teams win 95% of the cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad