GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft | TRADE: [EDM/MTL] Hayden Hawkey acquired in exchange for EDM 5th '19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
We've closed the Draft thread and the R&P thread. They'll re-open after the conclusion of the entry draft on Saturday.

Let's get started:

The Oilers are currently slated to pick from positions: 10th, 40th, 71st, Al Montoya, 133rd, 164th, and 195th.

The public opinion poll I conducted earlier this week is now closed and the results can be seen in the header and the thread is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hypothetically-who-would-you-draft.2504187/

On the rumors front...

Congregate. Discuss.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think the Boqvist to Karlsson comparisons need to tone down. I mean I guess that’s somewhere in the realm of possibility but imo it’s not a good one. If people think that drafting Boqvist is a guaranteed Karlsson or Karlsson lite in a few years, I think you’re setting yourself up for a big disappointment. The stars would have to perfectly align for that to happen.

I think it’s much more likely Boqvist becomes a puck moving middle pairing D who can be great on the pp but can’t really be trusted with the big defensive assignments. The potential for a top pair/#1D is there in terms of skill but I doubt he hits it. If this were the video game I’d consider him an ‘Elite-Low’ or something like that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As for the draft, to me it's wide open. Smith at 10? I wouldn't be shocked if he's not even available at 10... or falls to 15. Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes... all good choices.

Trading down? Pretty leery of it, but I guess it depends how the top 9 shakes down.

Trading away outright? Really not a fan of this option, although if it truly makes the team better, I guess I could live with it. I already don't like the fact that the Oilers only have six picks in this draft.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
sO THAT IS sTauffer and Freidman both talking about Parayko in the last 2 days.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lots of rumours floating around which is the normal for draft week, let's see if there's lots of action this time around.

Thanks for the new thread Soli!

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I can feel it, something big is going to happen. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. I'm excited though

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Targets tomorrow should be: Boqvist, Parayko, Karlsson. If we don't land one of these players I will be disappointed.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers have $11,928,834 in cap space once Montoya's contract is subtracted (all but $37,500 can be buried), with Nurse and Strome to re-sign.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
I think the Boqvist to Karlsson comparisons need to tone down. I mean I guess that’s somewhere in the realm of possibility but imo it’s not a good one. If people think that drafting Boqvist is a guaranteed Karlsson or Karlsson lite in a few years, I think you’re setting yourself up for a big disappointment. The stars would have to perfectly align for that to happen.

I think it’s much more likely Boqvist becomes a puck moving middle pairing D who can be great on the pp but can’t really be trusted with the big defensive assignments. The potential for a top pair/#1D is there in terms of skill but I doubt he hits it. If this were the video game I’d consider him an ‘Elite-Low’ or something like that.
I still take that over Ty Smith everyday of the week.

Reactions: McFlash97

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Eklund seems to think it's us setting the market for 65.

I'd wager Chiarelli and Dorion haven't even spoken.

He also said Oilers and Flyers were talking earlier. Simmonds not involved. I know Eklund is a hack but he sometimes seems to be dialed in to the Flyers.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Tomorrow after the draft:

Hockey Pundit #1-" Wow there sure was a lot of buzz out there, but no one could pull the trigger it seems"

Hockey Pundit #2- "I'm hearing these conversations will continue into the free agency period and something could still shake loose"

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Be sweet if we could get Hamilton out of Calgary for Klefbom and the 10th.

Or Parayko.

Or Trouba.

Dumba? Maybe, not sold on him as much.

Ristolainen, but would want thier second in return as well.

Clear out dead weight cap space and sign Carlson would be great.

Nurse for Trouba straight up would work although I would much prefer to keep Nurse over Klefbom.

Not interested in Karlsson because the cost to get him would be too high.

Am I forgetting and good right shooting defenseman that might be available?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He also said Oilers and Flyers were talking earlier. Simmonds not involved. I know Eklund is a hack but he sometimes seems to be dialed in to the Flyers.

Dude's been a laughingstock for like 12 years and still going with it. He sucks, but credit for sticking to his guns, no matter how hilarious they are.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Targets tomorrow should be: Boqvist, Parayko, Karlsson. If we don't land one of these players I will be disappointed.
Better stock up on that alcohol then. You’ll need it after tomorrow’s disappointment.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Be sweet if we could get Hamilton out of Calgary for Klefbom and the 10th.

Or Parayko.

Or Trouba.

Dumba? Maybe, not sold on him as much.

Ristolainen, but would want thier second in return as well.

Clear out dead weight cap space and sign Carlson would be great.

Nurse for Trouba straight up would work although I would much prefer to keep Nurse over Klefbom.

Not interested in Karlsson because the cost to get him would be too high.

Am I forgetting and good right shooting defenseman that might be available?

Tyson Barrie and Justin Faulk

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Better stock up on that alcohol then. You’ll need it after tomorrow’s disappointment.

Already stocked up! Boqvist is semi-realistic...the other 2 are kind of pipedreams, but one can dream lol

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Are we at least going to dodge the Ristolainen bullet? Haven't heard any of the talking heads mention his name lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->