Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
If they expect Chick to be back by camp, that probably rules out another ACL injury. They usually take 8-9 months recovery. I'd say he's done a medial ligament instead.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Hate to say it, but I could see 1 or 2 of Perlini (especially), Strome, and Fischer being moved for the forward help that Chayka is referring to. Should be an interesting offseason.

Yeah, that's how I interpret Chayka's comment as well. I really don't like it. Just pay market value for a UFA and call it a summer.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If they expect Chick to be back by camp, that probably rules out another ACL injury. They usually take 8-9 months recovery. I'd say he's done a medial ligament instead.
Agreed, can't be an ACL tear. Likely a different tendon. I wonder if he is so strong at a young age that his tendons have not matured yet and don't support his muscularity. Guys that use steroids have the problem of tendons not being strong enough, tendon tears, steroids don't strengthen tendons. Chych isn't using steroids, but wonder about the same effect.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you don't think "losing culture" is a thing, read today's comments from Ryan O'Reilly:

"We're stuck in this mindset of just being OK with losing ... It's disappointing. It's sad. I feel throughout the year I've lost the love of the game multiple times. You need to get back to it because it's just eating myself up and eats the other guys, too. It's just eating us up, and it's tough."

Sabres' Ryan O'Reilly says he lost love of game, lacked mental toughness

Quite the contrast from Tocchet's comment earlier this season:

"When you lose a lot it becomes habit. We're trying to change all that. We want to be relevant. These last 17 games are important to our franchise. We can't have complacency infiltrate this dressing room." - Rick Tocchet

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really don’t want to see roster players traded. As a result, Chayka’s comments about personnel additions up front make me nervous. So much so that I’m really hoping we win the #2 or #3 pick so that we can have an NHL ready forward in Svechnikov or Zadina, thus reducing the need for major shake ups among the forward group.
Like RT said. It was a nice run, leadership improved, some kids improved, but we need better players (where have we heard that before) the coaches have to be better etc., but the reality is we are a bottom team. RT and the organization know you have to look at the big picture and it shows we need better players. Players like Rinaldo, Archibald are hopefully on the outside looking in next year. The way it looks most of our improvement will have to come from the kids as the vets ended up with their career averages. There will be changes, even in a winning season there are changes, but Richardson, Martinook and Cousins should be stapled to the the fourth line and DVO, Fischer, Strome, Perlini, Domi have to step it up. Chayka has stayed the course with this rebuild and I hope he continues to be patient.

Reactions: Heldig

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Just realized that Komarov is UFA this summer. He's not really going to provide much scoring but he'd add a hell of a lot of grit and toughness to our lineup, and from all accounts in Toronto he's a great locker room guy and mentor.

Reactions: _Del_

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
8x8 for OEL is well worth it. If that is what he's looking for, then I don't see why we can't do it besides our budget. But as I stated before, it is only 1 mil more than he's going to make next season.

Maybe SRP can give us a little help and not charge as much for electric next season. haha

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Just realized that Komarov is UFA this summer. He's not really going to provide much scoring but he'd add a hell of a lot of grit and toughness to our lineup, and from all accounts in Toronto he's a great locker room guy and mentor.

I prefer Martinook.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How about Mr. Banana Grabber - Michael Grabner? 27 goals this season and last season. Hasn't been a big money earner, it's possible that he stays affordable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we draft Svechnikov, it might be a good idea to pick up Komarov to mentor him/billet him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad