2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Apparently, a lot of teams have Merkley on their ND list, even after interviews.

I guess it feeds my suspicions that the kid has issues he really does need to address.

I wouldn't touch him either. It might bite me in the ass, but I feel picking him, especially high, is throwing a pick away. I was basing mostly on what I could see in games where he made Drouin look like an upbeat leader with high compete, but the off ice stuff just keeps surfacing more and more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting podcast out of Edmonton featuring Mark Edwards of the Black Book on the Bob Stauffer show. Edwards provides several insights, significant time during his interview surprisingly spent on the Habs.

He breaks down his tiers as follows:

1-2 no brainer
3-7
8-12
13-18
18-45

Stauffer said he was stunned at how much time the Habs were spending with Kotkaniemi (I'm assuming he meant interviewing him, during the combine). Edwards argues that going for Kotkaniemi means overreaching and drafting for position.

Says Boqvist is at 11 for HP, on account of his concussions.

June 11 - Oilers Now Seg 3 - Mark Edwards - HockeyProspect.com - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would rather draft Zadina than Svech. I know Svech has more skill but prospects with most passion for the game generally have the higher ceiling.

Lol okay and Svech doesn't have as much passion because he's Russian? What are you even basing that on? The guy came from Russia when he was 16 to play hockey in America and then moved to Canada when he was drafted in the OHL. You don't do that if you don't have passion

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol okay and Svech doesn't have as much passion because he's Russian? What are you even basing that on? The guy came from Russia when he was 16 to play hockey in America and then moved to Canada when he was drafted in the OHL. You don't do that if you don't have passion
Never said that....don't put false info on here. Noticed Zadina tremendous passion in WJC and playing for Mooseheads. Never said anybody else never had any. Just his is way higher than most

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Interesting podcast out of Edmonton featuring Mark Edwards of the Black Book on the Bob Stauffer show. Edwards provides several insights, significant time during his interview surprisingly spent on the Habs.

He breaks down his tiers as follows:

1-2 no brainer
3-7
8-12
13-18
18-45

Stauffer said he was stunned at how much time the Habs were spending with Kotkaniemi (I'm assuming he meant interviewing him, during the combine). Edwards argues that going for Kotkaniemi means overreaching and drafting for position.

Says Boqvist is at 11 for HP, on account of his concussions.

June 11 - Oilers Now Seg 3 - Mark Edwards - HockeyProspect.com - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm
Maybe Habs have a chance at Hawks or Oilers pick? Kotkaniemi's skating will hold him back, I have him skill going between 15-18. But where he plays valuable position see him going between 8-12. Not just his skating but noticed he can't be knocked off the puck more than most guys. At 18, 4 out of 5 times that is a core strength issue. Both these it takes time. He is not going to be ready in October. Mostly likely, 2 years away, chances are 3 before making meaningful impact. So I can't see him going at 3.

I can't see the Rangers taking him at 9. They are deep down the middle and need help everywhere else. Howden is underrated, he is going to be a good player. Andersson was 7th overall last year and Chytil had a good year. All are centers. The first 3 picks are pretty well set. The next 4 should go Hughes, then it gets dicy. Tkaczuk, Boqvist, Dobson, Walstrom but don't know what order. Hawks may take Kotkaniemi at 8. Not likely but possible as one of those 4 has to be bumped. Can't see K doing it. If he is still there at 10, Habs could make a trade with Oilers to get the 10th. I would do it even if it means taking on Lucic and giving up a couple decent prospects like a Lindgren. Habs could conceivable come up with a third 1st in a Pacioretty trade. I like a Dellandrea or Sandin around 17-20. Rumours say they like Hayton. Fair enough, if he played top minutes his numbers would look better. Maybe there is a bit of Thomas or Frost in him. If Habs draft Zadina, Kotkaniemi and Hayton first round be good to very good. Plus, keep all their 2nds. Good talent available in 2nd round. Could be a Wise, I like Nodstrom also. Somebody like a Miller could slide out of the first round.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Apparently, a lot of teams have Merkley on their ND list, even after interviews.

I guess it feeds my suspicions that the kid has issues he really does need to address.

I wouldn't touch him either. It might bite me in the ass, but I feel picking him, especially high, is throwing a pick away. I was basing mostly on what I could see in games where he made Drouin look like an upbeat leader with high compete, but the off ice stuff just keeps surfacing more and more.

I believe Mark and others when they talk about his off-ice issues. However, for me, Merkley didn't even get that far. I've never given him a ranking this season. Total puckhog, completely anti-committed to defence, and really not smart enough at all to compensate. Poor-man's Karlsson, my ass.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe Habs have a chance at Hawks or Oilers pick? Kotkaniemi's skating will hold him back, I have him skill going between 15-18. But where he plays valuable position see him going between 8-12. Not just his skating but noticed he can't be knocked off the puck more than most guys. At 18, 4 out of 5 times that is a core strength issue. Both these it takes time. He is not going to be ready in October. Mostly likely, 2 years away, chances are 3 before making meaningful impact. So I can't see him going at 3.

I can't see the Rangers taking him at 9. They are deep down the middle and need help everywhere else. Howden is underrated, he is going to be a good player. Andersson was 7th overall last year and Chytil had a good year. All are centers. The first 3 picks are pretty well set. The next 4 should go Hughes, then it gets dicy. Tkaczuk, Boqvist, Dobson, Walstrom but don't know what order. Hawks may take Kotkaniemi at 8. Not likely but possible as one of those 4 has to be bumped. Can't see K doing it. If he is still there at 10, Habs could make a trade with Oilers to get the 10th. I would do it even if it means taking on Lucic and giving up a couple decent prospects like a Lindgren. Habs could conceivable come up with a third 1st in a Pacioretty trade. I like a Dellandrea or Sandin around 17-20. Rumours say they like Hayton. Fair enough, if he played top minutes his numbers would look better. Maybe there is a bit of Thomas or Frost in him. If Habs draft Zadina, Kotkaniemi and Hayton first round be good to very good. Plus, keep all their 2nds. Good talent available in 2nd round. Could be a Wise, I like Nodstrom also. Somebody like a Miller could slide out of the first round.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

And who the f*** is Nodstrom?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Just finished to watch some Halifax games and I came rather unimpressed by Zadina, his skating agility and speed are both average, Wahlstrom is a much more fluid skater... he also struggles too much defensively for my taste... Wahlstrom is the better play driver of the 2. So to me, Habs will either draft Dobson or Kotkaniemi at 3...

Reactions: Favster

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Never said that....don't put false info on here. Noticed Zadina tremendous passion in WJC and playing for Mooseheads. Never said anybody else never had any. Just his is way higher than most

His tremendous passion for the Mooseheads didn't show up at all against Charlottetown when he was completely invisible and was unable to do anything at all as they got thoroughly embarrassed.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His tremendous passion for the Mooseheads didn't show up at all against Charlottetown when he was completely invisible and was unable to do anything at all as they got thoroughly embarrassed.

Zadina was fine against the Islanders. But the overall team was over matched in physicality. Their D and goal tending was also very good against us. Zadina had some success and his effort level was up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
my top 40 for 2018

1.Dahlin
2.Svechnikov
3.Dobson
4.Hughes
5.Zadina
6.Kotkaniemi
7.Tkachuk
8.Kravtsov
9.Boqvist
10.Bouchard
11.Farabee
12.Lundestrom
13.Hayton
14.Smith
15.Kaut
16.Bokk
17.Sandin
18.Denisenko
19.Alexeyev
20.Veleno
21.Berggren
22.Kupari
23.Lundkvist
24.Wilde
25.Merkley
26.Foudy
27.Noel
28.Hallander
29.O'Brien
30.Miller
31.Tychonick
32.Bernard-Docker
33.Samuelsson
34.Thomas
35.Demin
36.Ylonen
37.Woo
38.Eggenberger
39.Drury
40.Olofsson

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would rather draft Zadina than Svech. I know Svech has more skill but prospects with most passion for the game generally have the higher ceiling.

I can see why some would say that, but sometimes it's not always evident how much passion a guy has. For instance, watching Auston Matthews vs. Patrick Laine over a long stretch of time, one would think Laine is the much more passionate player based on how much flashier he is and how much more demonstrative he is. Matthews is much more subdued, more workmanlike, but still very intense and passionate, even if it doesn't show all the time.

As a Canes fan, I see that first hand with looking at Aho and Skinner. Skinner is much more excitable, more vocal, more demonstrative and if people saw the two players, they would jump to the conclusion that Skinner is more passionate than Aho. That couldn't be further from the truth though. Aho is one of the most passionate guys that Canes have, it just doesn't always show.

You may be 100% right in your assessment though so I'm not saying you are wrong, just that passion is not always evident based on a players personality.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
In Barrie, Svechnikov had friends and former teammates to play with, and then was gifted Luchuk via trade- and if I recall when Svech was on that tear, it wasn't just him that entire line just caught fire. Zadina never found such chemistry in Halifax yet still managed to lead the Q in even strength goals as a CHL rookie.

I dont think Halifax was even expected to make the playoffs. They are building for this up coming season.
A 17 old year coming over in playing in Canada and putting up great numbers is impressive for both these players. Id be happy with either

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I dont think Halifax was even expected to make the playoffs. They are building for this up coming season.
A 17 old year coming over in playing in Canada and putting up great numbers is impressive for both these players. Id be happy with either

They were absolutely expected to make the playoffs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I hope they were expected to make the playoffs. Don’t just two teams miss in the Q? It would be pretty pathetic to be expected to be that bad.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't know what is a fair or reasonable ranking for him. However, O'Brien has been creeping up into the 21-31 range in at least one recent mainstream list. I'm not even sure what he projects as -- does he have top 6 potential?

Absolutely. I have no problem putting him a tier above the cluster of C's hovering around the early 2nd.

He has better skating and hands than McLaughlin, the consistency and complete game a guy like Hillis lacks down the middle, the shot Veleno doesn't have and sharper offensive tools than Drury and McLeod.

If he dominated just purely out of skill or size and racking points on the PP, I'd have some reservations.
But on any given night, he'll out-pace everyone else on the ice and think the game at another level. A big reason he didn't look out of place against better, more experienced competition and managed to impress as an invitee with the NTDP.

The only ones I have ahead are Hayton, Lundestrom, Dellandrea and Kupari.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad