2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Imagine all of Thornton, Tavares, kovy and Carlson wait until tdl and then sign with flyers after we bank 30 million of capspace.
G Couts Kony
Kovy Patrick Voracek
Tavares Thornton Simmonds
Lindblom Lehtera Weise

Provy Ghost
MacDonald Carlson
Manning Gudas
Sanheim

Elliott
Neuvirth

Good luck stopping that.

Better luck getting it to ever happen.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What do you mean by Frost plays a "peculiar game"? Don't get to watch him very often.

Just that if people imagine him burning down the wing like Konecny, they're mistaken. He's ridiculously patient controlling the play down the middle and sees the ice so well from there. I've always said his game is about probing defenses and space creating more than straight attacking them himself with the puck, like a winger would, though he can basically do whatever he wants toying with the OHL now.

And he might have elite speed, but he doesn't use it as often as he could to straight fly by guys (and he might have to in the NHL, even at center, because you can't afford to not use your strengths to the fullest). He's more about gear changes and complete body control and weave ability than straight line. He also works better in space in the o-zone than stops/starts along the boards. Because of his size+skating, most people see no issue with him at wing, but he truly plays about as center as it gets, and you want the puck in his hands in all 3 zones. That said, I'd bet he could figure it out. But I've only seen him play wing once, and it was in the Canada-Russia Super Series this season. Didn't really look comfortable, but he also barely played.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Giroux is mediocre and Patrick will be better than Tavares."

lsdgif.gif

Never said Giroux is mediocre, just that he's no longer a franchise player - big difference.

Patrick will be better than Tavares, he's got better defensive instincts, when he fills out he'll be bigger and stronger, and he has great hands and probably skates as well or better.

People overrate scoring and underrate two way players, or why Couts never got the respect he deserved until this season.

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
Never said Giroux is mediocre, just that he's no longer a franchise player - big difference.

Patrick will be better than Tavares, he's got better defensive instincts, when he fills out he'll be bigger and stronger, and he has great hands and probably skates as well or better.

People overrate scoring and underrate two way players, or why Couts never got the respect he deserved until this season.

Okay do what constitutes as a franchise player to you? Because over his last 5 seasons he is anging averaging 0.91 pp/82 games played. While being above average defensively. That includes a season where 90% of people wrote him off with 58 points. How many NHL players average a ppg over 5 years? I guarantee ALL of them are franchise players. He is the most under rated flyer off all time. This is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Charlie coyle might be an interesting player to go after. Rumors before we almost traded Mason for him when the Wild desperately needed a goalie. Might be something worth revisiting to see his price.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Okay do what constitutes as a franchise player to you? Because over his last 5 seasons he is anging averaging 0.91 pp/82 games played. While being above average defensively. That includes a season where 90% of people wrote him off with 58 points. How many NHL players average a ppg over 5 years? I guarantee ALL of them are franchise players. He is the most under rated flyer off all time. This is getting ridiculous.

You want a franchise player? Look at Crosby.
Heck, Giroux isn't the best player on his own team, Couts is better. Patrick will be in a year or two.
And going forward, you can't build around Giroux at 30.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
With the minimum projected increase in the Salary Cap ($3M) + Cap Savings from allowing Jay Beagle ($1.75M) and one of Kempny/Jerabek (~$900K) to walk and a smaller trade (say Grubauer $1.5M) the Caps would have as much as (~$7M, say $4M to Carlson 1-1.5M for Wilson and fill out the remainder with league-minimum earners) to spend towards the Cap and no notable FAs besides Carlson and Tom Wilson and no other notable roster changes to a roster that competed this season with a $75M Salary Cap. The Caps Salary Cap issues have been dramatically overstated and the uptick in the Cap provides a lot of flexibility.

Long story short. The Caps don't have to trade Holtby to retain Carlson. They certainly aren't going to trade Holtby at a loss to do so.

Are you saying Carlson is going to get 4 million? I don’t think Wilson takes 1 million either. I’m not sure what the caps cap deal is but I don’t think those numbers are correct.

I love holtby. I believe Hart and him use the same sports psyc guy so it would fit well too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are you saying Carlson is going to get 4 million? I don’t think Wilson takes 1 million either. I’m not sure what the caps cap deal is but I don’t think those numbers are correct.

I love holtby. I believe Hart and him use the same sports psyc guy so it would fit well too.

I think he means raises

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Those are both raises from their current #s. Putting Carlson at $8M and Wilson at $3M (arbitration ineligible RFA).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You want a franchise player? Look at Crosby.
Heck, Giroux isn't the best player on his own team, Couts is better. Patrick will be in a year or two.
And going forward, you can't build around Giroux at 30.

Crosby is a generational player, Not franchise. Why, that's like comparing a 1C like.. Turris to Giroux.

The disingenuous-ness continues.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Im no pro scout, but I cant imagine being this bad at talent evaluation.

Meanwhile, in the fire Hakstol thread well hear about Girouxs career year and good 5v5 stats.

But it's not because Giroux is the best player on the team. Its because of Hakstol, I guess.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Crosby is a generational player, Not franchise. Why, that's like comparing a 1C like.. Turris to Giroux.

For as much as the magic mushrooms cloud his mind and the fallout drifts onto here, I want to remind everyone who the true enemy is. **** Crosby. He is a generational typhoon****. **** him and everyone associated with him and everyone who can even tolerate sharing a planet with him without puking every time they think about it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Im no pro scout, but I cant imagine being this bad at talent evaluation.

Meanwhile, in the fire Hakstol thread well hear about Girouxs career year and good 5v5 stats.

But it's not because Giroux is the best player on the team. Its because of Hakstol, I guess.

Giroux's rebound is both health and playing LW with Couts, if he was still at center, he would have had a good but not great season, he's not as quick or fast as he was five or six years ago. He was a dominant player from age 23-26, the falloff began in 2014-15, before he was injured, and injuries tend to become more common as players age. This follows the normal decline curve for hockey players.

Playing LW takes a lot of pressure off him defensively, reduces the amount of skating Giroux has to do, and playing with Couts has helped him the same way it's helped practically every Flyer forward the past three years. But the odds are that this will be his best season going forward.

Giroux will be a solid veteran presence going forward, but Couts, Patrick and Provorov will be the key to winning a Cup.

As far as Patrick, since the All Star break he's scored at a 53 point pace, added by promotion to PP1.
Next year I expect a huge jump from him, he's acclimated to the NHL and will finally be able to train in the offseason.
And Lindblom should be more effective on his LW.
So to me, 40-50 ES points and 70-80 total points is not out of the question.
And given his size, strength, and defensive instincts, he could approach Couts in value.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For as much as the magic mushrooms cloud his mind and the fallout drifts onto here, I want to remind everyone who the true enemy is. **** Crosby. He is a generational typhoon****. **** him and everyone associated with him and everyone who can even tolerate sharing a planet with him without puking every time they think about it.

giphy.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I want Tavares more and more. I didn't realize we were one Sean Couturier getting banged-up incident away from Val Filppula as 1C.

Reactions: Rebels57

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Oh ok haha. Sorry, yes that should be good enough. If you don’t win this year do the caps keep trying as long as they have OV? When is the blow up threshold?
I think the Caps keep trying every year they make the POs. After next season Orpik comes off the books entirely and the team will have some money to re-vamp the D. The problem is Ovi keeps the team good enough to make the POs but in the Cap era it's hard to surround him with the right secondary ingredients to go on a deep run. He also basically single-handedly assures we draft no better than ~12th Overall in our worst season so it's hard to improve through the draft. You just keep trying and hope that one of these seasons the recipe is right. I'd say the Caps re-tool over the next 5 seasons before they completely rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->