2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely. I have no problem putting him a tier above the cluster of C's hovering around the early 2nd.

He has better skating and hands than McLaughlin, the consistency and complete game a guy like Hillis lacks down the middle, the shot Veleno doesn't have and sharper offensive tools than Drury and McLeod.

If he dominated just purely out of skill or size and racking points on the PP, I'd have some reservations.
But on any given night, he'll outwork everyone else on the ice and think the game at another level. A big reason he didn't look out of place against better, more experienced competition and managed to impress as an invitee with the NTDP.
At this point I think he goes late 1st. If he makes it to our earliest 2nd, he's a no brainer.

I actually think the depth at C in this draft is better than given credit for. It sucks at the top without having a bluechip guy, but the depth is actually pretty good IMO and I think we should be able to get a couple of really good C prospects in round 2..

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
This will make people mad but I'd be willing to package one of our early 2nds with one of our later 2nds to move up to select Ryan Merkley.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This will make people mad but I'd be willing to package one of our early 2nds with one of our later 2nds to move up to select Ryan Merkley.

Hard pass. Incredibly gifted but not disciplined at all on the ice. This is clearly evident when you watched him play. At least 3 games I watched during the season I saw him clearly just give up as well as pouting clear as day during his shift... multiple times in each game. Took some bad penalties also. This is just the stuff any of us can watch. Off camera, he is apparently a difficult player to coach, and I am being nice here. This is reported by many close to the room or access to it.

This isn't just during his draft year. I've been hearing about this since he was 15.

I didn't read the interviews from the combine, but I would not waste a 1st, let alone multiple 2nds for him.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Maybe Habs have a chance at Hawks or Oilers pick? Kotkaniemi's skating will hold him back, I have him skill going between 15-18. But where he plays valuable position see him going between 8-12. Not just his skating but noticed he can't be knocked off the puck more than most guys. At 18, 4 out of 5 times that is a core strength issue. Both these it takes time. He is not going to be ready in October. Mostly likely, 2 years away, chances are 3 before making meaningful impact. So I can't see him going at 3.

I can't see the Rangers taking him at 9. They are deep down the middle and need help everywhere else. Howden is underrated, he is going to be a good player. Andersson was 7th overall last year and Chytil had a good year. All are centers. The first 3 picks are pretty well set. The next 4 should go Hughes, then it gets dicy. Tkaczuk, Boqvist, Dobson, Walstrom but don't know what order. Hawks may take Kotkaniemi at 8. Not likely but possible as one of those 4 has to be bumped. Can't see K doing it. If he is still there at 10, Habs could make a trade with Oilers to get the 10th. I would do it even if it means taking on Lucic and giving up a couple decent prospects like a Lindgren. Habs could conceivable come up with a third 1st in a Pacioretty trade. I like a Dellandrea or Sandin around 17-20. Rumours say they like Hayton. Fair enough, if he played top minutes his numbers would look better. Maybe there is a bit of Thomas or Frost in him. If Habs draft Zadina, Kotkaniemi and Hayton first round be good to very good. Plus, keep all their 2nds. Good talent available in 2nd round. Could be a Wise, I like Nodstrom also. Somebody like a Miller could slide out of the first round.

Hayton has offensive skill. He's a responsible centre and obviously working on the so-called little things, which become big things in the league.

Seen him since he attended the Hounds summer camp after the OHL draft. Nothing but steady progress from him and promise for more.

I'm seeing some mocks that have him in the late 20s, and one even rates him 33rd. Not to be rude, but I can't begin to take those ratings seriously.

He'll be off the board by pick 12.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Absolutely. I have no problem putting him a tier above the cluster of C's hovering around the early 2nd.

He has better skating and hands than McLaughlin, the consistency and complete game a guy like Hillis lacks down the middle, the shot Veleno doesn't have and sharper offensive tools than Drury and McLeod.

If he dominated just purely out of skill or size and racking points on the PP, I'd have some reservations.
But on any given night, he'll out-pace everyone else on the ice and think the game at another level. A big reason he didn't look out of place against better, more experienced competition and managed to impress as an invitee with the NTDP.

The only ones I have ahead are Hayton, Lundestrom, Dellandrea and Kupari.

I only know what you've shown me (moar plz), but if I had to choose, I'd prefer that we took him with one of our later 2nds. Mark shared a bit of his background in that he coached Wayne Simmonds when he decided to make hockeprospect.com to help kids like him: fantastic players who were getting overlooked because of league quality. There's no surprise that Mark has no problem ranking an ostensibly Junior B kid in the first. In those shift by shift and highlight vids that you did I saw a skilled kid with a lot of hustle, but I did feel like he should be embarrassing the competition even more than he did. For example, there was one point where he really tried to force a 2 on 1 situation (it was going to turn into a 2 on 2) in which he must have known that he had both a lane to shoot, and the ability to blow past the last defender. That's not a big thing, but I'm positive someone like Morozov would've buried that opportunity. Put Berggren in that league and the Benny Hill theme would be appropriate background music for a highlight video.

Above him I have guys like *sigh* Veleno, McLeod, Morozov, SDA, Olofsson, and Goose (he's dropping on my final list). Depending on Bob's list, of course, I have no problem ''taking him where we can get him.''

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
At this point I think he goes late 1st. If he makes it to our earliest 2nd, he's a no brainer.

I actually think the depth at C in this draft is better than given credit for. It sucks at the top without having a bluechip guy, but the depth is actually pretty good IMO and I think we should be able to get a couple of really good C prospects in round 2..

Lololol.

This is triggering.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I only know what you've shown me (moar plz), but if I had to choose, I'd prefer that we took him with one of our later 2nds. Mark shared a bit of his background in that he coached Wayne Simmonds when he decided to make hockeprospect.com to help kids like him: fantastic players who were getting overlooked because of league quality. There's no surprise that Mark has no problem ranking an ostensibly Junior B kid in the first. In those shift by shift and highlight vids that you did I saw a skilled kid with a lot of hustle, but I did feel like he should be embarrassing the competition even more than he did. For example, there was one point where he really tried to force a 2 on 1 situation (it was going to turn into a 2 on 2) in which he must have known that he had both a lane to shoot, and the ability to blow past the last defender. That's not a big thing, but I'm positive someone like Morozov would've buried that opportunity. Put Berggren in that league and the Benny Hill theme would be appropriate background music for a highlight video.

Above him I have guys like *sigh* Veleno, McLeod, Morozov, SDA, Olofsson, and Goose (he's dropping on my final list). Depending on Bob's list, of course, I have no problem ''taking him where we can get him.''

Man, f*** Veleno and McLeod. O'Briens upside is higher than those plugs.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
We should do a poll with the top realistic targets for the 35th and 38th picks.

I guess centers like O'Brien and Dellandrea should be on top of the list. If one of Lundvist, Alex Alex and Sandin drop that would be nice too.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Ideally GMs shy away from picking a kid out of junior b level and he's there in the mid 2nd range, which would make for a greater value pick .

On a pure offensive ceilling standpoint, I agree there's more I'd have ahead. I guess it's more the overall combination of skill, smarts and polish which usually tends to transfer better that attracts me. Morozov is up there as well when it comes to this. J-OB simply has that unique drive that gives him that little edge.

But I'll echo WTK's sentiments on Veleno. My boi's got a higher ceilling than that jabroni.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I guess centers like O'Brien and Dellandrea should be on top of the list. If one of Lundvist, Alex Alex and Sandin drop that would be nice too.
I could be wrong, but I think Dellandrea is a round 1 lock. He and O'Brien would be a dream though.

Realistically, we'd be lucky to get one of them I think.

Reactions: ginomini

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I don't think Dellandrea and Alex Alex are realistic at that point. They pretty much gonna go top 25.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If he was a bluechip C, he'd be the 3rd guy on every list would he not?
He has question marks, just like the others in the 3 to 10 range. It's all about projectability though and he projects very well.

If he had no question marks, he'd be in the conversation for #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad