OT: 2018 Phillies: Part trey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
signing Harper wouldn't be awful...think he'd easily hit 40+ here ..but i am concerned with that BA and the high strikeout total..but add him and a pitcher..which we could use...
Id understand the concern. He hasn't lived up to his potential and the contract involved would be enormous, but his career wRC+ is 140 and his lowest in his career has been 115. They need a bat like his.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Id rather use that cash to go after Trout instead. Try to move Santana to eat that awful Pujols contract? Unlikely, but I can dream.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Trout is a free agent in two years. Where the team is at you can’t really sit back and wait for him as great as the story would be. You have to take advantage of Hoskins, Nola, Herrera, and others on cheap contracts. Two big fish on the market this winter. Have to strike while the iron is hot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trout is a free agent in two years. Where the team is at you can’t really sit back and wait for him as great as the story would be. You have to take advantage of Hoskins, Nola, Herrera, and others on cheap contracts. Two big fish on the market this winter. Have to strike while the iron is hot.

Meh, my suspicion is Klentak will pretend to bid, but drop out when the price becomes unreasonable (if some fool owner wants to grossly overpay).

Ramos should be the priority signing, he can buy you a couple years and mentor Alfaro and Grullon when he comes up. Not sure he can carry a full load, but with Alfaro as his backup, he wouldn't have to. Might not cost too much b/c teams will worry about his durability, but would have a lot of value for 100 games.

Nick Williams is only 24, since May 1, .280/.346/.486/.832. His splits suggests a RH RF might be the best value if Altherr can't bounce back.
You have Haseley and Moniak, both LH OF who are plus defensively behind him at Lehigh and Reading next year, along with Cozens.
You have Roman Quinn, switch hitting speedster.
Not sure Harper is much of an upgrade, his defense is slipping as he gets nicked up, his offense is inconsistent, only worth it if the price is right.

I don't think Machado is interested in coming to Philly, some players want the media attention and the money is going to be similar (and endorsement potential higher in NY or LA). When salaries get that high, money is rarely the decision maker.

SPs make no sense with our five plus Eickhoff, Lively, Suarez, De Los Santos, Irvin, Romero, Sixto lined up behind them.
Given the depth and quality of our bullpen, why overpay for a RP when they're all head cases?

Cabrera just doesn't have the range for SS anymore and was shaky at 2B. Good bench option at the right price.

So give me Ramos, a veteran RH RF, and see who else is available.
I mean it looks like this team is going to win 90 games, with few aging players and help on the way in the farm system.
So no need to make panic moves.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except we have three solid young starters with far better stuff, all are climbing the learning curve, but have the potential to be shutdown guys in the playoffs if things click. Klentak is trying to balance short- and long-term considerations (or why he only gave up one legitimate prospect in garnering Ramos, Cabrera and Bour).

Cole's FIP has risen five straight seasons, he's near the end, four good starts in a new league doesn't reverse a long-term trend.
Both his 2 and 4 seamers are getting pounded this year, although he's maintained his 92 MPH velocity, he's living off his cutter, changeup and curve.
He's had a little uptick since coming over, but I'm dubious its sustainable.
If the Phillies were thin (like say in 2008), Hamels would have been a good pickup, but not for this staff.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I honestly want to know what the price would be because I had this conversation with people before. I'd rather go after him than sign Harper. If you're throwing around that kind of money, it usually drives down the price in prospects, but getting Trout wouldn't be a usual trade. You also have young cheap roster talent you could include.

I know Harper is free in terms of assets but I think there's a definite gap between him and Trout.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I honestly want to know what the price would be because I had this conversation with people before. I'd rather go after him than sign Harper. If you're throwing around that kind of money, it usually drives down the price in prospects, but getting Trout wouldn't be a usual trade. You also have young cheap roster talent you could include.

I know Harper is free in terms of assets but I think there's a definite gap between him and Trout.
He’s the best player in baseball. It would still cost a ton. Assuming Nola is off the table, probably something like Hoskins, Herrera, Sixto.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why are fans always in a rush?
When I look at teams that get close, then collapse, it's usually b/c the FO panics, tries to make the one big deal/signing to get over the top, and abandon the vision and discipline that allowed them to build a contender.

This is a solid team that should improve, if the right opportunity comes along at the right price, jump on it - but no one player is going to put them over the top.
Arrieta is a good example, Klentak played it cool and got him for the right price at the right term, the same way Ron got JVR for 5 instead of 7 years without a NMC. Klentak overpaid for Santana and Hunter because he had the short-term cap room and it was only the owner's money.

Klentak, like Ron, shouldn't look at this offseason as one where he MUST make a move, rather one where he has the resources to make the RIGHT move.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He’s the best player in baseball. It would still cost a ton. Assuming Nola is off the table, probably something like Hoskins, Herrera, Sixto.

To get Trout with two years left, Hoskins, Moniak, Sixto and probably two more top 20 prospects.
Herrera won't move the needle.
I'd rather wait, as he gets closer to FA, the price will come down, and if the Phillies are winning, they can wait two years.
It's not worth trading for him and stripping the team unless he wants to sign here, and keeping the team intact is one factor in getting him to sign here.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
deGrom is borderline unhittable and part of me can't really figure out how, I'm not saying his stuff isn't good, just seems deceptive or something, outside of his 97 mph fastball.

His changeup is pretty stupid

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Hoskins, Alfaro, Franco all stealing bases now!!?? someone explain this madness

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
signing Harper wouldn't be awful...think he'd easily hit 40+ here ..but i am concerned with that BA and the high strikeout total..but add him and a pitcher..which we could use...

Harper even with his terrible BA this year has a .902 OPS

Reactions: trostol

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
deGrom is borderline unhittable and part of me can't really figure out how, I'm not saying his stuff isn't good, just seems deceptive or something, outside of his 97 mph fastball.

His changeup is pretty stupid
His control is awesome. Couple that with 98 and this is what can happen.

Bour should have started, this isn't hindsight.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
His control is awesome. Couple that with 98 and this is what can happen.

Bour should have started, this isn't hindsight.

I'm sure Bour will get atleast 1 chance, deGrom isn't going anywhere today, he'll throw a complete game most likely.

Reactions: trostol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad