Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If you are going to bring up Team Canada selection I woukd suggest you take a look at performance in that tournament, he was a sieve to put it lightly. I like him but there weren't many options for Team Canada and he really crapped the bed. I was at the tournament.

I thought this was covered in "you know what happened."

Edit, and to clarify: I still rather want him fixed than hated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kconn had 11 goals last year, he needs to be and should be in the line up. Cousins had 12 goals, he will be in the line up too. Its kind of interesting looking at production last year. There were 4 forwards expected to be 10+ goal scorers for us last year that didn't make it to that level, they are all gone now: Domi/Duclair/Martinook/Reider. I wonder if the message is, if you get decent minutes as a forward, you need to get at least 10 goals or your 86'd:)
That was last year. They may be given a bit of a pass, but it will depend how they play in the pre season as I believe they might be on the bubble. Probably their job to lose.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you are going to bring up Team Canada selection I woukd suggest you take a look at performance in that tournament, he was a sieve to put it lightly. I like him but there weren't many options for Team Canada and he really crapped the bed. I was at the tournament.
I jumped for joy when we traded for him, but like you said, he has been a sieve since we got him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I thought this was covered in "you know what happened."

Edit, and to clarify: I still rather want him fixed than hated.
You made the Team Canada thing a big deal?? There were very few options and he sucked, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Only problem with Archibald is he's owed NHL money to play in the AHL and we can't afford to have that sort of luxury. He's gotta go.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Re: Kuemper. He's shown he can play well and 10 games with us is a tiny sample size. It's not fair to judge him solely based on how he played for us yet.
It's definateky fair to be concerned based on his most recent history.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That was last year. They may be given a bit of a pass, but it will depend how they play in the pre season as I believe they might be on the bubble. Probably their job to lose.
We were 30th in GF last year, so we are desperate for production. Cousins/Kconn were 11% of our goal production. I see them both being regular roster players because of it for the year, worst case getting the first 10-20 games. If they don't produce, they'll be out of the line up off and on, but they likely get the benefit of the doubt because of last years production and our desperate need for goals.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's definateky fair to be concerned based on his most recent history.
When we traded for him I looked at his stats and was mildly impressed, good for a back up, but watching him play for the Yotes, well, I'm not impressed. He has rebound control problems, his positioning was not great and he looked slow. If he doesn't rebound (no pun intended) this could be one weakness we did not anticipate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We were 30th in GF last year, so we are desperate for production. Cousins/Kconn were 11% of our goal production. I see them both being regular roster players because of it for the year, worst case getting the first 10-20 games. If they don't produce, they'll be out of the line up off and on, but they likely get the benefit of the doubt because of last years production and our desperate need for goals.
It was a career year for both, so I wouldn't count their production too heavily going forward. KConn is a bottom pairing at best, and Cousins is a fourth liner. IF they play there I'm fine with them on the team, but RT better not start playing them higher in the line up unless we have injuries.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Bar shouldn't be too high for Kuemper this year. Give us 25 games and a .910.
If Kuemper can achieve his .912 career save % across 25 games, Raanta his career .922 for 57 games and AZ allows the same number of shots as last year (2,690)………...they would give up 218 goals (2.66 goals against per game). Based on 2017-2018, 2.66 would have been 6th lowest in the league.

Coyotes gave up 251 goals, which was 21st in the league, last season....driven by the awful start.

Now, how to improve GF from 208 to 250ish???

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It was a career year for both, so I wouldn't count their production too heavily going forward. KConn is a bottom pairing at best, and Cousins is a fourth liner. IF they play there I'm fine with them on the team, but RT better not start playing them higher in the line up unless we have injuries.
They are both still young enough that they could improve and deserve to play higher in the line up. RT makes everyone earn their minutes as he should, not holding these two back or gifting minutes to Strome for instance. Kconn and Cousins might be on bottom lines, healthy scratched or see the AHL too. I don’t care, play the players that earn it, I don’t care what their names are, how much they are paid or where they were drafted.

Reactions: lanky and Bandit34

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They are both still young enough that they could improve and deserve to play higher in the line up. RT makes everyone earn their minutes as he should, not holding these two back or gifting minutes to Strome for instance. Kconn and Cousins might be on bottom lines, healthy scratched or see the AHL too. I don’t care, play the players that earn it, I don’t care what their names are, how much they are paid or where they were drafted.
It's a new year, and may the best man win. Like I said, they both had career years and if they can play at that level we win, but if Cousins plays second line minutes for any long stretch we failed as an organization. Same goes for KConn.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's a new year, and may the best man win. Like I said, they both had career years and if they can play at that level we win, but if Cousins plays second line minutes for any long stretch we failed as an organization. Same goes for KConn.
If cousins becomes a 20 goal scorer he deserves second line minutes. Maybe DVO/Perlini/Fischer/Keller just had career years too. Domi/Duke had what look like career years now. Your discounting any potential for Kconn/Cousins. I know our shiny young players have more upside (in theory) but we’ll see. It’s 70/30 odds not 90/10.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If cousins becomes a 20 goal scorer he deserves second line minutes. Maybe DVO/Perlini/Fischer/Keller just had career years too. Domi/Duke had what look like career years now. Your discounting any potential for Kconn/Cousins. I know our shiny young players have more upside (in theory) but we’ll see. It’s 70/30 odds not 90/10.
I guess you have more faith in Cousins and KConn than I do. As I have mentioned before, I like both players, but in my eyes they are complementary players, that are easily replaceable. KConn is 28, he is what he is, and I believe same goes for Cousins.

Reactions: SniperHF

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Cousins is a very good 12-13 F and KConn is a very good 6-7 D. In those roles, both are great. Don’t make them more than that, though.
Our 6/7D and 12/13th forward had 11% of our goal production last year (while being decent on D), they are both more then that util proven otherwise.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
At least no-one has been caught with PEDs in their system. Nate Schmidt is out for 2o games.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Insert Crosby, McDavid or a Leafs star. How many games?

To speculate: probably the same.

Given hockey is a sport who is registered as a real sport, I wonder if someone else has the right to demand more games.

People are getting suspended for two years, you know, for very small traces of amounts of roids in other sports. If that is what this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad