Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He won't make any serious money, but teams have scouts, and they know he's fast with potential, and plays C. He'd instantly be the fastest player on a handful of teams.

Montreal should take a flyer on him, which of course means they'll go sign some boom or bust winger and hope he can be their 1C.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He won't make any serious money, but teams have scouts, and they know he's fast with potential, and plays C. He'd instantly be the fastest player on a handful of teams.

Montreal should take a flyer on him, which of course means they'll go sign some boom or bust winger and hope he can be their 1C.

Yeah if anything he'd be signed as a depth center which he would be on a lot of teams, JAM wasn't signed as a 1st liner either, he was a 3rd line LW who got moved up due to injuries and took off.

Peca would be a very good fit in Pittsburgh with their needs, his play style and cost, lets hope they haven't been scouting.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, but it does seem like his goal-scoring has declined. His playmaking has improved, but he's still not a guy who makes his linemates better. I don't think he's finding a new niche, sadly. I think it's more like he's now a good player who's unlikely to be a great player again.

Reactions: Kusic

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Hmmmmm

Sing Tavares, trade Kuch? Tavares doesn’t cost assets, except money. Kuch saves Tampa money compared to Tavares, but only for one more year. Imagine the picks and cheap young talent Kuch would fetch.

Not all that crazy, but only if Stammer sings off on playing on the wing again or be a matchup nightmare as a 3rd line C.

Not likely, but actually.....feasible.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seven seasons and two major knee injuries ago.

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. I don't think he has it in him to be a big goal-scorer anymore. I'm not saying it's his fault. It's just reality. And with his assists, I do think his playmaking has improved, but I don't think it's anywhere close to elite-level. I still don't see him making the guys around him better in that regard. I just think he's a very good, but not elite, player at this point, despite the occasional flash of elite play to get our hopes up.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
My biggest fear is that certain names on the roster who haven't been producing are going to stay because they're "good in the room", which is great and locker room continuity is very important, but at some point you have to score a few ****ing goals to win some games.
And should we move Tyler Johnson before July 1st before we are stuck with his cap hit for 6 more years ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah, but it does seem like his goal-scoring has declined. His playmaking has improved, but he's still not a guy who makes his linemates better. I don't think he's finding a new niche, sadly. I think it's more like he's now a good player who's unlikely to be a great player again.
How many points would stamkos have really had if say kucherov was not on this team last season or out the whole season ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My biggest fear is that certain names on the roster who haven't been producing are going to stay because they're "good in the room", which is great and locker room continuity is very important, but at some point you have to score a few ****ing goals to win some games.

What names do you speak of? The only one not producing compared to their contract is Callahan. Killorn makes 4.45 and is a 45 point player, Johnson 5 and is a 50 point player, Palat 5.3 and just over a 50 point player. I wouldn't have a problem if we traded any of them for the right return but they are producing compared to contract. On defense it's hard to use pure points to caphit to see if they're producing but I think we are getting decent returns on the money with that group.

Reactions: Maelmoor

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Everything being so quiet either means that something is going to happen shortly or there really is absolutely nothing Yzerman is going to do. Long periods of radio silence has little to no in between for the Lightning. The only conclusion I can reasonably draw from no trades by draft day is that we are all but eliminated from free agency. That we are going to literally have the same exact team that couldn't win a championship minus maybe Sustr and Kunitz and the best we can hope for is a Syracuse call up. We've got $7 million in cap space and still to sign Erne, Koekkoek, Paquette and Miller. It's highly probable that Miller is gonna chew up well over half of that.

The more time I spend thinking about this the more convinced I am we are going to fall into our usual holding pattern of "stick with the core that falls dead every time we're deep in the playoffs" and I am NOT happy about that idea at all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Everything being so quiet either means that something is going to happen shortly or there really is absolutely nothing Yzerman is going to do. Long periods of radio silence has little to no in between for the Lightning. The only conclusion I can reasonably draw from no trades by draft day is that we are all but eliminated from free agency. That we are going to literally have the same exact team that couldn't win a championship minus maybe Sustr and Kunitz and the best we can hope for is a Syracuse call up. We've got $7 million in cap space and still to sign Erne, Koekkoek, Paquette and Miller. It's highly probable that Miller is gonna chew up well over half of that.

The more time I spend thinking about this the more convinced I am we are going to fall into our usual holding pattern of "stick with the core that falls dead every time we're deep in the playoffs" and I am NOT happy about that idea at all.

Very astute observation.

Guys we need major, major roster changes because we were 1 game away from the SCF.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's gonna be hard to evaluate our D until we see them under Bowness's replacement.

I'd have to look up who it was but whoever Bill Peters had running his D in Carolina had a tremendous PK philosophy. They were outstanding for years because they constantly spread out and attacked the cycle. Depending on who they were facing, anyone who stood still against Carolina for longer than a few seconds was gonna have to deal with the play being disrupted. The Canes were disciplined and didn't over-commit too much. When they could afford to they'd hurry whoever had the puck and would read the play next where the puck was going. By then the next guy is already starting to pressure whoever received the pass. In a few seconds then the first player who committed was back in position. It wasn't perfect but it was very aggressive and the contrast to Bowness' PK was heads and tails. The new NHL is speed, speed, speed and simply too fast for that style now. Meanwhile Bowness had us well positioned ready to block shots and take some passing lanes but we seldom forced mistakes unless it was someone like Johnson pressuring the point man and he'd get a short handed chance.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wouldn't mind moving Killorn, Johnson, Paquette, Coburn. But the problem is who will take them. Johnson has some value around the league, but the other three not so much. For the price, Johnson and Killorn are right around the correct $ value. The term kind of sucks, but if they consistently put those numbers up for their contracts, its not bad. The problem is if players get complacent. We are seeing that with Johnson and Killorn. Well pretty much everyone on the team really.

I wonder what it would take from St.Louis to pry away Edmundson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad