NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Physicality, toughness, leadership, defensive play, net drive, someone to stand in front of the net and take a pounding and make plays while doing it. The ability to create space for teammates. His game is also suited for the playoffs.

I think he can also pk as well.

Just stuff off the top of my head really.

Kessel is a playoff stud, so is Pat Kane. Playoffs aren't much different than the season, skill still prevails.

I liked what I saw from Tkachuk at the World Juniors, but he's well behind Svechnikov for me, and behind Zadina, too. Offensive game changers are hard to come by. People love to talk about intangibles, it's all I heard about with Crouse in the lead up to his draft. Same with Lazar- "leader", "toughness", "net drive". Inevitably, the ability to score goals, create chances, and bring it offensively is more important. Tkachuk's struggled to score at the college level. That's alarming for me if we're looking to take him in the 3-5 range.

He also fights . Forgot to mention that . It's a big difference between an agitation player like Marchand, Burrows in his day that doesn't fight and a guy like Tkachuk who I compare to a more skilled Simmonds who is willing to fight .
Makes a massive difference.
What makes you believe he's a fighter? They don't fight in college hockey. Where's he been fighting?

I don't know if being a fighter is a massive difference. I guess fighting is nice every now and then but skill is what matters most from your top guys. I would take Marchand over Simmonds quite easily. Simmonds is more willing to fight, but Marchand has way more skill. Really, with your best forwards, fighting doesn't matter much. Score the goals, set up the goals, be willing to go to those dirty areas and work your butt off. Let Borowiecki sit for those 5 minutes for fighting.​

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm still avoiding highlight reels because I'm afraid we're gonna get f***ed by the lottery.

Reactions: DJB

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yea please don't draft Tkachuk unless that's the only option. Funny that Warne has a hard on for him as well. I believe he mentioned if the Sens ended up drafting top 3 hed pick Tkachuk.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Here’s a thought... if we end up with a pick outside of the top 5, trade down outside of the top ten (and pick up multiple 2nds and 3rds in the process), and then completely **** Colorado over and give them the pick after we trade down :nod:

Pretty sure it has to be the "Senators" pick that has to be traded to Colorado (this year or next) ............if you "trade down" the Senators would be Trading their pick for another, and that is no longer the "Senators" pick and Colorado would automatically would get the Senators pick next year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Kessel is a playoff stud, so is Pat Kane. Playoffs aren't much different than the season, skill still prevails.

I liked what I saw from Tkachuk at the World Juniors, but he's well behind Svechnikov for me, and behind Zadina, too. Offensive game changers are hard to come by. People love to talk about intangibles, it's all I heard about with Crouse in the lead up to his draft. Same with Lazar- "leader", "toughness", "net drive". Inevitably, the ability to score goals, create chances, and bring it offensively is more important. Tkachuk's struggled to score at the college level. That's alarming for me if we're looking to take him in the 3-5 range.

What makes you believe he's a fighter? They don't fight in college hockey. Where's he been fighting?

I don't know if being a fighter is a massive difference. I guess fighting is nice every now and then but skill is what matters most from your top guys. I would take Marchand over Simmonds quite easily. Simmonds is more willing to fight, but Marchand has way more skill. Really, with your best forwards, fighting doesn't matter much. Score the goals, set up the goals, be willing to go to those dirty areas and work your butt off. Let Borowiecki sit for those 5 minutes for fighting.​

Of course everyone would take Marchand over Simmonds. My point was about agitators vs guys that will fight. I could have used Cooke, Avery as examples as agitators and everyone would take Simmonds over those bums

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Tkachuk's ceiling is a 3rd liner don't waste a top10 pick on that garbage when theres an insane ampunt of RHD who can move the puck going to be on the board then. Or take a risk for once and draft someone with a high ceiling up front who needs to round put their game. Just stop with the safe bullshit picks

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Tkachuk's ceiling is a 3rd liner don't waste a top10 pick on that garbage when theres an insane ampunt of RHD who can move the puck going to be on the board then. Or take a risk for once and draft someone with a high ceiling up front who needs to round put their game. Just stop with the safe bull**** picks

I’m fine with someone preferring other players over Tkachuk, but saying his ceiling is a 3rd liner is just silly.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkachuk's ceiling is a 3rd liner don't waste a top10 pick on that garbage when theres an insane ampunt of RHD who can move the puck going to be on the board then. Or take a risk for once and draft someone with a high ceiling up front who needs to round put their game. Just stop with the safe bull**** picks
Okay it doesn’t matter how bad you think he is. His ceiling is not third liner. That’s sinply false. You can say you think that’s what he will become but that’s not the guys ceiling

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I think you mean his floor is a 3rd liner . ....

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
For as much I don't want Tkachuck (for where we are going to pick), he's pretty safe bet to be a top 6 player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His ceiling is not a 3rd liner.....

I'm not an advocate of drafting Tkachuk, but that's foolish

Reactions: bert

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We don't always take safe picks.

Logan Brown was the definition of boom or bust, and he is our highest drafted player since Zibanejad, we even traded up to get him. Going back to Zibanejad, he was a riskier pick over Couturier who would have been seen as the "safe" pick on the board.

We drafted Gabriel Gagne pretty high, and again traded up for him. So we used a ton of draft stock on a guy thought to be a high ceiling project.

Chabot wasn't boom or bust, but he was a pick similar to what you are describing you'd like the Senators to take.

Ever since we took Lazar, there's been this idea that some posters have that we only take high character guys with 3rd/4th line skillsets high in the draft, but a quick glance at our recent draft history shows that isn't true.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Who are the best skaters near the top of the draft? Are there any players at the top where speed skating would be considered to be an issue for them?

It seems like with our top two picks last season, speed+skating ability was a common attribute with Formenton and Bowers. Speed is something that has been mentioned vaguely multiple times when talking about our supposed "the plan" and new direction.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm honestly hoping for Svechnikov. A league-wide, elite, electric game-breaking offensive star is something I've dreamed of for a longtime. He's going to be 6-3 215, and his skating, vision, shot, passing and I.Q are all unbelievable. I couldn't believe he was 16 when I saw him play in Omaha last year against the Lancers.

I honestly don't care whether we pick #1 or #2, I'm completely fine with either or.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Bathurst vs Halifax on sportsnet if ya’ll want to get a look at Dobson and McIsaac.

Edit: I should add Zadina and potential 1st rounder B-O Groulx.

Last edited:
Reactions: solidprospect

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I do it too :laugh:
Everytime the Sens are 1st i'm happy. But then I remember that it took me 4 or 5 times so...
I don't know how accurate the numbers are but it says we have a %10 chance at first pick and %30 at a top 3 pick. I mean, if you follow baseball, a .300 hitter only gets a hit 1 out every 3-4 at bats. It's so frustrating and then we have to wait for the lottery itself.

Reactions: Newgates59

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I for one don't think the future is bleak but in fact the exact opposite, with all the good young prospects coming IMO this franchise looks to me to have a very bright future.

Sure this yr sucked & it's quite possible that next yr will suck as well but it might not & we can see the young guys starting to be inserted into the Sens lineup. BM always said that he would like to see at least two good young prospects make the team every yr & that seems to be happening. This yr we saw Chabot become a permanent member of the D & it looks to me anyway that Harpur is also slowly becoming a part of the everyday team. Last yr it was Claesson & Dzingel that made the team full time.

Next yr, it's most likely that McCormick will be on the team & I assume that Colin White will eventually make the team full time. We could also see a surprise next season with anyone of Paul, Chlapik, Gagne, Englund, Jaros or Brown. Then there is Batherson, Formenton, Luchuk, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Lajoie, Perron, Pokka, Wolanin & whoever they draft this yr. I think this team has a lot to look forward to regardless of what happens with some of their present stars. Obviously, not all of them will make the NHL or even be stars but some could & more importantly Ottawa has some very good depth at every position.

Sens Prospects:
Tkatchuk - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Chalpik - Gagné
Perron - White - Luchuk
Nurmi - Paul - Rodewald/Kelly

Lajoie - Pokka
Englund - Jaros
Wolanin - Wilde/Sieloff

Hogberg - Gustavsson

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

Logan Brown was the definition of boom or bust, and he is our highest drafted player since Zibanejad, we even traded up to get him. Going back to Zibanejad, he was a riskier pick over Couturier who would have been seen as the "safe" pick on the board.

The pick after Zibanejad? Scheifele.... whoops!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

We drafted Gabriel Gagne pretty high, and again traded up for him. So we used a ton of draft stock on a guy thought to be a high ceiling project.

Chabot wasn't boom or bust, but he was a pick similar to what you are describing you'd like the Senators to take.

Ever since we took Lazar, there's been this idea that some posters have that we only take high character guys with 3rd/4th line skillsets high in the draft, but a quick glance at our recent draft history shows that isn't true.

Shane S.O.B. Bowers?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Eh, we was one of the older players in the draft and couldn’t even produce at a ppg pace, that’s not a high ceiling guy to me. If we wanted a high ceiling prospect we would have drafted the player like Sprong,Kylington,Bracco and Anderson with the pick.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I for one don't think the future is bleak but in fact the exact opposite, with all the good young prospects coming IMO this franchise looks to me to have a very bright future.

Sure this yr sucked & it's quite possible that next yr will suck as well but it might not & we can see the young guys starting to be inserted into the Sens lineup. BM always said that he would like to see at least two good young prospects make the team every yr & that seems to be happening. This yr we saw Chabot become a permanent member of the D & it looks to me anyway that Harpur is also slowly becoming a part of the everyday team. Last yr it was Claesson & Dzingel that made the team full time.

Next yr, it's most likely that McCormick will be on the team & I assume that Colin White will eventually make the team full time. We could also see a surprise next season with anyone of Paul, Chlapik, Gagne, Englund, Jaros or Brown. Then there is Batherson, Formenton, Luchuk, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Lajoie, Perron, Pokka, Wolanin & whoever they draft this yr. I think this team has a lot to look forward to regardless of what happens with some of their present stars. Obviously, not all of them will make the NHL or even be stars but some could & more importantly Ottawa has some very good depth at every position.

Sens Prospects:
Tkatchuk - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Chalpik - Gagné
Perron - White - Luchuk
Nurmi - Paul - Rodewald/Kelly

Lajoie - Pokka
Englund - Jaros
Wolanin - Wilde/Sieloff

Hogberg - Gustavsson

You missed Summers on D. But yeah, that looks like a proper AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->