OT: 2018 Phillies: Part trey

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
are these philly reporters just reporting this about harper? because im not going to buy into the rumors unless it's from espn. i wish philly reporters would stop posting nonsense because they are making themselves look like idiots.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I mean, everything is pointing to Harper coming here. I hope it happens fast and isn't dragged out. I also hope the Phillies aren't just being used a pawn to drive up his price for another team.

The thing about MLB though is there aren't really any secrets...I cant see a sleeper team being involved without anyone reporting on it.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm expecting they sign Harper and one of the bigger name pitchers. Won't happen but my God if they threw together a package for Trout, I'd cream my jorts all over the place.

Give them a deal like the following (virtually whatever they want outside of the few untouchables on the roster):
Herrera, Haseley, Moniak, Franco, Medina, Eflin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm expecting they sign Harper and one of the bigger name pitchers. Won't happen but my God if they threw together a package for Trout, I'd cream my jorts all over the place.

Give them a deal like the following (virtually whatever they want outside of the few untouchables on the roster):

For me, when it comes to Trout, no one is untouchable.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

If you sign Harper you can give the Angels Odubel and one of Altherr/Williams, Franco or one of Kingery/Cesar, prospects, a SP, and throw in Santana just to be nice.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If you sign Harper you can give the Angels Odubel and one of Altherr/Williams, Franco or one of Kingery/Cesar, prospects, a SP, and throw in Santana just to be nice.
If you’re not trading Nola for him, they are going to want Rhys+Sixto plus all of that other good stuff. A lot more and’s than or’s.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
If you’re not trading Nola for him, they are going to want Rhys+Sixto plus all of that other good stuff. A lot more and’s than or’s.

I could handle more "ands" :laugh:

I would consider Sixto because I'm always suspicious of smaller guys who throw that hard. The only two that I would really hold out on are Rhys and Nola.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You would definitely have to give up one of Rhys or Nola. I’m sure the Phillies would prefer to keep Nola without thinking twice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think you'd have to give up one of Nola/Hoskins as I doubt they would give up one of them for 2 years of Trout. I know that if they traded for him he likely re-signs but you can't trade one of them and risk him leaving however unlikely it is that he would. Trout would usually cost a ton, but I think his value will take a hit if he declines their offer to re-sign, which means he likely wants out and teams will know that he's all but philly bound as they will pay him whatever he wants and he can hang out with Wentz and the rest of the eagles any time he wants.

I'm not saying he would be traded for cheap, I just think his value won't be as high as it should be cause he either agrees to re-sign or if he doesn't clearly he's leaving that team in 2 years unless of course he says he needs more time to think about what he wants to do but that will just hurt his team even more if he say waits till next off-season since he'll have only a year left on his deal.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think realistically Harper lands in Anaheim.

They can afford it. They are trying to take share from Dodgers. Putting him next to Trout may be the best duo in 70 years or so. And Boras is stationed in Newport. It makes sense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think realistically Harper lands in Anaheim.

They can afford it. They are trying to take share from Dodgers. Putting him next to Trout may be the best duo in 70 years or so. And Boras is stationed in Newport. It makes sense.

If Trout doesn’t re-sign though you’re basically in the place he is currently if you’re Harper. A star player wasted on a team going really no where.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
If Trout doesn’t re-sign though you’re basically in the place he is currently if you’re Harper. A star player wasted on a team going really no where.

Yeah, but that's a hell of a bargaining chip for Trout when his contract is up. Also, rumor is that he wants 14 years (up until his 40th), and if that's the case, its gonna take an AL team

I just think its ultimately where he goes. If we can get Harper and put Rhys at first, life would be a lot better.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, but that's a hell of a bargaining chip for Trout when his contract is up. Also, rumor is that he wants 14 years (up until his 40th), and if that's the case, its gonna take an AL team

I just think its ultimately where he goes. If we can get Harper and put Rhys at first, life would be a lot better.

It’s still a gamble on Harper’s side with a lot of downside. There probably isn’t going to be a resolution one way or another for Trout any time in the near future.

I don’t think it’s necessarily term that long that he’s going to be fixated on. He’s probably going to get 10 years at the minimum. I think it’s more about getting an average annual salary in the $40-50M range than that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Listening to The Good Phight podcast, they (John and Liz) don't think Trout wants to even come to the East Coast.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think you'd have to give up one of Nola/Hoskins as I doubt they would give up one of them for 2 years of Trout. I know that if they traded for him he likely re-signs but you can't trade one of them and risk him leaving however unlikely it is that he would. Trout would usually cost a ton, but I think his value will take a hit if he declines their offer to re-sign, which means he likely wants out and teams will know that he's all but philly bound as they will pay him whatever he wants and he can hang out with Wentz and the rest of the eagles any time he wants.

I'm not saying he would be traded for cheap, I just think his value won't be as high as it should be cause he either agrees to re-sign or if he doesn't clearly he's leaving that team in 2 years unless of course he says he needs more time to think about what he wants to do but that will just hurt his team even more if he say waits till next off-season since he'll have only a year left on his deal.
Kiley McDaniel ranked the top 50 players by trade value recently and Trout still came in 4th. You trade for him, you're getting +20 wins for the rest of his contract. He's the GOAT. To get a player that high on the list you have to give up a ton. He ranked Nola 21, Hoskins 34, and Odubel 43 (before he tanked). You have to give up at least one of them and I'm not sure Odubel's getting it done at this point no matter what you are adding for him. They aren't going to trade him for all futures. There is going to be a legit Big Leaguer in any possible package.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Kiley McDaniel ranked the top 50 players by trade value recently and Trout still came in 4th. You trade for him, you're getting +20 wins for the rest of his contract. He's the GOAT. To get a player that high on the list you have to give up a ton. He ranked Nola 21, Hoskins 34, and Odubel 43 (before he tanked). You have to give up at least one of them and I'm not sure Odubel's getting it done at this point no matter what you are adding for him. They aren't going to trade him for all futures. There is going to be a legit Big Leaguer in any possible package.

Do you remember who the top three were?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

well we'll find out this off-season what happens. I could see having to give up a lot but the problem that I don't think gets factor in is GM's will know if he turns down that offer that unless his agent says he's not interested in philly that he's likely going there in 2 years. So of course it will take a lot to get such a great player but I don't think teams at least in the phillies position would give up a Hoskins or Nola for 2 years. Herrera, CH, Franco, Alfaro, VV, Eflin, Pivetta, Williams, etc... would think it would take several from that list but not Nola/Hoskins imo.

I'm sure the Angels don't want to end up like the O's with Manny where they didn't get much for one of the best players in baseball, but until we hear what Trout wants to do we can only speculate what it would cost. But if he doesn't re-sign this off-season wow is that going to make a crazy off-season that much crazier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad