Red Sox/MLB 2018 REGULAR SEASON II - 85-35 - Jerry Remy Again Diagnosed With Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
One of the few things CHB has said lately that I actually agree with.

yup, blind squirrel found a nut

IMO its a combo of 2 things.

1. like he mentions, is there are far too many 3 outcome at bats. Too often its strike out, walk or HR. You dont have guys looking for contact/hits like a few years ago anymore.

1a. the shift doesnt help either. Too many would be hits are now routine put outs. I would be ok with a new rule that says something like:

3B and SS can not set up on the right side of 2B before the pitch, and 2B/1B can not set up on the left side of 2B...basically the left side of the infield has to stay there and vice versa

2. Revenue sharing has backfired. It was set up to encourage/allow small market teams to compete for FAs and retain their home made stars.

Instead too many owners are simply using it as a welfare check. Too many teams are in the business of running out garbage line ups at a minimal salary cost to make a nice profit off the revenue sharing check.

That is a major issue and is a legitimate threat to the league. They need to amend revenue sharing to say something like "any $ from revenue sharing that is not used on player compensation is forfeited."

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Somebody reminded me that David Price also pitched the final game of Tampa Bay's regular season in 2011 against NYY and was hammered in a game the Rays had to win.

Retrosheet Boxscore: Tampa Bay Rays 8, New York Yankees 7

A smug CHB declares on NESN the Red Sox season would not end on that night :cry:

The TB/NYY game 162 probably infuriates me more than the BOS/BAL one. I am convinced that Joe Girardi threw that game to eliminate Boston. They get a huge lead on the board, then in the last three innings he makes some of the fishiest pitching changes and strategic decisions.

Reactions: Fenway and dabid

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Do people still care about the All Star Game and who makes it? Serious question...
I hate all the complaining, it's like arguing over top ten lists, which mean absolutely nothing.

I'm pretty sure I made this exact same post vis-a-vis the NHL ASG back in February, but it works for the MLB too. The thing with the ASG is that back in the 70s and 80s with a limited national broadcast package, no widspread cable, and AL and NL teams never meeting outside the World Series, the All-Star Game made sense as a spectacle. It was your one chance to see a lot of the best players in the game (like the stars from Seattle, Montreal, and other bad teams). It was the only way you'd see Andre Dawson, Rod Carew, and Dale Murphy on the field at the same time.

But now we have MLB Network and ESPN showing games every night, the internet, greater coverage, and interleague play throughout the year. Any narrative of Mookie Betts/Aaron Judge vs. Bryce Harper going head to head as most talented young outfielder in the game is shot because the Nationals played the Yanks and Sox within the last two weeks.

MLB retains some of the mystique because interleague is limited to one division, so for those of us who only watch the Sox and passively follow the other NL divisions (if that), it might be our only viewing of Nolan Arrenado all year. But the ability to watch him regularly is widely available, whereas if you lived in Boston in 1982 and only had channel 38 and limited NBC saturday afternoon games, it was probably your only possible way to watch players from teams like the Astros and Reds.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
The TB/NYY game 162 probably infuriates me more than the BOS/BAL one. I am convinced that Joe Girardi threw that game to eliminate Boston. They get a huge lead on the board, then in the last three innings he makes some of the fishiest pitching changes and strategic decisions.

and then piece of shit Dan Johnson with his .108 batting average with 2 strikes and 2 outs hits a line drive that clears the fence by 2 inches to tie

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
yup, blind squirrel found a nut

IMO its a combo of 2 things.

1. like he mentions, is there are far too many 3 outcome at bats. Too often its strike out, walk or HR. You dont have guys looking for contact/hits like a few years ago anymore.

1a. the shift doesnt help either. Too many would be hits are now routine put outs. I would be ok with a new rule that says something like:

3B and SS can not set up on the right side of 2B before the pitch, and 2B/1B can not set up on the left side of 2B...basically the left side of the infield has to stay there and vice versa

2. Revenue sharing has backfired. It was set up to encourage/allow small market teams to compete for FAs and retain their home made stars.

Instead too many owners are simply using it as a welfare check. Too many teams are in the business of running out garbage line ups at a minimal salary cost to make a nice profit off the revenue sharing check.

That is a major issue and is a legitimate threat to the league. They need to amend revenue sharing to say something like "any $ from revenue sharing that is not used on player compensation is forfeited."
Good points. On the revenue share problem, they can just show the money gotten from the program went to the players. They’ll just save more of their money. Doesn’t help unless they put a lower limit to force them to spend. I know the Sox and Yankees have complained. Too many examples of them pocketing money. I won’t even mention the Marlins and their over seas accounts. Teams like the Pirates, Royals, and the Brewers all has recent success and sold their players or traded them so the payroll would go up. You’d think they would keep the train going to make money. People get interested and spend money. Nope. They revert back to pocketing the little money instea of making a lot more by putting on a good team on the field.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Good points. On the revenue share problem, they can just show the money gotten from the program went to the players. They’ll just save more of their money. Doesn’t help unless they put a lower limit to force them to spend. I know the Sox and Yankees have complained. Too many examples of them pocketing money. I won’t even mention the Marlins and their over seas accounts. Teams like the Pirates, Royals, and the Brewers all has recent success and sold their players or traded them so the payroll would go up. You’d think they would keep the train going to make money. People get interested and spend money. Nope. They revert back to pocketing the little money instea of making a lot more by putting on a good team on the field.

But the Brewers are already good again

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Bosox are so fun and good now and so likeable historically. Since Trammell retired in 96, they've been my favorite AL team. The Yankees are so unlikable and Cashman seems to think hitters striking out and OBP don't matter. Good luck in the playoffs. The BoSox will definitely beat the the Yanks. I'm enjoying Eck calling the game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like the Brandon Phillips signing

It’s worth a shot and he’s very charismatic and should be a good presence

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sox schedule since Yankees series and until Phillies at end of the month:

Nationals
Royals
Rangers
Blue Jays
Tigers
Orioles
Twins

Holy smokes. More power to you if you can watch some of these horrific teams. And I like baseball. But talk about a boring month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad