2018 NHL GM Rankings #8

Just pick 8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Jarmo has done something no other GM in CBJ history has done by making the playoffs multiple times. He has built a perennial playoff team while also being the youngest team in the league. His drafting has been very good going against the pundits to pick players like Pierre-Luc Dubois as well as taking Markus Nutivaara in the 7th round. His trades have been great landing players like Seth Jones and Artemi Panarin. The guy deserves some credit turning a franchise everyone here laughs at into a contender.

I always find it interesting that when I point out Jarmo's accomplishments he starts getting votes...

Can we fix the abbreviation for Blue Jackets to CBJ? What the heck is COLU?

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I see x marks against a lot of these GMs. Big mistakes. Sweeney's added a lot of good players for the Bruins but his 2015 draft is a huge blunder. A few years ago Bob Murray had one of the best young teams in the league in the Ducks. He let a lot of good players go and committed to some bad older players like Bieksa.

Why is Dubas getting votes ahead of say, Chayka? Dubas should be getting an incomplete grade, but even if you're willing to overlook the zero work completed part, because perhaps you like his philosophy or something, then why not vote Chayka? Similar background, but a lot more moves (and some very good moves) to evaluate.

Why is Hextall on par with Kekalainen? I actually like a lot of moves that Hextall has made, but it's been all rebuilding oriented, he hasn't had the pressure to actually win now. The one time those two GMs made a big trade with each other was when Jarmo fleeced Hextall - Hartnell for Umberger, who was one of the worst players in the league in his Flyers tenure. Of course from the Flyers perspective, it didn't matter because they weren't trying to be good, but that gives an easy pass to the GM for a bad move. He said at the time he thought they were getting the better player, which was a poor evaluation.

Jarmo Kekalainen has had to try and build a winner in a city that is not a free agent destination by any means. That's a much stiffer test and he's done well. He turned a low-end 1C into a franchise D in Seth Jones. He turned Anisimov and Dano into Saad into Panarin. He had the balls to pass on Puljujarvi - according to the reporting at the time, only one other GM would have passed on Puljujarvi.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So would you have Jim nill or doug Armstrong with their history in the top 5 as the other groupings of hf have done?
Haha too true, now the leafs fans need to get their guy in so if Dubas goes now at 8 this will be the biggest joke of a poll (and me as OP has NO responsibility for this), esp with a non playoff GM going top 5, Mcphee the lame duck at 6 and now a rookie ZERO experience GM at 8 wow. If Dubas goes 8 we should make a poll of the worst HFBoards polls of all time and this should win it :biglaugh:

Reactions: major major

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Why are people surprised at McPhee? The guy absolutely owned the expansion draft. Owned it.

I don't like the guy, and I have been incredibly critical of pretty much everything he's done since, from Shipachyov to Patches. But you can't deny what he did with expansion.

I voted Chayka here. I put a lot of value on a guy being pro-active. And Chayka has made a lot of smart and shrewd moves, especially for a guy in one of the toughest situations out there.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why is Dubas getting votes ahead of say, Chayka? Dubas should be getting an incomplete grade, but even if you're willing to overlook the zero work completed part, because perhaps you like his philosophy or something, then why not vote Chayka? Similar background, but a lot more moves (and some very good moves) to evaluate.

Similar background is such a terrible misrepresentation. Line up their career path before becoming NHL GM's and tell me it's similar.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Why are people surprised at McPhee? The guy absolutely owned the expansion draft. Owned it.

I don't like the guy, and I have been incredibly critical of pretty much everything he's done since, from Shipachyov to Patches. But you can't deny what he did with expansion.

I voted Chayka here. I put a lot of value on a guy being pro-active. And Chayka has made a lot of smart and shrewd moves, especially for a guy in one of the toughest situations out there.
That's the one thing he has the expansion draft. Which was the 1st time a team had one with the drastically improved rules. A ton of guys had career years. McPhee had a good go with lots of young cheap players. Now let's sit back and watch as he has to make trades without all the leverage and manage cap hits. Enjoy

Reactions: Peanut

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With GM's, it's all what have you done for me lately. At the end of the day, you can nitpick good or bad things about most GM's that have been doing it long enough. In reality, for a GM to look good, many others in the organization have to be doing a great job as well. As long as you don't have a horrible GM, it really doesn't matter who you have, a lot of the time, it comes down to luck.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bowman has like, what, 3 cups under his belt?
I voted for him because of what he did during that stretch, but I have a feeling he's going to be like Ken Holland. Very successful for a particular stretch, and then fail mightily trying to bridge from one era to the next. Holland really hurt his reputation over the last several years.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This should end the debate once and for all that hfboards posters could run their own team. I wouldn't have McPhee in the top 15 let alone at 6.

Most people on this forum wouldn’t have the balls to tell a man to uproot his family for picks. But everyone on this forum wants to do it. Or sitting across from a coach and firing him.

Armchair GMs should stay, in their armchairs.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ray Shero. As to Mcphee, I had him higher. He did amazing with that Vegas team. Given I run polls in this section I try to stay pretty unbiased but Dubas has done nothing (Yeah he did sign Tavares but I think I could have been Leafs GM and Tavares would have signed) to deserve #8 on this list.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wish I was paying attention to this poll earlier. Bowman has three cups. Yzerman has fewer Cups than Peter Chiarelli. How many playoff rounds have Chevy coached teams won in his career?

Is this really just a poll of "what teams are good right now"?

Awful.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wish I was paying attention to this poll earlier. Bowman has three cups. Yzerman has fewer Cups than Peter Chiarelli. How many playoff rounds have Chevy coached teams won in his career?

Is this really just a poll of "what teams are good right now"?

Awful.

Pretty much. Is this a power ranking or a ranking of their entire resume? If it's a power ranking, then Chiarelli and Holland will be near the bottom. If it's their whole resume, then they are near the top. Those 2 are the definition of boom/bust. We'll have to see if Bowman ends up like them or gets the Hawks back to contending.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Ray Shero. As to Mcphee, I had him higher. He did amazing with that Vegas team. Given I run polls in this section I try to stay pretty unbiased but Dubas has done nothing (Yeah he did sign Tavares but I think I could have been Leafs GM and Tavares would have signed) to deserve #8 on this list.
Maclellen literally just took the team McPhee had ran for 15 years and won a cup in 3 years. He's better than McPhee. His team also happened to beat McPhees team rather soundly for the cup. It's not like we're comparing two random GMs here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas, because reading the OP ***** and moan about the polls every time is amusing.
Just like his other poll where the Leafs were voted with the 7th best Stanley Cup odds, whenever Dubas finally wins chances are the OP will say move on to the next one, where as he gave some reason for the other previous winners.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad