Series Talk: 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1|Colorado Avalanche VS Nashville Predators|We Are Prey

goss19

Oct 24, 2009
Check it

dAGQP7

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 12.28.35 AM.png

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Really happy for you guys .

Who thought that the Hamburglar had it in him. 45 saves ! I hope he goes on a run.

Also he is in possession of a card that grants him free McDonald s food for life (no joke). He should be buying celebratory McNuggets for Ghetto.

Robble robble. Go avs !

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What a game. Gotta love this team.

On a negative side something has to be done to our powerplay. Today it was even worse than it has been. Switching Rants and Josts places didn't work. Jost lost the puck on both of tonight's powerplays and Nashville had more dangerous scoring chances than us.

I'd be tempted to try Andrighetto on the top unit, change things up. He's talented, and he adds a different element I think. I'd probably pull Jost from it right now.
The personnel isn't the problem, it's how they're choosing to attack the Predators that is the problem.

Nashville is going three high every single time. It's 3v3 up top most of the time since they hardly move the puck to the middle of the ice for Jost to do anything with it, and even when he does he wants to give it to the big boys more than he wants to make an actual play with it. That's why Nashville is pressing. They know they are not outmanned up top.

The Avs have to realize that the play down low is open, and has been open all series long. The problem is that it can only occur from the right half wall where Rantanen is, because Landeskog is also a left shot. Rantanen has to get him that puck quickly, and Landeskog has to drive the net quickly with Jost coming in hard. MacKinnon also needs to be moving down low with the play as Rantanen makes that pass to the corner.

Now that I think about it, they could use a personnel change on that unit but the only options I would recommend are Compher or Comeau, and neither should be anywhere near a PP. But they're right shots, and if they're in the slot Landeksog has that slot one-touch pass option instead of trying to feed it to a left handed Jost where it'll take longer for him to shoot.

Just a simple adjustment, but one they haven't made all series. They're still intent on playing up high and doing their damage there when the Preds are pressuring like crazy.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Feel like the PP needs to come alive one of these last two games. Has been pretty underwhelming (I know all about a bad PP as a wings fan) anyone feel putting Girard on PP1 would work? Seems Nashville pressures a lot. Mack can make plays under pressure, but Rantanen and Barrie turn it over so much it seems. I'm sure the coaches are busy figuring it out. Can't wait for tomorrow night :nod:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The personnel isn't the problem, it's how they're choosing to attack the Predators that is the problem.

Nashville is going three high every single time. It's 3v3 up top most of the time since they hardly move the puck to the middle of the ice for Jost to do anything with it, and even when he does he wants to give it to the big boys more than he wants to make an actual play with it. That's why Nashville is pressing. They know they are not outmanned up top.

The Avs have to realize that the play down low is open, and has been open all series long. The problem is that it can only occur from the right half wall where Rantanen is, because Landeskog is also a left shot. Rantanen has to get him that puck quickly, and Landeskog has to drive the net quickly with Jost coming in hard. MacKinnon also needs to be moving down low with the play as Rantanen makes that pass to the corner.

Now that I think about it, they could use a personnel change on that unit but the only options I would recommend are Compher or Comeau, and neither should be anywhere near a PP. But they're right shots, and if they're in the slot Landeksog has that slot one-touch pass option instead of trying to feed it to a left handed Jost where it'll take longer for him to shoot.

Just a simple adjustment, but one they haven't made all series. They're still intent on playing up high and doing their damage there when the Preds are pressuring like crazy.
Great analysis. An alternative would be Landy at the goal line trying a power move to the net front, it's worked before. The way the rebounds would come out would favor lefty Jost in the slot too, and he is good at getting to those.

Reactions: MacBradley

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Avs got to game 6, which is where I hoped they would get.

Important for moral and building the team, but equally if not more important because it generates at least 400k to 700k in profit for the franchise because of the extra home game. (based off of numbers I recall seeing from the late 90s-early 2000s, so probably double that now? )

Not that Stan and family are broke people..... but that extra bit of change in the bank will make spending this year and down the road a better/safer bet --- thus the smart business family will invest more into the team --- both fiscally and in their own interest level.

The extra press and hype will also help make selling season tickets and ticket packages easier for next year as well...kicking in more to the bank.

Last edited:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Man...I know we can easily drop one of these 2 next games but I'm getting pretty excited for them. I feel like we may be in their heads now after last night.

Lets be real.

The Avs probably don't win the series. Hammy being that good again is what it is going to take in both games PLUS a lot more. Was just fun to punch the tiger in the face at the end of that game and say HA HA!

Deep down I know Nashville is going to Smashville in Denver and a blow out loss is coming to end the series. But whatever. Hell of a season.

That said, home ice baby....then roll the dice in game 7.

Reactions: McMetal and MarkT

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Lets be real.

The Avs probably don't win the series. Hammy being that good again is what it is going to take in both games PLUS a lot more. Was just fun to punch the tiger in the face at the end of that game and say HA HA!

Deep down I know Nashville is going to Smashville in Denver and a blow out loss is coming to end the series. But whatever. Hell of a season.

I was expecting the blowout in Nashville so who knows. Maybe Hammond can get a streak going. Either way I'll be proud of this team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly I spent all of game 5 expecting the Avs to lose. When the puck went in off Bonino's foot I knew that was the end because it would be the perfect way for an Avalanche season to end. This is what being an Avs fan during the dark days of Granato, Sacco, Roy and Bednar has taught me. This current group of players is trying their best to teach me differently. Every rational part of my brain tells me Nashville will crush us in game 6, and if not game 6 then they'll destroy us at home in game 7. But the irrational part of my brain - the part that kept me an Avalanche fan even when Tyler Arnason was our #1 center for a few games - that part believes we can advance to play against Winnipeg.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Lets be real.

Loser mentality but realistic I guess, hopefully the players have a different mindset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

jwalker647

Dec 11, 2014
Great analysis. An alternative would be Landy at the goal line trying a power move to the net front, it's worked before. The way the rebounds would come out would favor lefty Jost in the slot too, and he is good at getting to those.
I like this idea I’d also like to see Jost and rants switch spots two big bodies in front of the net.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad