2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Why do a lot of people want jumbo Joe. We are getting crushed by a team skating circles around us and we want to get slower?

Speed. Speed speed. Prioritize that in the off season

Because crisp passes are faster than any player.

Thornton speed and Lehterä speed are not the same since one of them know how to play hockey on a pretty high level.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Slava voynov wants to come back to the NHL. I know I know. Not going to debate the crap he did. There were rumors a while ago when that all took place we were close to acquiring his rights.

Honestly I really wouldn’t be surprised if they are mentioned again.

There's probably no chance he can get a visa to return.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Here's some things I'd like to happen for sure:
◾Re-signing of Provorov and Konecny
◾Manning, Oduya and Mrázek's departure
◾Signing of a bottom 6 center
◾Morin's promotion
◾Buyout of Lehtera's contract
◾Demotion of Weise

Also we could sign a 2-way contract with Filppula, cause I wouldn't go all-in on Frost and Laughton. Since Vorobyov 99.9% will spend one more season in LV we need some depth on this position.
I don't see Simmer being traded away but who knows, maybe Hextall is gonna fish for a good deal at draft.

P.S. And for the mother's love hire a good PK-coach!

Reactions: flyersfan187

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Slava voynov wants to come back to the NHL. I know I know. Not going to debate the crap he did. There were rumors a while ago when that all took place we were close to acquiring his rights.

Honestly I really wouldn’t be surprised if they are mentioned again.

No..

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There’s no chance I trade a top 10 pick for ROR. I see buffalo fans thinking they will get that. I don’t think so. I will, like usual, eat crow if I am wrong.

Reactions: Rebels57

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Here's some things I'd like to happen for sure:
◾Re-signing of Provorov and Konecny
◾Manning, Oduya and Mrázek's departure
◾Signing of a bottom 6 center
◾Morin's promotion
◾Buyout of Lehtera's contract
◾Demotion of Weise

P.S. And for the mother's love hire a good PK-coach!

This is mostly what I would like to see as well except I’d be open for a deal for third line center and dman

Hawks fans on the main board have suggested that Anisimov could be had for relatively cheap. I think he would be perfect as a 2 year transition to Frost.

I’ve also seen Flames fans open to trading Brodie and they say he is best on the right side. Maybe they would bite on something around Simmonds. A top four of Provorov-Ghost-Sanheim-Brodie would actually be respectable.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
There’s no chance I trade a top 10 pick for ROR. I see buffalo fans thinking they will get that. I don’t think so. I will, like usual, eat crow if I am wrong.

I’d actually do one of the firsts + Something like Rubtsov or Hagg or Laughton for ROR.

70 point center in his prime, locked up for 5 years, very good defensively and can move to LW when Frost is ready

Reactions: hatcher

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Anyone would do that trade for ROR. That's not what it would cost. It would be something -- even a couple things -- you REALLY don't want to part with. Because some more desperate team in need of a top 6 center will part with it, and ROR's value on reputation is high.

Also, he's a 70 point center like Simmonds is a 70 point winger.

Reactions: Tripod

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Replace bad players with good players.

Amen-brother-gif.gif

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
After Hextall's comments on O'Reilly last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he traded picks/prospects to acquire him and then trade Simmonds to recoup some. He can play wing whenever Frost makes it.

I am not convinced Hextall isn't on the same page as Hakstol with respect to vets. If they are going to overplay vets, you can't have garbage ones.

Hitchcock, known for his lack of confidence in younger players, had this to say something eerily similar to Hextall recently:

Asked why other NHL teams are playing younger players more, Hitchcock said it's because those players have earned their minutes.
"I think you have to earn it," he said. "We haven't been playing some of the young guys because we are trying to win. Some of the young guys you hope they understand what it's like to be an NHL player and be counted on every day and be consistent. I think the biggest thing for me is consistency. The players who are able to grasp that, they survive, and the others fall by the wayside."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
O’Reilly really would be that next-level acquisition. He took one penalty this year and it was concurrent. Just depends if Hextall wants a big number for that long.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After Hextall's comments on O'Reilly last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he traded picks/prospects to acquire him and then trade Simmonds to recoup some. He can play wing whenever Frost makes it.

I am not convinced Hextall isn't on the same page as Hakstol with respect to vets. If they are going to overplay vets, you can't have garbage ones.

Hitchcock, known for his lack of confidence in younger players, had this to say something eerily similar to Hextall recently:

Asked why other NHL teams are playing younger players more, Hitchcock said it's because those players have earned their minutes.
"I think you have to earn it," he said. "We haven't been playing some of the young guys because we are trying to win. Some of the young guys you hope they understand what it's like to be an NHL player and be counted on every day and be consistent. I think the biggest thing for me is consistency. The players who are able to grasp that, they survive, and the others fall by the wayside."

One reason Hextall wants to "marinate" young prospects is the adjustment to the NHL isn't easy.

Everyone wanted to rush Lindblom, well, while he played well when he came up, he was a half second behind, that is, lots of scoring chances, but always just a tad bit off with little results. Then he comes up short in the playoffs.
Does that mean Lindblom won't be a good player?
Nah, he'll probably work out harder this summer, absorb the lessons (things happen faster) and make the necessary adjustments.

Sanheim looks great in open space, but he needs to get stronger, that takes time. He's only 21 and will fill out, hopefully, watching this series will teach him the importance of being able to be physical in his own D-zone.

Dumoulin is a perfect example, 3 years in the AHL, started on the third pair as a rookie at age 24, but 2nd pair by the SC run.
So before y'all freak out about Sanheim and Morin's "slow" development, it's not that unusual.
Not every prospect jumps into the NHL, most need 2-3 years working their way in.

Flyers will be adding waves of prospects the next three years, a few in 2018, a lot more in 2019 and 2020.
As the depth increases, young players will start at the bottom and work their way up the lineup.

Reactions: wufuhimself

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
1. Work a deal based around Simmonds and Jeff Skinner. I think it could work out actually. Both guy still have a year left on their current contract. Simmonds gives Carolina some much needed size and net front presence in their top six. Skinner injects speed and even strength goal scoring into the Flyers' top six.

2. Make a deal to get Holtby here. Hart is still 2-4 years away depending on how he develops. You can't just run a carousel of slop/injury-prone goalies while you wait for the 19 year old to develop in a position that's one of the most difficult to project in pro sports. Holtby is a solid top 15 goalie that will stabilize things back there as they integrate the rest of the youth into the defense. I wouldn't even mind if they extended him on a short term deal to further facilitate Hart's development once he does make it to the big club. Move one of the first rounders this year plus a B level prospect (Friedman, Ratcliffe, etc.) and Elliot (Washington needs a backup and he's cheap for one year). That should get it done from Washington's perspective. They just want out of the contract.

3. Fire Hakstol. That's a given. Hextall has to conduct an actual coaching search, and not just hire the guy that coached his son ten years ago. The good news: they should be an attractive destination between the talent already on the roster and the prospect pipeline.

4. Let Manning, Mrazek, and Filppula walk. Buy out Lehtera or Weise. Keep the other as the 13th forward.

Next year:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Skinner-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Raffl
Laughton-Vorobyov-Weal/NAK

Ghost-Provorov
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-MacDonald/Myers

That's a team that's deeper and faster. They're also carrying a good bit of the youth, but insulating them lesser roles at first and most importantly, a solid goaltender that allows you them to play the game instead of worrying about every scoring chance against. A competent coaching staff makes that a difficult team to play against for any playoff team, with potential to get even better as the kids continue to develop.

There's still room there should a guy like Allison or Laczynski force their way onto the roster by mid-season.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I fail to see how this is relevant to his character at all. He didn't want to go to Toronto. If your work called and said "Hey, we're moving your position to Mexico, have fun", would you just go?
I believe the bigger point is the fact that Farmer and Flip both have “A’s” I don’t care how great they are nothing Amac and or Flip does on the ice or their demeanor say “leader” especially when you have Couts, Provy, TK (fight me), and Jake

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
1. Work a deal based around Simmonds and Jeff Skinner. I think it could work out actually. Both guy still have a year left on their current contract. Simmonds gives Carolina some much needed size and net front presence in their top six. Skinner injects speed and even strength goal scoring into the Flyers' top six.

2. Make a deal to get Holtby here. Hart is still 2-4 years away depending on how he develops. You can't just run a carousel of slop/injury-prone goalies while you wait for the 19 year old to develop in a position that's one of the most difficult to project in pro sports. Holtby is a solid top 15 goalie that will stabilize things back there as they integrate the rest of the youth into the defense. I wouldn't even mind if they extended him on a short term deal to further facilitate Hart's development once he does make it to the big club. Move one of the first rounders this year plus a B level prospect (Friedman, Ratcliffe, etc.) and Elliot (Washington needs a backup and he's cheap for one year). That should get it done from Washington's perspective. They just want out of the contract.

3. Fire Hakstol. That's a given. Hextall has to conduct an actual coaching search, and not just hire the guy that coached his son ten years ago. The good news: they should be an attractive destination between the talent already on the roster and the prospect pipeline.

4. Let Manning, Mrazek, and Filppula walk. Buy out Lehtera or Weise. Keep the other as the 13th forward.

Next year:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Skinner-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Raffl
Laughton-Vorobyov-Weal/NAK

Ghost-Provorov
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-MacDonald/Myers

That's a team that's deeper and faster. They're also carrying a good bit of the youth, but insulating them lesser roles at first and most importantly, a solid goaltender that allows you them to play the game instead of worrying about every scoring chance against. A competent coaching staff makes that a difficult team to play against for any playoff team, with potential to get even better as the kids continue to develop.

There's still room there should a guy like Allison or Laczynski force their way onto the roster by mid-season.

I dont think Washington wants out of his contract, and there are other moves they can make, but I am open to acquiring someone like Holtby. I think the problem is that off the top of my head, you're going to have Carolina, Flyers, Blues and Isles all interested. Then some teams like Avalanche, Panthers, Sabres, and potentially Flames all interested as well depending on how those teams feel about their current setup and or direction. Holtby would be an ideal gap, but I sont think jes going to come as cheap as a lot of people think.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the rest of this post.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I believe the bigger point is the fact that Farmer and Flip both have “A’s” I don’t care how great they are nothing Amac and or Flip does on the ice or their demeanor say “leader” especially when you have Couts, Provy, TK (fight me), and Jake

I wont speak to what happens in the locker room. Filpulla doesnt scream leader to me, but calling him out for not wanting to go to a city he doesnt like just because "OmgMatthews" is asinine.

Also, nothing screams leader to me about Jake either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad