Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Wed Dec 6

AHL

Utica 2 Rochester 5
Demko 22 saves on 25 shots

Reid Boucher (11) ASST: Evan McEneny (7), Darren Archibald (3)
Jonathan Dahlen (4) ASST: Zack MacEwen (9), Evan McEneny (8)

WHL

Medicine Hat 6 Moose Jaw 5 (OT)
Woo 1 goal (5th), 3 assists, even (selected 1st star)

S_C

Looks like Woo is making a statement. Sometimes not being selected for the National team can light a fire under a player.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Woo's looking like a legit prospect. He's not expected to be an offensive producer (and he won't be) but close to PPG in the dub is a very good sign for his development and his potential to play top 4 minutes at a higher level.

As for Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich etc. It's normal to be optimistic on junior-age prospects - and part of the fun of being a fan. Of course the majority of these won't make it, realistically these are 2nd tier guys and some 20% could be NHL regulars. But we should be patient, it's early and these guys may yet improve.

I think most justifiably rated our prospect pool highly for Pettersson and Hughes, both of whom are looking like elite talent.

Even Juolevi, as disappointing as it has turned out (opportunity cost of not taking Tkachuk) we have to give this kid some time to heal and fill out. No sense whining about it now.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like the progress of Jett Woo as a prospect. Starting to hit his stride offensively and combined with being a physical, punishing hitter, it's an intriguing combination. Maybe a Kevin Bieksa-like projection?

Certainly the Canucks desperately need some drafted d-men to work out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Woo plays absolutely nothing like Bieksa and it’s bizarre that this comparison keeps coming up.

Woo is a solid, boring fundamentally sound defender who projects like a Travis Hamonic or Ian Cole if he hits his upside.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Brassard is back in the line-up for Oshawa tonight. I'm assuming he was injured, but I haven't found any confirmation.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Getting more excited about Woo as a prospect. It is good that he is showing some offense at this level. I don't expect he will be a big point producer at the next level(s) but it's good to see. I just realized that he is a mid 2000 BD, one of the younger D-men taken in the draft. Size, grit, and some skill suggests he could be in Utica next year just after he turns 19.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
The prospect pool was massively overrated, for one.

All of the prospects worst habits get exposed as soon as they make the tough transition from junior (in most cases) to professional hockey, especially skating ability which is not exactly a strength of Dahlen Juolevi Gadjovich or Lind. Add to that the complete lack of support of AHL veterans, especially skilled centres, as the Benning admin has completely ignored the needs of it's developmental system and choose to just blow smoke up our asses that everything is going just fine in Utica!

I don't know about being massively overrated, seems to me it's been frequently recognized as one of the better prospect pools in the league, but the weak veteran support and lack of organizational depth down the middle makes sense. What about the Utica coaching staff?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about being massively overrated, seems to me it's been frequently recognized as one of the better prospect pools in the league, but the weak veteran support and lack of organizational depth down the middle makes sense. What about the Utica coaching staff?

Weak veteran support and coaching aren’t why Lind/Gadjovich/Dahlen/ Juolevi can’t skate.

Reactions: timw33

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Weak veteran support and coaching aren’t why Lind/Gadjovich/Dahlen/ Juolevi can’t skate.

Dahlen and Juolevi can't skate? That appears to go against the various scouting reports. I guess they fooled everybody.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson NHL superstar
Gaudette NHL
Goldobin NHL
Demko NHL after trade deadline
Hughes NHL by seasons end
MacEwen should get a look at NHL

Juolevi AHL leading rookie defenseman scorer before getting hurt.
Dahlen struggling
Lind struggling
Brisebois struggling

Woo trending nicely
DiPietro trending nicely
Lockwood trending nicely
Madden trending nicely
Rathbone trending nicely
2019 stud on his way

How is this a disappointment? 4 of the top6 are not lottery picks

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Pettersson NHL superstar
Gaudette NHL
Goldobin NHL

Dahlen struggling
Lind struggling
Brisebois struggling

Woo trending nicely
DiPietro trending nicely
Lockwood trending nicely
Madden trending nicely
Rathbone trending nicely
2019 stud on his way

Remember when Lind Dahlen Gadjovic Palmu were all trending nicely and Utica was going to bee too stacked...just 6 months ago?

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Pettersson NHL superstar
Gaudette NHL
Goldobin NHL

Dahlen struggling
Lind struggling
Brisebois struggling

Woo trending nicely
DiPietro trending nicely
Lockwood trending nicely
Madden trending nicely
Rathbone trending nicely
2019 stud on his way

Maybe because Pettersson is the only player on that list that has proven anything.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Dahlen and Juolevi can't skate? That appears to go against the various scouting reports. I guess they fooled everybody.
No scouting report has ever said Dahlen is a strong or fast skater. Or at least they shouldn't have.

He's has good edgework like his dad or Shinkaruk, but he isn't powerful or quick.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Remember when Lind Dahlen Gadjovic Palmu were all trending nicely and Utica was going to bee too stacked...just 6 months ago?
We hear that every year and then the shiny new toys that never played pro hockey disappoint focusing everyone's attention to the next group of shiny new toys that have yet to play a game of pro hockey.

Reactions: Canadian Club

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson NHL superstar
Gaudette NHL
Goldobin NHL

Dahlen struggling
Lind struggling
Brisebois struggling

Woo trending nicely
DiPietro trending nicely
Lockwood trending nicely
Madden trending nicely
Rathbone trending nicely
2019 stud on his way

Absolutely! There will be some disappointments and some surprises same as every prospect pool.
The top end talent is really high with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.
That’s the most important thing as those are the toughest positions to fill. After that we just need another high pick and a couple of pleasant surprises and it’s looking much better.
No team fills its roster completely with draft picks. The next step is some decent free agent signings where so far the Canucks have been pretty poor at under Benning.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks have an excellent group of prospects to move forward with, not all will be successful but at least they have real potential and have tracked well thus far.

Also Canucks just need to build a young core of 7 players, the rest will likely be veterans acquired through free agency and trade.

Our young core in the NHL right now: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat
Very likely to be integrated by next season: Q.Hughes, Juolevi, Demko

Those 6 players are not "prospects that every NHL team has", Pettersson is putting up superstar numbers, Boeser is a 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL, Horvat is on pace for 70 points this season, and Hughes is tracking to be a high powered offensive d-man.

In addition, Canucks have young, solid depth pieces to be NHL players: Virtanen, Gaudette

I'm in favour of Canucks losing enough this season to get a top 3 pick and then I would consider our rebuild done. We have enough cost controlled young players that can make an impact in the NHL that we can go out and sign a marquee forward or defenceman long term while our current high priced players contracts will expire in the near future.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The top end talent is really high with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.
After that we just need another high pick and a couple of pleasant surprises and it’s looking much better.
The next step is some decent free agent signings where so far the Canucks have been pretty poor at under Benning.

Also Canucks just need to build a young core of 7 players, the rest will likely be veterans acquired through free agency and trade.

Our young core in the NHL right now: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat
Very likely to be integrated by next season: Q.Hughes, Juolevi, Demko

In addition, Canucks have young, solid depth pieces to be NHL players: Virtanen, Gaudette

I'm in favour of Canucks losing enough this season to get a top 3 pick and then I would consider our rebuild done. We have enough cost controlled young players that can make an impact in the NHL that we can go out and sign a marquee forward or defenceman long term while our current high priced players contracts will expire in the near future.

The board remains pretty polarized and sometimes angry, though I think it's been better lately. At the risk of making things worse, I thought I'd comment on these two somewhat similar posts (which I've edited down to try to emphasize what I think is at their core.)

The posters above think the rebuild is almost done. With another good draft, some good signings, and a bit of development, the Canucks will be a serious cup contender.

I think that the rebuild isn't done. The team needs to acquire many more top players through the draft. If management does what these posters think should be done, the team will top-out as mediocre for a few seasons and then regress.

I don't think that the posters above are irrational, or drinking koolaid (an offensive metaphor for those who can't think for themselves and are blindly agreeing with what management says). I simply disagree with them.

My disagreement doesn't mean that I'm knee-jerk, or negative, or that I'm blindly agreeing with certain members of the media. It means I have a different position.

I can understand how both sides get angry and frustrated with each other, but it's sad when the argument devolves to name-calling. I thank the posters above, with whom I strongly disagree, for stating their positions without feeling compelled to insult those who see things differently.

That's my quota of moralizing for the day.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The board remains pretty polarized and sometimes angry, though I think it's been better lately. At the risk of making things worse, I thought I'd comment on these two somewhat similar posts (which I've edited down to try to emphasize what I think is at their core.)

The posters above think the rebuild is almost done. With another good draft, some good signings, and a bit of development, the Canucks will be a serious cup contender.

I think that the rebuild isn't done. The team needs to acquire many more top players through the draft. If management does what these posters think should be done, the team will top-out as mediocre for a few seasons and then regress.

I don't think that the posters above are irrational, or drinking koolaid (an offensive metaphor for those who can't think for themselves and are blindly agreeing with what management says). I simply disagree with them.

My disagreement doesn't mean that I'm knee-jerk, or negative, or that I'm blindly agreeing with certain members of the media. It means I have a different position.

I can understand how both sides get angry and frustrated with each other, but it's sad when the argument devolves to name-calling. I thank the posters above, with whom I strongly disagree, for stating their positions without feeling compelled to insult those who see things differently.

That's my quota of moralizing for the day.
Fair enough and while I disagree with you to an extent I respect the fact that you stated your position respectfully and reasonably.
I think the main difference in views is how much you build through the draft vs free agency/trades.
In terms of the draft another top 5 pick and a full group of other 2019 draft picks should give us enough high picks but we will still need to draft solidly going forward to keep bringing in new young players.

The way I come at it is to look at other successful rebuilds. Let’s take Toronto as an example.
High end forwards from draft: Matthews, Marner and Nylander.
Kadri probably a mid end forward.
Then Tavares and Marleau free agents round out the top six forwards.
Defense: Rielly high end drafted.
Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey round out the top 4 and are all free agents.
Goalie: Andersen was a trade I believe.
So 4 core players drafted. Five if you count Kadri.

With one more high pick we’re probably not far off that.
Where we lack is the free agents imo. And obviously getting a Tavares rarely happens so we probably need to have at least 5 core players drafted. Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, and Hughes could be four. Then one of Demko and new guy needs to be a top player as well. Ideally one of Juolevi or Woo becomes a top 4 guy too. And Virtanen becomes a top 6 guy.
Or let’s look at the 2011 SCF Canuck team.
Drafted high end forwards: Sedins and Kesler. Maybe Burrows.
Defense: Edler and Tanev.
Free agent/trades Ehrhoff/Hamhuis.
Goalie: Free agent/trades: Luongo.
So maybe 5 key guys drafted. Six if you add Burrows.

I don’t have any confidence in Benning being able to fill in the free agent/trade holes but that’s a separate issue IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Get North

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
With a guy like Pettersson, its much easier to attract FAs, you hear the Vaxjo guys say that you pass him the puck and collect the points, Vancouver is a great city with lots of guys originally from around here, a Tavares type of signing is not out of the question. I consider the rebuild done if we add Kakko or Hughes. then we fire Benning and hire a competent GM with clout and go into the next phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad