GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft | TRADE: [EDM/MTL] Hayden Hawkey acquired in exchange for EDM 5th '19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Yes.

I'll feel bad for the kid because it's not his fault. However, Boqvist would be the BPA and fill a massive need if both are on the table.

Boqvist's ceiling is so far ahead of Smith's.
If Boqvist and the other top 5 d men are gone, do we get the same reaction?

I'd honestly be happy with Smith, I feel like he gets underatted on here for whatever reason.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
did anyone else hear the Rishaug report on the Grgor show just after 5?
said something like the Oilers are looking to recover cash?
not sure, but expecting more Eberle for Strome, Hall for Larsson trades coming up.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Boqvist and the other top 5 d men are gone, do we get the same reaction?

I'd honestly be happy with Smith, I feel like he gets underatted on here for whatever reason.

Yeah I'd be fine with him too if the others are gone. I think his hockey IQ is really underrated. Kid has a mind for the game, he's a very good player who wants to be an Oiler.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
not sure, but expecting more Eberle for Strome, Hall for Larsson trades coming up.

Heard it. He was talking about the Gryba buy-out.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

If only they had a young top 4 D man.... stay away from Weber unless it's in a Lucic trade

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
There was absolutely ZERO reason why Chiarelli would buyout Gryba unless he had something in the works for another Defencemen. There must be a reason as to why he would put 300k on the cap for another 2 seasons. If not, well it just shows his ineptitude to actually manage a team in a Salary Cap League.

Why else would you add 300k to the cap for 2 seasons when you could very easily bury him in the Minors for the year.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
There was absolutely 0% reason why Chiarelli would buyout Gryba unless he had something in the works for another Defencemen. There must be a reason as to why he would put 300k on the cap for another 2 seasons. If not, well it just shows his ineptitude to actually manage a team in a Salary Cap League.

Why else would you add 300k to the cap for 2 seasons when you could very easily bury him in the Minors for the year.
This has been beaten to death.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
There was absolutely 0% reason why Chiarelli would buyout Gryba unless he had something in the works for another Defencemen. There must be a reason as to why he would put 300k on the cap for another 2 seasons. If not, well it just shows his ineptitude to actually manage a team in a Salary Cap League.

Because it’s a business money saving move, Gryba has zero value to the team. 300k off the salary cap is nothing. But the oilers save something like 600k in actual dollars.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
After watching the NBA draft and seeing Micheal Porter Jr (a top 5 talent no doubt) fall to 14 and Robert Williams (projected 12-14) go 27, I really truly believe that one of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or maybe even Tkachuk will be at 10.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I really like Chias comment today on Oilers now. He said "At the end of the day you draft the best player available." Doesnt sound like we will be going off the board.

Reactions: 780il and Aerchon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Rishaug said something to the effect that the Oilers are in a situation where they are looking to recover cash. It was about making sense of the Gryba buyout.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
This has been beaten to death.

Ok well considering the OP quoted Friedman talking about the Oilers acquiring another Defencemen, I figured I would talk about it. Was it discussed in another thread? Sorry I don’t scour the HFHockey Boards all day reading all the threads. This was the first thread I saw and he was talking about it.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Because it’s a business money saving move, Gryba has zero value to the team. 300k off the salary cap is nothing. But the oilers save something like 600k in actual dollars.

Thanks, I didn’t know they’d save that much cash in buying out that contract. Makes sense I guess.

Reactions: Mcwinner

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes.

I'll feel bad for the kid because it's not his fault. However, Boqvist would be the BPA and fill a massive need if both are on the table.

Boqvist's ceiling is so far ahead of Smith's.
Lets be real, the board will melt down no matter what.

Reactions: snipes

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Ok well considering the OP quoted Friedman talking about the Oilers acquiring another Defencemen, I figured I would talk about it. Was it discussed in another thread? Sorry I don’t scour the HFHockey Boards all day reading all the threads. This was the first thread I saw and he was talking about it.
Chia looking to add a defenseman and buying out Gryba are not related at all

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, id be happy with Smith. Boqvist and his recurring concussion problems worry me.

He wont fall, but I'd cry if we somehow got Dobson.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I really like Chias comment today on Oilers now. He said "At the end of the day you draft the best player available." Doesnt sound like we will be going off the board.

Unfortunately it's the Oilers scouts who get to determine who the best player available is, so they'll probably be wrong.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tomorrow after the draft:

Hockey Pundit #1-" Wow there sure was a lot of buzz out there, but no one could pull the trigger it seems"

Hockey Pundit #2- "I'm hearing these conversations will continue into the free agency period and something could still shake loose"

hahahaha.... yeah, this is the EXACT thing that is said each and every year

Reactions: KYams17

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I really like Parayko, but we all know that disucssion starts and ends with Draisaitl. STL would demand him and EDM would be dumb to even consider it. So I'll be shocked if anything comes of that...unless Chia decides to have a massive brain fart again.

As for the draft, I'm still holding out hope that one of Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom or Tkachuk fall to us. I'm good taking a chance on Boqvist if he's the last one standing as well. LET'S GO! :pickle::yo:

Well, considering that this is the standard operating procedure for idiot-Chia, I don't know why you would be surprised. Idiot-Chia has lost every deal he's ever made that involved a "big name" player, and he is (strangely, given his history of losing) very willing to make those trades. Drai for Parayko is the exact type of deal that Chia would make. Would it be a massive, MASSIVE, loss for the Oilers? Of course it would be. But again, why would that surprise anybody?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the Boqvist to Karlsson comparisons need to tone down. I mean I guess that’s somewhere in the realm of possibility but imo it’s not a good one. If people think that drafting Boqvist is a guaranteed Karlsson or Karlsson lite in a few years, I think you’re setting yourself up for a big disappointment. The stars would have to perfectly align for that to happen.

I think it’s much more likely Boqvist becomes a puck moving middle pairing D who can be great on the pp but can’t really be trusted with the big defensive assignments. The potential for a top pair/#1D is there in terms of skill but I doubt he hits it. If this were the video game I’d consider him an ‘Elite-Low’ or something like that.
I definitely don't disagree, but I also think we need a great PP dman. I don't know enough about Ty Smith to compare him to Boqvist, but I do think Boqvist on his own has elite hands, skating, and a wicked shot, not to mention great vision and puck moving. I would be quite happy if he ended up an Oiler, but it sure is starting to sound like they might pass on him even if he makes it to 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad