Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Komarov speaks Russian but he is from Finland.
Wikipedia says He speaks Russian. That His parents are Russian. His family is Russian. That they moved to Finland when he was young but his dad was already a pro hockey player and the part of Finland they moved to was Swedish speaking. So he knows all three languages and English. Four total.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wikipedia says He speaks Russian. That His parents are Russian. His family is Russian. That they moved to Finland when he was young but his dad was already a pro hockey player and the part of Finland they moved to was Swedish speaking. So he knows all three languages and English. Four total.
I think I have seen it said that he speaks 5 languages on Canada Sports networks. He was born in Estonia.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Love what he says at the very end about building an exciting winner to earn the fan support. Haven't heard that over the years when they were primarily just looking for a subsidy.

This may sound weird but holy shit Chayka is one impressive dude. He seems very focused and he's able to articulate that. I bet there were a lot of General Managers who were probably licking their chops when they heard about his age, ready to make an opportunity out of it but we're probably taken back. The main boards talk a lot of shit about him because of the overhyping from ironically, other fan bases, but I am extremely excited to have such a dialed in GM running this team.

The highlights that I took away from it are:

- He mentioned he wanted to bolster the offense, that he laid some groundwork for potential deals in the discussions he had at the trade deadline and hopes to revisit them in the summer. He specifically mentioned the draft.

- Mentioned Barroway again and how invested he is in this team, and how none of them see an end to the team's time in Arizona. I find that part interesting, because there have been multiple reports from people on here and BOH that he is looking to relinquish full ownership. Not insinuating that anybody has false information, just find it peculiar that he is still mentioned in pretty much every press conference about how excited he is to grow this team.

- He mentioned going after better, skilled players, so they might have some decent money to spend after all. That, or we may see a significant trade or two.

Reactions: doaner

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Excellent presser. He has matured quite a bit and has become even more articulate.

Another interesting point was discussing the upcoming ufa's (KConn and Richardson) and mentioned how they have a great opportunity to test the market. Doesnt sound like he is willing to overpay for decent but not great players . The tone in which he talked about Richardson particularly sounded like he is ready to move on. I think that is a risky idea but Richardson may think he can get north of 2.5m on an extended contract.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Excellent presser. He has matured quite a bit and has become even more articulate.

Another interesting point was discussing the upcoming ufa's (KConn and Richardson) and mentioned how they have a great opportunity to test the market. Doesnt sound like he is willing to overpay for decent but not great players . The tone in which he talked about Richardson particularly sounded like he is ready to move on. I think that is a risky idea but Richardson may think he can get north of 2.5m on an extended contract.

I too found it interesting regarding the comments about KConn and Rich. I'd like to keep Rich, and wouldn't be upset if we kept KConn at this point, but his lack of response regarding Rich leads me to believe he'll be looking to add a center via trade or Free Agency. Most likely trade I'm assuming. Or, they move Martinook or Cousins back to center.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I too found it interesting regarding the comments about KConn and Rich. I'd like to keep Rich, and wouldn't be upset if we kept KConn at this point, but his lack of response regarding Rich leads me to believe he'll be looking to add a center via trade or Free Agency. Most likely trade I'm assuming. Or, they move Martinook or Cousins back to center.
Sounded to me like Chayka has numbers in mind for both Richardson and KConn and those numbers will not be swayed by other offers. As a result I think Chayka expects them to walk due to high FA offers that he has no intention of matching.

Reactions: RABBIT

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Love what he says at the very end about building an exciting winner to earn the fan support. Haven't heard that over the years when they were primarily just looking for a subsidy.[/MEDIA]

That's because Chayka treats this team like a legitimate hockey team. First GM probably since they were the Jets to do that - and I'm including Maloney.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Chayka is the real deal. His moves have been very astute and he's not working with money around here.
As for the off season not much will happen in terms of big splash's. This team is about the growth of it's talent and surrounding it with leadership.
These young guys will get that much better next season. It's the first time in a long time I'm excited about this team.

Reactions: Grimes

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
2.5 mil is about the max I'd offer Richie. Much more than that and we're wasting Barroway Bucks on what would be better served adding talent to the lineup.

When Rieder was traded, Chayka mentioned that one of the reasons was because of the depth in the organization, highlighting Crouse.

Maybe he's thinking a fourth line of Crouse - Cousins - Martinook?

It has Martinook on his off hand but that's not as important for the lower lines.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Cousins isn't very good at taking draws (and please, lets not put Martinook back at center again). There are affordable veteran options to replace Richardson in UFA, like Beagle, Nash, Letestu, Ryan.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You're not going to get top 6 26-29 year olds without trading roster players. I expect Fischer or Perlini to be gone. I expect Strome will stay.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If they expect Chick to be back by camp, that probably rules out another ACL injury. They usually take 8-9 months recovery. I'd say he's done a medial ligament instead.

They said this? If so, it is good news. I hope this isn't a rumor from me, as I just said he'll be back at camp if this takes as long as the other injury. I had nothing to go on there, though. Just how long the other injury took.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wouldn't give Richardson 2.5aav. I don't think any team would. I'd maybe go as high as 2 years, 3.5m total. He's purely a 4th liner, is 33 years old, and spent the last three years on a basement team. The NHL is not falling over themselves to get their hands on Brad Richardson. He may not get a single phone call until the 2nd week of July. If I'm Chayka, I'm giving him my blessing to test the market, and respectfully requesting an opportunity to match offers. That's it.

Reactions: CC96 and _Del_

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I wouldn't give Richardson 2.5aav. I don't think any team would. I'd maybe go as high as 2 years, 3.5m total. He's purely a 4th liner, is 33 years old, and spent the last three years on a basement team. The NHL is not falling over themselves to get their hands on Brad Richardson. He may not get a single phone call until the 2nd week of July. If I'm Chayka, I'm giving him my blessing to test the market, and respectfully requesting an opportunity to match offers. That's it.

I must admit I wouldn't cry at all if there is no Richardsson next season. Not because I don't like him - I am sure he is a good guy, and I hope he finds a team and all. But the Yotes will need someone else for the deep run next year. :naughty:

Either someone better, or someone worse, really!, to do the grunt-work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad