2018 NHL GM Rankings #8

Just pick 8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Similar background is such a terrible misrepresentation. Line up their career path before becoming NHL GM's and tell me it's similar.

Okay. I won't. Because I don't care about what great things your GM did before getting the job. I want to know how good he is at being GM, and Dubas hasn't done anything yet. Aren't Leaf fans embarrassed by voting for him in this poll?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maclellen literally just took the team McPhee had ran for 15 years and won a cup in 3 years. He's better than McPhee. His team also happened to beat McPhees team rather soundly for the cup. It's not like we're comparing two random GMs here.

Yeah with mostly McPhee's players. If IIRC Niskanen & Orpik was Maclellan's big addition. Virtually everything else of value is McPhee.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jarmo Kekalainen got Seth Jones and Artemi Panarin via trade. To date, Dubas best trade acquisition is Eamon McAdam. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
How many playoff series have his Blue Jackets teams won, oh that's right the answer is zero.

Dubas was also able to get rid of Matt Martin's contract and thankfully Lou Lamoriello wanted to accept him for the 2nd time since he's the reason he has it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jarmo then Hextall. Loved the Hextall. Hextall's 2015 draft of getting Provorov and moving up to get Konecny was one -two the best draft moves in 2015.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing others seem to forget about Dubas is how at the 2015 draft he was able to move down with the Leafs second pick in the 1st round they got from Nashville, which started when they moved from 24th pick to 29th pick and eventually trading out of the 1st round and selecting Travis Dermott in the 2nd round with the 34th overall pick. I always said some teams will regret not selecting Dermott as a late 1st round pick and thanks to Dubas and those trades in the 1st round the Leafs were lucky to select him.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Yeah with mostly McPhee's players. If IIRC Niskanen & Orpik was Maclellan's big addition. Virtually everything else of value is McPhee.
You missed a few... Niskanen, Oshie, Eller, Vrana, Kempny, Smith-Pelley, Connolly, Orpik, these guys had a huge role in the cup win as well as helping to change the culture in the dressing room. Also Orlov was extremely disgruntled under McPhee and Oates and wanted to be traded. Have since blossomed with proper coaching.

Reactions: Peanut

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Seeing more and more of the moves Lou is doing in NYI its easy to see Dubas blueprints on Toronto. Surprised to see him going so late in the rankings.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Seeing more and more of the moves Lou is doing in NYI its easy to see Dubas blueprints on Toronto. Surprised to see him going so late in the rankings.
I voted for him to annoy the OP but in reality I'd have to give him an incomplete. In my opinion he's performed almost perfectly since being put in charge but it's been less than four months.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I voted for him to annoy the OP but in reality I'd have to give him an incomplete. In my opinion he's performed almost perfectly since being put in charge but it's been less than four months.

I look at his ground work with what he did with the his past teams. He hasn't made a mistake yet that I can see. I willing to admit if im wrong there.

You see the Komarov, Martin and PTO with Sbisa. Its quite telling difference between Lou and Dubas moves.

Will he fix the Leafs D without losing some assets time will tell. Mcphee was the GM for WSH for so many years and failed to ever address it, heck it wasn't until Maclellan came in they finally addressed the organizations needs instead of a trade like Erat for Forsberg or hiring Adam Oats.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
How many playoff series have his Blue Jackets teams won, oh that's right the answer is zero.

Dubas was also able to get rid of Matt Martin's contract and thankfully Lou Lamoriello wanted to accept him for the 2nd time since he's the reason he has it.
So... if that is your argument.... how many playoff series has Dubas won?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So... if that is your argument.... how many playoff series has Dubas won?
My point is it's dumb to show how great Kekailanen has been with a few select trades when his teams have never won a playoff series in their franchise history and last season blowing a 2-0 series lead to the Capitals, after winning the first two games on the road.

Now I realize Kyle Dubas has not yet won a playoff series as an NHL GM, however the Toronto Marlies just won the 2018 Calder Cup and he was the GM responsible for that team. Of course since that's the AHL I know others will say it does not count, but I figure mentioning it can not hurt him.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Okay. I won't. Because I don't care about what great things your GM did before getting the job. I want to know how good he is at being GM, and Dubas hasn't done anything yet. Aren't Leaf fans embarrassed by voting for him in this poll?

Have you ever heard of John Tavares?

Or wait, does that not count since apparently he was wanting to be a Leaf all along? (Even though nobody was saying that pre July 1st)

I'm pretty sure signing the biggest free agent ever, shouldn't account to nothing. But you do you :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Have you ever heard of John Tavares?

Or wait, does that not count since apparently he was wanting to be a Leaf all along? (Even though nobody was saying that pre July 1st)

I'm pretty sure signing the biggest free agent ever, shouldn't account to nothing. But you do you :laugh:
Tavares wanted to be a Leafs so much that he also decided to meet with the Sharks, Lightning, Bruins, Stars and Islanders in the same week he meet with Toronto. Of course everyone wants to forget that fact and how Tavares said he was blown away by Dubas presentation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->