2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I dont think Washington wants out of his contract, and there are other moves they can make, but I am open to acquiring someone like Holtby. I think the problem is that off the top of my head, you're going to have Carolina, Flyers, Blues and Isles all interested. Then some teams like Avalanche, Panthers, Sabres, and potentially Flames all interested as well depending on how those teams feel about their current setup and or direction. Holtby would be an ideal gap, but I sont think jes going to come as cheap as a lot of people think.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the rest of this post.
That's fair. There will be a lot of teams in the mix for him.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
I don't post too often but without getting into potential FA signings or draft picks from 2018 stepping right into the team, I think there are a few things that will definitely happen with the roster and then a few tossed about these boards that might happen.

Just looking at our upcoming FAs I don't see Filppula or Read being brought back. They could resign Leier as an RFA but that has more of an implication on the Phantoms and our injury call-up depth if anything. On D, Oduya is gone and then it's where it gets tricky. In goal, Mrazek is gone.

So now the maybes. I think the biggest obviously is Simmonds. It will be interesting to see when the season ends if he has been playing through some sort of injury. He has a NTC and only has one more year left on his deal, but I don't think it can be discounted what he means to the locker room. Obviously we have seen some bigger names shipped out of here before, but I do think Simmonds is a little different. Personally, I would love to see him traded for perhaps a pick and a depth defenseman but at this point based on his play and considering how little term he has left on his contract I don't know if he would yield that much. A buyout of Lehtera is an obvious decision as an armchair GM but I don't know if it's something that Hextall actually pulls the trigger on. On defense, I would love to believe this organization moves on from Manning as a UFA. This is where a depth defenseman from a Simmonds trade could step in and then obviously there is competition with the prospects that we do have. I believe Hagg is re-upped as an RFA, unless he could be spun to a team looking for a young defenseman. Don't think his return would be big and I think at this point I would rather see him stay. I personally, unfortunately in the opinion of many on here, don't think anything is done at the goaltending position. Neuvirth and Elliott both have one year left on their deals. If one gets hurt maybe there is room for Stolarz to come up or for Lyon to take a more prominent role, should either or both be re-upped. I just don't think it is worth using assets to maybe upgrade the position with THE goaltending prospect in Hart as few as two years away. It might be frustrating to think about retreading the same goaltending situation next year but again for me it's just biding time until Hart.

So that leaves 10-12 forwards (Giroux, Voracek, Coots, Weise, Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Patrick, Lindblom, TK) and 6 defensemen (Ghost, Provy, MacD, Gudas, Sanheim, Hagg). Realistically from our prospect pool, I only see Frost or NAK on offense and Morin or Myers on defense competing to be on the roster. Then you can start to consider any FA signing to which Hextall to this point has been hesitant to shell out big money on ... and rightly so IMO until the positions that will be filled with prospects are filled. I think in the ideal my roster to start the season looks something like:

TK-Coots-Giroux
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Frost-FreeAgent
Weal-Laughton-NAK

Ghost-Provy
Sanheim-Gudas
MacD-Morin

If Simmonds is kept then he could slot onto the 3rd line. A long-winded post but just my look on in-house how I think the team might move forward. Obviously there are bigger changes that we would all like to see (starting with the coaching staff (!) but also including a top 6 forward, a goalie perhaps, getting rid of MacD and Weise, etc.) but I just don't get the sense that the change we all want will happen quickly, unfortunately.

I've been just as frustrated, mostly because of the coaching staff's roster management, as many of you have been, especially during these beatdown games against the Pens in the first round, but the fact of the matter is I do believe this team is right there waiting to contend, especially once Hart makes the jump to the NHL. Just take a minute and think how much MORE frustrated we would all be if we hadn't landed 2nd in the lottery and Patrick wasn't in Orange & Black!!! It should be an interesting summer for the Flyers to say the least.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
My offseason list:

1.) Read, Filpulla, Manning, Oduya, and Mrzek all can walk.

2.) Simmonds needs to be traded...priority return a young cost controlled forward.

3.) Upgrade goalie. Keep one and trade the other. Not sure what targets are out there but if Holtby is available he makes a lot of sense. Can hold the fort for 2 years until Hart is ready.

4.) Consider acquiring an impact player. I still say kick the tires on guys like Tavares and Doughty. You never know if the right deal is there to be made and I hate that Hextall doesnt even consider it. Either of those guys would be franchise changing.

5.) If cant be achieved, need to upgrade 3rd line. I still like Neiderreitter as a target. Hes a great 5 on 5 guy which is what we need. Guy returned in a Simmomds deal could factor in as well. Maybe sign a guy like Riley Nash short term.

6.) Trade bait for above would be: Weal, Hagg, 1sts, Simmonds.

7.) Try to find a taker for Amac, Weise, and Lethera

8.) Fill remaining holes from in the system.

9.) Resign TK and Prov.

Assuming 4 doesnt happen...my hopeful realistic line up:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
Xxxxxx-Laughton-Niederreiter
Raffl-Vorobyov-Aube-Kube
Leier
Weise

XXXXX = forward from simmonds trade.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Amac
Hagg

Holtby
Elliott
Stolarz

Holby acquired with st louis 1st and Elliot.

Nino acquired with Weal, picks, lesser prospect

Reactions: tucson83

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It really is interesting to see how Simmonds went from a core player to he is my favorite flyer but his next contract might hurt to just get rid of him category.

As long as we sign Tavares I don't care what we do. He would be the best forward we add ever since Trevor Lewis slipped our hands in 2007.

But going off by hexys history I don't expect anything to be done. Maybe minor signing or two.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It really is interesting to see how Simmonds went from a core player to he is my favorite flyer but his next contract might hurt to just get rid of him category.

As long as we sign Tavares I don't care what we do. He would be the best forward we add ever since Trevor Lewis slipped our hands in 2007.

But going off by hexys history I don't expect anything to be done. Maybe minor signing or two.

Why are we adding an 11 million dollar center again, when we have Couturier Patrick and the potential of Frost?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Why are we adding an 11 million dollar center again, when we have Couturier Patrick and the potential of Frost?

Because having Tavares, Couts, and Patrick down the middle would give us one of the best 1-2-3 center punches in the league and make us a cup contender.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Anyone would do that trade for ROR. That's not what it would cost. It would be something -- even a couple things -- you REALLY don't want to part with. Because some more desperate team in need of a top 6 center will part with it, and ROR's value on reputation is high.

Also, he's a 70 point center like Simmonds is a 70 point winger.

I was replying to a previous post suggesting that a top 10 pick is too much for ROR. I disagree and would do the 14th + in a heartbeat.

I guess you’re critiquing my calling him a 70 point player, so let’s call him 60+. Not sure what the relevance is to Simmonds, as ROR is a complete player who’s production has been consistent while Simmonds has declined

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not crazy about giving any FA anything over 2-3 years. I’d rather not get anything unless we need a 3C. I don’t knowneneough about voro to say he’s not the answer there. If he’s not, then we need a 3C. That can skate and apply pressure.

Otherwise, promote the kids to D and hopefully stolarz as the backup and trade/don’t resign the rest. Pretty easy.

I would like to trade Simmonds. I think we can get a first plus now. I don’t think we are getting a first plus a top prospect like it was looking earlier. If the offers are really bad maybe just trade him in season as he’s likely to rebound next year.

I would certainly listen to offers on jake. He obviously produces but he’s a turnover machine and makes so many dumb plays. If we can get someone who fits better on the pp and second line that’s young I would go for it. We’d have plenty of cap to use on a FA that could supplement that persons shortcomings and end up with more depth and better fits. I’m not sure that happens though.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I dont think Washington wants out of his contract, and there are other moves they can make, but I am open to acquiring someone like Holtby. I think the problem is that off the top of my head, you're going to have Carolina, Flyers, Blues and Isles all interested. Then some teams like Avalanche, Panthers, Sabres, and potentially Flames all interested as well depending on how those teams feel about their current setup and or direction. Holtby would be an ideal gap, but I sont think jes going to come as cheap as a lot of people think.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the rest of this post.
As for a Caps fans, admittedly unsolicited, opinion, the chasm between Holtby and Elliot isn't bridged by a late-1st and a prayer Prospect. And compared to other Top 10 goalies Holtby's contract is a non issue.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1. Work a deal based around Simmonds and Jeff Skinner. I think it could work out actually. Both guy still have a year left on their current contract. Simmonds gives Carolina some much needed size and net front presence in their top six. Skinner injects speed and even strength goal scoring into the Flyers' top six.

2. Make a deal to get Holtby here.

3. Fire Hakstol. That's a given. Hextall has to conduct an actual coaching search, and not just hire the guy that coached his son ten years ago. The good news: they should be an attractive destination between the talent already on the roster and the prospect pipeline.

4. Let Manning, Mrazek, and Filppula walk. Buy out Lehtera or Weise. Keep the other as the 13th forward.

Next year:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Skinner-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Raffl
Laughton-Vorobyov-Weal/NAK

Ghost-Provorov
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-MacDonald/Myers

My point on Ratcliffe is he has tremendous upside, you don't move prospects like that to win now.
Hakstol isn't going to be fired, so just move on.

While Skinner has talent, that wouldn't be a good line, who's gonna do the dirty work? Skinner with Frost and Raffl would make more sense.
Question is whether Frost and Vorobyev are ready, this summer that's still a question mark, so I'd be looking for a young C/LW type instead of Skinner, or pick up a veteran C on a 1-2 year deal. I doubt Carolina would trade Skinner for Simmons straight up, we'd have to throw in a top prospect or high draft pick. With the talent we have coming up, Ron won't want to pay big money to keep Skinner from free agency (he's not the ideal Flyer forward).

Holtby will have to wait on the Caps playoff, he's playing well, and if he bounces back and takes them deep, forget about him.
We can handle his contract, but if he fails in the playoffs, don't overpay in assets for a slight upgrade.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because having Tavares, Couts, and Patrick down the middle would give us one of the best 1-2-3 center punches in the league and make us a cup contender.

No it doesnt, because we still have no wingers to put the puck away. It also utterly destroys the cap structure of the team moving forward.

While were at it, let's just put Holmgren back in charge. At least than the aesthetics are right

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As for a Caps fans, admittedly unsolicited, opinion, the chasm between Holtby and Elliot isn't bridged by a late-1st and a prayer Prospect. And compared to other Top 10 goalies Holtby's contract is a non issue.

Right. I dont think that price would make it work. If the caps move Holtby -and to me, that's a big if - it's got to be for cheap contributing players as the only reason to move Holtby qould be to lock up Carlson.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We need to either move Laughton to LW or trade him, he's just not a decent NHL center, his one top skill, his forecheck, would be as effective at LW but his defensive responsibilities (and thus screwups) would be reduced.

So it depends on Ron's opinion of Frost and Vorobyev, if they're not ready we need to replace Filppula with a veteran - but since Couts and Patrick will probably play 40 minutes a night, it doesn't have to be a top player. In this case, you could make MV or Bardreau the 4th center (Hextall really likes this kid) while Vorobyev marinates. 2019 Frost and Vorobyev are a high probability to be starting at center, so we're talking one year patches.

Raffl - ???/Frost - Simmonds? (trade/FA)
Laughton - Vorobyev/MV/Bardreau - NAK
Knight, MV as your depth
Filppula, Lehtera, Read, Weise, Weal, Leier gone with the wind

The bottom six will still struggle to score in 2018-19, but a couple of these guys should be solid PKs and as a whole, they should be faster and more aggressive on the forecheck, and hopefully can match against scoring lines to take defensive pressure off the top two lines.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Just my take on things and what I'd like to see:

Needs: Third line center, entirely new fourth line, more youth to the defense, stability in the nets until one of the big three are ready

Replacements internally: Samuel Morin, Nicholas Aube-Kubel, Dannick Martel

Available pieces to move: Wayne Simmonds, Andrew MacDonald, Robert Hagg

Let them walk: Valteri Filppula, Brandon Manning, Petr Mrazek, Matt Read

Buy out: Jori Lehtera

So, right off the bat, it's time to end the Andrew MacDonald experiment. The fans can see that he offers nothing to the club. Veteran presence? Come on. Gudas, Provorov and Gostisbehere now offer that. There is absolutely no reason to keep him around anymore. Eat 40% of his contract and move him for picks. That's it. Just get that bloated contract and dead weight off the books.

In terms of Simmonds, you're looking at a guy who's averaged 29 goals and 53 points a year since arriving in Philadelphia. What's his value? I'd have to think that a young roster player and a blue chip prospect should be the asking price.

Finally, I get that Robert Hagg is a young defender, but with Gostisbehere and Gudas playing the right side, he just doesn't fit into the middle or bottom role. I'd move him, especially because he does nothing significant on the blue line. Yes he's a good skater. Yes, he's physical. And every now and again, he does something that catches your eye. But more often than not, he's nothing to write home about. Once again, draft picks are what I'd look for.

So, in terms of filling out the roster, I think it's safe to say that the top six is solidified. So, we know that Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Lindblom, Patrick and Voracek should be the top six. With Valteri Fillpula and Simmonds out of the lineup, I'd look at moving Laughton to the left side, signing Riley Nash from Boston to be the center and then putting Aube-Kubel on the right side.

As for the fourth line, Dannick Martel goes to the left side, sign Mark Letestu to be the center and Michael Raffl goes to the right side.

So, internal replacements are Martel and Aube-Kubel and then the signings are Nash and Letestu.

The forwards then shape up as follows:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Nash - Aube-Kubel
Martel - Letestu - Raffl

In terms of the defense, after letting Manning walk and moving MacDonald and Hagg, we're left with Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim and Gudas. Split the Provorov/Gostisbehere pairing. Instead, pair Gostisbehere with Sam Morin and pair Sanheim and Gudas together (with the understanding that Gudas will be the defensive cog on the line and that he won't need to do any heavy lifting offensively - his job is simply to get the puck to Sanheim). As for Provorov, he's the top dog, but he needs a guy to pair along side him. John Carlson would normally be the guy I'd target, but you know he's going to get a 7 year deal at $8 million plus a year, so he's out of the question. As for Mike Green, I want no part of him. Right now, the two guys I'd like to see the Flyers target, even though they're RFAs are either Cody Ceci or Ryan Pulock. Ceci is a minutes eater and I'm not going to hold that horrible plus/minus stat against him because Ottawa was a dumpster fire. He'd be the guy I'd look at targeting first. This is where I'd flip the Simmonds acquisitions for him. I think he'd be a good fit along side Provorov. You're also getting a young veteran as well. So, the defense now shapes up as:

Provorov - Ceci
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Gudas

Finally, in terms of goaltending, Mrazek and Neuvirth are gone. Mrazek is just too wildly inconsistent and just doesn't grasp the concept of less is more. As for Neuvirth, he's so brittle that he simply can't be relied upon. Let him be someone else's problem going forward. As for replacements, it's pretty much bottom of the barrel scraping, but if Colorado lets him walk, Jonathan Bernier should be the guy the Flyers target. So, the Flyers goaltending now is Elliott and Bernier going forward for a few years. It gives some breathing room and no need to rush any one of Hart/Sandstrom/Ustimenko.

Elliott/Bernier

This is just my hope for the off-season. Sorry for the long windedness.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
My point on Ratcliffe is he has tremendous upside, you don't move prospects like that to win now.
Hakstol isn't going to be fired, so just move on.

While Skinner has talent, that wouldn't be a good line, who's gonna do the dirty work? Skinner with Frost and Raffl would make more sense.
Question is whether Frost and Vorobyev are ready, this summer that's still a question mark, so I'd be looking for a young C/LW type instead of Skinner, or pick up a veteran C on a 1-2 year deal. I doubt Carolina would trade Skinner for Simmons straight up, we'd have to throw in a top prospect or high draft pick. With the talent we have coming up, Ron won't want to pay big money to keep Skinner from free agency (he's not the ideal Flyer forward).

Holtby will have to wait on the Caps playoff, he's playing well, and if he bounces back and takes them deep, forget about him.
We can handle his contract, but if he fails in the playoffs, don't overpay in assets for a slight upgrade.
It's not about win now, dude. It's about putting actual NHL talent around the younger players to help facilitate their growth. Both Holtby and Skinner are young enough that they can be a part of the turn roster around AND hopefully the eventual cup run a couple of years down the road. Neither are going to cost significant assets (i.e. a Provorov/Patrick level prospect or a top ten pick).

I don't know why you have this hard line stance on not making any roster improvements this offseason. It's not even like you think they're still 5 years away. You've drawn your line in the sand at 2019-2020. You're calling for the same types of moves to be made next offseason.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If the Caps want to re-sign Carlson then they will likely have to move Holtby. Other teams knowing that reduces what they will return in a trade.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Nash - Aube-Kubel
Martel - Letestu - Raffl

Provorov - Ceci
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Gudas

Elliott/Bernier

This is just my hope for the off-season. Sorry for the long windedness.

That? We have like a trillion in cap space, and you wrote a thousand words about how you want that?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
That? We have like a trillion in cap space, and you wrote a thousand words about how you want that?

It's not like the Flyers need much. With the prospects we have coming through the pipeline, it makes zero sense to blow loads of cap space. Don't forget, there's going to be contract extensions needed for Provorov and Konecny and that's not going to be cheap either. Everything is all about maintaining salary flexibility. We all saw how bad of shape the team got into when they had no flexibility. It also makes no sense in blocking spots for when guys like Frost, Allison, Ratcliffe, Hart, etc...are going to be ready. That's why I went cheap. Keep cap flexibility, ensure spots aren't blocked for when guys are ready.

I get everyone wants to go spend happy this off-season. I've been a fan of the club for nearly 40 years and going salary cap crazy doesn't work. Identify your core, add your supporting cast around the core, and use free agency as a means to plug spots that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Reactions: JPS

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's not like the Flyers need much. With the prospects we have coming through the pipeline, it makes zero sense to blow loads of cap space. Don't forget, there's going to be contract extensions needed for Provorov and Konecny and that's not going to be cheap either. Everything is all about maintaining salary flexibility. We all saw how bad of shape the team got into when they had no flexibility. It also makes no sense in blocking spots for when guys like Frost, Allison, Ratcliffe, Hart, etc...are going to be ready. That's why I went cheap. Keep cap flexibility, ensure spots aren't blocked for when guys are ready.

I get everyone wants to go spend happy this off-season. I've been a fan of the club for nearly 40 years and going salary cap crazy doesn't work. Identify your core, add your supporting cast around the core, and use free agency as a means to plug spots that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I know, but what you posted is, at best, an infinitesimal improvement over the depth-starved struggleshow we have now.

(Also, I get that everyone thinks that the better players on their AHL affiliate slot naturally into NHL bottom 6 roles, and they do, if you want to keep sucking. If we're trying to win more games and take the burden off the top 2 lines, Laughton - Nash - Aube-Kubel, Martel - Letestu - Raffl is not the way to do that. Hideous.)

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
God no to Cody Ceci. We have enough guys that get hemmed in their own zone way too much in MacDonald & Hagg.

I'd take a chance on Ceci. I think playing in his hometown has been a detriment to his career so far and more than anything, a fresh start is needed. I'm a hometown Ottawa person as well and I can tell you that the Senators have done Ceci no favours in terms of his development or what's been expected of him. They've used him on the left side. They've used him on the right side. They've used him in an offensive role. They've used him as a shut down guy. There's been zero consistency with what the Senators wanted from him. Let him come to Philadelphia, he gets to settle down and just play. He's got size, he's got skill, he can skate and he's smart. I just think Ottawa is a BAD fit for Ceci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad