2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
IMO Ottawa will be looking for a high 1st round in the Karlsson deal. They will need to soften the sting of potentially trading away a shot at Jack Hughes

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I do think that if Ghost WAS offered, that might be the best player anyone will offer. And for a team worried about money, adding a 4.5 million Dman locked in for 5 years AND is owed 4.2 million per on average, it would be hard to say no.

Yeah and rather than giving up Sanheim++, it would allow us to keep a majority of our assets. If Hextall believes Sanheim or Myers will turn into a top 3 defenseman, it’s smarter to move Ghost.

With Karlsson and Provorov running the power plays, neither of them should break the bank anytime soon either.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I do think that if Ghost WAS offered, that might be the best player anyone will offer. And for a team worried about money, adding a 4.5 million Dman locked in for 5 years AND is owed 4.2 million per on average, it would be hard to say no.

At this rate, I'm not certain we couldn't trade Ghost and a decent prospect for EK if we tried.

The oddest reason why I don't love Erik Karlsson is....his comment about refusing to take a hometown discount for whoever he signs with. It felt super primadonna-ish (even though I don't blame him for not taking one). Rare to hear players come out and just say that -- felt odd.

So that combined with his 10+ salary for probably 7 years, spotty injury history (not bad, just spotty), and the assets it'd take to acquire him...I'm leaning toward a "No" in acquiring him.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
IMO Ottawa will be looking for a high 1st round in the Karlsson deal. They will need to soften the sting of potentially trading away a shot at Jack Hughes

Luckily, there aren’t many teams in the top 10 that are in a position to trade for him.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Sanheim
14th overall
2019 first rounder
German Rubstov.

For

Bobby Ryan
Erik Karlsson.

That’s tough to swallow too. Vegas pick they offered was 30th (not at the time but they were one of the top teams) and next years first rounder ( another pick that is extremely low ) prospect was the hold up which I actually don’t blame Ottawa for trying for.

I actually think the Flyers package that I proposed is better than Vegas.

I would die if we do something like

Hagg
19th overall
2019 first rounder
2nd rounder.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
At this rate, I'm not certain we couldn't trade Ghost and a decent prospect for EK if we tried.

The oddest reason why I don't love Erik Karlsson is....his comment about refusing to take a hometown discount for whoever he signs with. It felt super primadonna-ish (even though I don't blame him for not taking one). Rare to hear players come out and just say that -- felt odd.

So that combined with his 10+ salary for probably 7 years, spotty injury history (not bad, just spotty), and the assets it'd take to acquire him...I'm leaning toward a "No" in acquiring him.

I don't think it would cost Ghost to get him. Word is they really wanted Glass from Vegas

I think our 14th/Frost and something else would be right up there with any other offers

Now that he requested the trade teams won't be ponying up as much imo

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sanheim
14th overall
2019 first rounder
German Rubstov.

For

Bobby Ryan
Erik Karlsson.

That’s tough to swallow too. Vegas pick they offered was 30th (not at the time but they were one of the top teams) and next years first rounder ( another pick that is extremely low ) prospect was the hold up which I actually don’t blame Ottawa for trying for.

Hagg
19th overall
2019 first rounder
2nd rounder.

Adding in the Ryan contract changes the ask for sure. Good call. Forgot about that

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Sanheim
14th overall
2019 first rounder
German Rubstov.

For

Bobby Ryan
Erik Karlsson.

Hagg
19th overall
2019 first rounder
2nd rounder.
I'd rather give up more than have to take on Bobby Ryan's contract. Cap hit of 7.2 million for four more years is quite possibly the worst contract in the league.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Ottawa, if they could, would prefer Ghost because he helps them win next year.....in an attempt not to hand over the #1 overall to the Avs.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Him requesting a trade won’t affect his value. It’s just guaranteeing he will be on the move.

Eh I can't agree there. I know he's "Requesting" it allegedly, but considering the circumstance I'd call it a demand rather than a request. When other GMs know that, the value has to take a hit at least some.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's not the kind of deal you make when you still have no solution to the goaltending problem. Imagine making that trade and then wasting the years trying to find a fix in net. Meanwhile, you're out a ton of cap space and assets in which to get that goalie.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Duchene is free agent in one year, Hoffman in two and Stone has one year of rfa left. I doubt they would wanna stick around if karlsson is gone.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think Ottawa, if they could, would prefer Ghost because he helps them win next year.....in an attempt not to hand over the #1 overall to the Avs.
Said it before but no chance we offer ghost. It defeats the purpose of getting Karlsson. Adding an elite talent to the young core we have. I don’t think that would happen.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I think a bottom 5 finish is inevitable with that locker room and the talent going out

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I just want to see EK and Melinda get as far away from Ottawa as possible. Vegas seems like a good location.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
That's not the kind of deal you make when you still have no solution to the goaltending problem. Imagine making that trade and then wasting the years trying to find a fix in net. Meanwhile, you're out a ton of cap space and assets in which to get that goalie.
I’ve stated before I think Hextall believes in Elliott. I think they have to move Nuevy and will try to upgrade.

Kevin Weekes is usually in the know and he in air talked about Hutton and Bernier.

Trading for Karlsson doesn’t stop you from upgrading the goalie situation. They generally don’t cost as much to upgrade either. We still have cap space as well to make a move if we trade for him.

Reactions: The Madrigal

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’ve stated before I think Hextall believes in Elliott. I think they have to move Nuevy and will try to upgrade.

Kevin Weekes is usually in the know and he in air talked about Hutton and Bernier.

Trading for Karlsson doesn’t stop you from upgrading the goalie situation. They generally don’t cost as much to upgrade either. We still have cap space as well to make a move if we trade for him.

This is what I think also..infact if the Flyers were to actually get Karlsson, I think upgrading the goalie would be inevitable, like 2nd on the 2dolist

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

I've been saying for a while now that I expect Hextall to find a way to move Neuvirth and sign Bernier.

Reactions: captainpaxil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad