Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Dude, man up. Sell the car or the house or something....show some commitment..

Normally I'll cancel my vacation in Spain because of a potential game 6 and 7. Am I showing some commitment??
:laugh::laugh:

----
Btw, I hope nhl realise that Vegas winning in the 1st year wouldn't be good for the franchise (no goals for the future) so they'll favor the Caps :laugh: who am I kidding? We know how it will work:sarcasm::laugh:

Reactions: Heath

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
We have beaten all the Disney monsters on our way to meet the Cinderella. Now show no mercy to that b**ch and her mean stepfather Georgie :)

Win or lose, its exstatic to get there. Stanley Cup finals. After all the years of disappointment. Im going to give this team my sincerest hats off expression no matter what happens from this point on. This team is a thing of beauty, the mindset and the story is there to take it all. And we have been around for 40+ years. Its not fair if the first timers can have it.

Vegas is so scary. Their mindset and story is there too, and their speed and resilliency have crushed anyone standing on their way so far. But if anyone can do it, its this Capitals team.

Just win a (first for franchise) game in the finals and build from that.

Also happy that even having GMGM there, i cant find myself disliking Vegas. Its a sweet final series with a great storyline on both parties. Would still rather have taken Jets..

Reactions: RandyHolt

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Looks like we're on a mission to knock out all the Pens 3-peat members.

Round 1 - Cole
Round 2 - Pens Team
Round 3 - Kunitz
Round 4 - Fleury?

Make it happen boys.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Went through the team that tanked to get us.
Made it through the mighty Pens (finally).
Made it through the team everyone said would destroy them.

Everyone will pick Vegas, and with MAF playing the way he is and his history against the Caps, I understand it. No idea how it works out but man I am praying they keep proving the experts wrong.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Safe to say the Karlsson line will see plenty of 9/2. Harder to match on the road, though, so Carlson will need to be on his game as well. I thought his decision-making was rather off in G7 tonight but when you're feeling it as a team it's manageable. Djoos will need to be better as well.

Lots of speed in that Vegas lineup so we'll see how well the Caps are able to slow them down. On paper you see a team with Sbisa & Engelland and think maybe you've got a chance but it'll be on the Caps to break them down. Exits and the forecheck will need to consistently be on point against a team that seems to bring it arguably as consistently as anyone. Shutting down the Karlsson line and being hard on Schmidt will be two keys to at least start putting their defensive grind type stamp on the series.

To the bolded:

Come on man. Maybe they have a chance? This isn’t the first round we are talking. Caps just blew through 2 amazing teams (and CBus was no wallflower). Caps have a TERRIFIC chance to bring a championship to DC.

I know you’ve doubted them this entire time, I get it. But it’s time to see them for what they are.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
My vision of Djoos having to stand up to Reeves in the playoffs, come to fruition after all.

Djoos seems like he may need a break, as he looked a little shaky late in the series. I am not sure it was anything physical as I cannot even recall him getting hit once but a few days off should bode well.

Jun 15, 2007
I have a feeling Schmidt's smile which I always found quite endearing is going to become very annoying very quickly.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
To the bolded:

Come on man. Maybe they have a chance? This isn’t the first round we are talking. Caps just blew through 2 amazing teams (and CBus was no wallflower). Caps have a TERRIFIC chance to bring a championship to DC.

I know you’ve doubted them this entire time, I get it. But it’s time to see them for what they are.

Good point, and that's the big difference here between 2018 and 1998. This Caps team is much better than the '98 club, and the Golden Knights are nowhere near the powerhouse that the '98 Wings were. The Caps can win this! Hell last night they were favored in the HF poll.

The 98 final was over before it started. Even if Tik buried his big miss and they went on to win G2, the end result wasn't going to change.

This year anything is possible.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good point, and that's the big difference here between 2018 and 1998. This Caps team is much better than the '98 club, and the Golden Knights are nowhere near the powerhouse that the '98 Wings were. The Caps can win this! Hell last night they were favored in the HF poll.

The 98 final was over before it started. Even if Tik buried his big miss and they went on to win G2, the end result wasn't going to change.

This year anything is possible.

I think its finally this franchise’s time.

I thought before the playoffs started that this was Trotz’s best TEAM....due to the synergies from the stars (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson, Oshie), the emergence of the NexGen (Kuznetsov, Orlov, Wilson, Eller), the steadiness of guys like Orpik, Niskanen, Beagle....and the speed, passion and enthusiasm of the youth (Vrana, Burakovsky, Stephenson, Gersich, Walker, Djoos). It looked like a 2016/2017 Pens team to me.

Here we are. Chef Trotz cooked the stew perfectly (with help from his sous-chefs). Few more demons to conquer (Fleury, McPhee, Zero SCF “game wins”), and they’ve done it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
What a difference three days makes. Tickets were $73 for game six.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 10.02.21 AM.png

p.s. it's "Final" idiots. ;)

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Vegas is a good team. Fluery is a hell of a goalie

However, I feel like Vegas played an easy west coast conference, similar to how Tampa got to the ECF.

But maybe I am just being bias. The east had WAY better teams than the west this year

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad