Prospect Info: 2018 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Fair enough and while I disagree with you to an extent I respect the fact that you stated your position respectfully and reasonably.
I think the main difference in views is how much you build through the draft vs free agency/trades.
In terms of the draft another top 5 pick and a full group of other 2019 draft picks should give us enough high picks but we will still need to draft solidly going forward to keep bringing in new young players.

The way I come at it is to look at other successful rebuilds. Let’s take Toronto as an example.
High end forwards from draft: Matthews, Marner and Nylander.
Kadri probably a mid end forward.
Then Tavares and Marleau free agents round out the top six forwards.
Defense: Rielly high end drafted.
Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey round out the top 4 and are all free agents.
Goalie: Andersen was a trade I believe.
So 4 core players drafted. Five if you count Kadri.

With one more high pick we’re probably not far off that.
Where we lack is the free agents imo. And obviously getting a Tavares rarely happens so we probably need to have at least 5 core players drafted. Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, and Hughes could be four. Then one of Demko and new guy needs to be a top player as well. Ideally one of Juolevi or Woo becomes a top 4 guy too. And Virtanen becomes a top 6 guy.
Or let’s look at the 2011 SCF Canuck team.
Drafted high end forwards: Sedins and Kesler. Maybe Burrows.
Defense: Edler and Tanev.
Free agent/trades Ehrhoff/Hamhuis.
Goalie: Free agent/trades: Luongo.
So maybe 5 key guys drafted. Six if you add Burrows.

I don’t have any confidence in Benning being able to fill in the free agent/trade holes but that’s a separate issue IMO.
Agreed. We won't be able to afford 2-3 more Pettersson/Boeser calibre players if we tanked for another 2-3 years. Other teams like Pittsburgh, they have their core players (Crosby, Malkin, Letang) that they can win a Stanley Cup with, keep those players and rotate the other guys for cheaper players.

The hardest part of turning this team into a winning team is getting Benning to make good free agent signings and a couple good trades. 2nd round picks for Baertschi, or swaps of Carcone/Shinkaruk for Leivo/Granlund isn't going to turn this team into a contender.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
With a guy like Pettersson, its much easier to attract FAs, you hear the Vaxjo guys say that you pass him the puck and collect the points, Vancouver is a great city with lots of guys originally from around here, a Tavares type of signing is not out of the question. I consider the rebuild done if we add Kakko or Hughes. then we fire Benning and hire a competent GM with clout and go into the next phase.

Yikes- wish it were so. For rebuild to be closer to the point where we get to start thinking about building a competitive team soon (we are not there yet):

Need to get lucky and get Kakko or Hughes2 while Hughes1 becomes what he looks like he might be, Boeser improve from last year once he gets up to speed, Horvat to continue on his trend, Virtanen and Gaudette to become useful pieces, Juolevi and Woo to be top 4 guys, and then for this management to be replaced or get lucky and have them sign a Fabbro type or two to make a difference. And then we need to lose a bunch of shit contracts and find a few bottom 6 guys who can make a difference from nowhere... while all of the above guys sign sweet heart deals rather then ask to be overpaid to stay in Vancouver.

I might have a better of growing a set of beautiful boobs than all of this happening (I am a 230 lb dude) lol

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
With a guy like Pettersson, its much easier to attract FAs, you hear the Vaxjo guys say that you pass him the puck and collect the points, Vancouver is a great city with lots of guys originally from around here, a Tavares type of signing is not out of the question. I consider the rebuild done if we add Kakko or Hughes. then we fire Benning and hire a competent GM with clout and go into the next phase.

This sounds like a plan, Benning can be the tank commander while Canucks accumulate high end prospects through the draft and when the time is right, bring in a GM that is capable of pushing the team to a championship.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Yikes- wish it were so. For rebuild to be closer to the point where we get to start thinking about building a competitive team soon (we are not there yet):

Need to get lucky and get Kakko or Hughes2 while Hughes1 becomes what he looks like he might be, Boeser improve from last year once he gets up to speed, Horvat to continue on his trend, Virtanen and Gaudette to become useful pieces, Juolevi and Woo to be top 4 guys, and then for this management to be replaced or get lucky and have them sign a Fabbro type or two to make a difference. And then we need to lose a bunch of **** contracts and find a few bottom 6 guys who can make a difference from nowhere... while all of the above guys sign sweet heart deals rather then ask to be overpaid to stay in Vancouver.

I might have a better of growing a set of beautiful boobs than all of this happening (I am a 230 lb dude) lol

If all those hit, then we win the cup in a couple years lol, no one is saying that. I am not suggesting that a franchise jumps from rebuild to contention right away, All im saying is if we add a top 2 pick, then we will have enough elite talent to build around, no more languishing at the bottom. Then, we tinker and go into Gillis phase to round up supporting players, the Higgins, Samuelsson, Lapierre, Erhoffs etc... and continue to develop those already in the system, the lockwoods, Maddens, Gaudettes, heck maybe a Lind, or Manukyan will surprise... If you own a nice pair of petite pink areolas already, you have a chance to grow said "set" with time and a savvy GM.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If all those hit, then we win the cup in a couple years lol, no one is saying that. I am not suggesting that a franchise jumps from rebuild to contention right away, All im saying is if we add a top 2 pick, then we will have enough elite talent to build around, no more languishing at the bottom. Then, we tinker and go into Gillis phase to round up supporting players, the Higgins, Samuelsson, Lapierre, Erhoffs etc... and continue to develop those already in the system, the lockwoods, Maddens, Gaudettes, heck maybe a Lind, or Manukyan will surprise... If you own a nice pair of petite pink areolas already, you have a chance to grow said "set" with time and a savvy GM.

ahh someone else has maunkyan on their radar. Nice.

Our core hopefully in 19 - 20 is Boeser Horvat Pettersson as stars up front. And Virtanen. And Sutter as the supporting cast, withs 3 or 4 of Gaudette Dahlen Lockwood Madden Gadjovich Lind and or Palmu to fill in. And our 2019 shiny new toy draft pick.

Our D is Tanev an aging Edler, with Juolevi, Hughes and Tryamkin as our core. Woo woo. etc.

Either Markstrom or Neilson improve, or Demko on fire, or Dipietro.

But really, it is a pretty good nucleus.

Oh crap i missed our other superstar Lievo ....

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Barzal is from here :nod:

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Dec 7

AHL

Springfield 2 Utica 5
Demko 23 saves on 25 shots

Jonathan Dahlen (5) ASST: Jesse Graham (5), Evan McEneny (9) (PP)
Jonathan Dahlen (6) ASST: Brendan Gaunce (1)
Jesse Graham (1) ASST: Tanner Kero (12) (PP)
Carter Bancks (1) ASST: Dylan Blujus (3), Jonah Gadjovich (2)
Tanner Kero (9) ASST: Darren Archibald (4), Jaime Sifers (3)

ECHL

Indy 3 Kalamazoo 5
Kulbakov 24 saves on 27 shots

USHL

Dubuque 3 Muskegon 2
Thiessen 26 saves on 28 shots

NCAA

Minnesota 2 Michigan 2 (OT)
Hughes 1 assist, even
Lockwood 1 goal (5th), +1

OHL

Oshawa 2 Mississauga 4
Brassard 1 assist, -1

Ottawa 1 Gatineau 2
DiPietro was the back-up

WHL

Moose Jaw 3 Saskatoon 2
Woo 2 assists, +1

S_C

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Has anyone been watching Woo? Is his increase in points indicative of a change in his play?
No but he has been a game star for many of the games which is encouraging. Would say 20 points in 15 games indicates some sort of change over 2 points in first 8 games. Also remember he was injured during training camp so last section may be indicative of his level when healthy. Progress is positive and with his late birth he still has another full year in the whl. MS showed other draft picks doing as well but Woo offensive game and injuries were his question marks. He is answering the offensive questions.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
If you are worried about Woo's offensive stats - look at his scoring history:

Jett Woo
2015-16 (as a 15 year old) GP 7 G 0 A 1 P 1
2016-17 GP 65 G 5 A 17 P 22 (P/G 0.34)
2017-18 GP 44 G 9 A 16 P 25 (P/G 0.57) (selected 37th in 2018 draft)
2018-19 GP 23 G 5 A 17 P 22 (P/G 0.96)

Looks like good progression offensively, and he brings physicality too - I'm not worried!

S_C

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you are worried about Woo's offensive stats - look at his scoring history:

Jett Woo
2015-16 (as a 15 year old) GP 7 G 0 A 1 P 1
2016-17 GP 65 G 5 A 17 P 22 (P/G 0.34)
2017-18 GP 44 G 9 A 16 P 25 (P/G 0.57) (selected 37th in 2018 draft)
2018-19 GP 23 G 5 A 17 P 22 (P/G 0.96)

Looks like good progression offensively, and he brings physicality too - I'm not worried!

S_C

Pretty much every CHL player has this sort of progression.

Right now he’s doing what he needs to do to maintain his draft position and projection as a low-scoring defensive defender in the NHL.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
In Woo's draft year, he was nearly a ppg (maybe a ppg) until his injury, then his production dropped after being deployed in a shutdown role.

Nice to see Dahlen with a multi goal game. Let's hope this spark something.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
In Woo's draft year, he was nearly a ppg (maybe a ppg) until his injury, then his production dropped after being deployed in a shutdown role.

Nice to see Dahlen with a multi goal game. Let's hope this spark something.
I think Dahlen will be a beauty for us. Someone posted he has 14 pts in 24 games in his rookie AHL season and everyone is freaking out as his speed is slow. But if these pts are him bad imagine when he learns better with the pace of North American ice. Maybe we just needed to be patient with him and the expectations were too high based on what he did last year

I made the same mistake with my Gaudette expectations and got roasted royally here, rightfully. Maybe we should group roast ourselves for our unreal Dahlen expectations before he even hit the North American ice

I think theres more to him then weve seen so far

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Even Erik Gudbranson managed 34 pts in 43 games in his D+1 somehow.
Guddy would have been an excellent skater at his size in the OHL and was drawing comparisons to Hedman earlier on

Major Jr. production can mean very little in the scheme of things (in the sense of being PPG or able to produce in Jr.-- if they can't produce in Jr. they won't be able to produce at higher levels, which shouldn't need to be said)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad