Series Talk: 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1|Colorado Avalanche VS Nashville Predators|We Are Prey

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is super off topic but I don't believe in free will and don't believe people have as much of a choice in where they end up as you are making it out to be. DNA and the choas of life makes us who we are and we are responsible for neither of those.

Can't say I agree with that too much, I think people have tons of freedom and freewill, but most people aren't willing to take on the risk of really going for what they want.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Can't say I agree with that too much, I think people have tons of freedom and freewill, but most people aren't willing to take on the risk of really going for what they want.
Maybe the willingness to take on risk is in your DNA :). Had this discussion with someone at work and they thought I was using it as an excuse so It removed accountability for my actions. I disagree it helps me forgive others for theirs. I still want to be a good person but that's based off my temperament and life experience IMO. It's interesting any ways.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Maybe the willingness to take on risk is in your DNA :). Had this discussion with someone at work and they thought I was using it as an excuse so It removed accountability for my actions. I disagree it helps me forgive others for theirs. I still want to be a good person but that's based off my temperament and life experience IMO. It's interesting any ways.
True, I think it depend on how much stability in your life you have too. For example if you have all your friends and family that you grew up with for years in one city, and you find a decent job, you have a very stable, predictable life. And people really are creatures of habit so how willing are you to take the risk of moving somewhere you've always wanted to go, or go after a career that was a dream of yours for years? I think most times when big life changes happen it's because there isn't that stability so the reward outweighs the risk of going for what you want.

Other factors too, but I think that's one for sure. Also depends on what part of the planet you're from. But in a western society I'd say you have a lot of freedom.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
And that's their country and here's our country. Cultural relativism in reality is a very weak concept when it comes to social sciences, but there is a certain level of it that existences. For example, what if I were to tell you that the average businessman in Japan makes more than a Doctor? You would probably be partial mindblown considering what it takes to become a physician in the United State, but that is just the difference in culture. True Japanese people tend to be healthier, which might diminish the healthcare reputation compared to other countries, but accidents still do exist and every semi-major city/town/municipal will need an ER physician and a trauma surgeon and both make less than other counterparts. It might suck and seem unfair, but that's the nature of the game.

Average Income of Doctors in Singapore vs Other Countries

Japan as a country is still stuck in an aging paradigm of how to increase wealth and allocate public funds. Their model has not changed in decades, and it is driving their healthcare problem.

The Japanese model of economic investment works well for a younger population, but very poorly for an older population. Japan has the oldest population in the world. Their public sector is focused on investing in infrastructure and manufacturing. This works well when you have a young working population that wants jobs and can utilize family funds from working to offset a lack of public investment in the social safety net. Today the average age in Japan is over 45, and the retirement age is 60. Younger workers can find jobs, but pay is not good, wages have actually gone down in Japan since the late 90's.

BN-HA887_wage1_G_20150220025752.jpg

Today most working age people in Japan are at least partially supporting retired relatives, and the lack of increase in wages is making it harder on families. What should be happening is public investment in the safety net and the healthcare system to increase wages and ease the burden on working individuals, not more trains and highways.

Reactions: S E P H

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
True, I think it depend on how much stability in your life you have too. For example if you have all your friends and family that you grew up with for years in one city, and you find a decent job, you have a very stable, predictable life. And people really are creatures of habit so how willing are you to take the risk of moving somewhere you've always wanted to go, or go after a career that was a dream of yours for years? I think most times when big life changes happen it's because there isn't that stability so the reward outweighs the risk of going for what you want.

Other factors too, but I think that's one for sure.
I've always been willing to take risks which has tended to get me into trouble whether in school, relationships and work. Has more to do with becoming easily bored with the same old and needing to find ways to challenge myself. I do think stability is important because I've lived through some periods that were unnecessarily unstable and have had to learn to balance my risk taking nature and be more calculating. And also put myself in situations where my personality works better. I think instability can cause growth but can also crush certain people and that is more due to a combination of DNA and how their life prepares them up until that point.

Though for a while I became stuck in habitual safeness(not sure if word) due to a few bad things happening which scared me from taking risk. Had to figure out how to fix that because without novelty I stagnate. I feel like I've shared too much haha. I feel like an amateur philosopher.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I've always been willing to take risks which has tended to get me into trouble whether in school, relationships and work. Has more to do with becoming easily bored with the same old and needing to find ways to challenge myself. I do think stability is important because I've lived through some periods that were unnecessarily unstable and have had to learn to balance my risk taking nature and be more calculating. And also put myself in situations where my personality works better. I think instability can cause growth but can also crush certain people and that is more due to a combination of DNA and how their life prepares them up until that point.

Though for a while I became stuck in habitual safeness(not sure if word) due to a few bad things happening which scared me from taking risk. Had to figure out how to fix that because without novelty I stagnate. I feel like I've shared too much haha. I feel like an amateur philosopher.

To be fair 90% of the OT thread on here is amateur philosopher hour.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
When I first started out as a Moderator, it was pretty much all business. "Stay on topic!" and all of that.

Now though?

Just don't burn the ****ing thread down, don't break the worst of the rules, and then...well then, The Dude abides.

That's called aging

Reactions: MarkT

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Do you ever call any of them? Or is it like a sport lol?

Oh yeah, I take em all out.

I think you've pulled more numbers this month than I have in my entire life.

Never too late to change man. I'm running three dating apps and going out every Friday and Saturday I can.

I was a huge recluse for a long time. I realized that wasn't what I wanted.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not really, automation is going to go after white collar jobs first. Stocking shelves is going to have a longer lifespan as a mass occupation than writing software will.
Even then, there will need to be jobs maintaining, programming, and monitoring the machines that do the manual labor. The job market always adjusts to new paradigms. The invention of the car killed a lot of jobs in the horseshoe industry, but created jobs on assembly lines.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
What a game. Gotta love this team.

On a negative side something has to be done to our powerplay. Today it was even worse than it has been. Switching Rants and Josts places didn't work. Jost lost the puck on both of tonight's powerplays and Nashville had more dangerous scoring chances than us.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What a game. Gotta love this team.

On a negative side something has to be done to our powerplay. Today it was even worse than it has been. Switching Rants and Josts places didn't work. Jost lost the puck on both of tonight's powerplays and Nashville had more dangerous scoring chances than us.

I'd be tempted to try Andrighetto on the top unit, change things up. He's talented, and he adds a different element I think. I'd probably pull Jost from it right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad