2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Lol okay and Svech doesn't have as much passion because he's Russian? What are you even basing that on? The guy came from Russia when he was 16 to play hockey in America and then moved to Canada when he was drafted in the OHL. You don't do that if you don't have passion
The only I can think of is leaving his OHL team shortly before the playoffs to take part in the 5-nations tournament. I scratched my head on that one.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He has question marks, just like the others in the 3 to 10 range. It's all about projectability though and he projects very well.

If he had no question marks, he'd be in the conversation for #2.
And that is exactly my point and proof that NP "lololololing" at me for saying there are no bluechip centers in this draft was stupid.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If Jesperi was a bluechip can't miss C prospect he'd be the consensus #3 would he not?

Blue chip just means that a prospect is among the best at his position. Zadina is a blue chip winger. Jesperi is certainly among the best at his position. Not my fault the rankings haven't figured it out.

Reactions: NoQuinn

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Blue chip just means that a prospect is among the best at his position. Zadina is a blue chip winger. Jesperi is certainly among the best at his position. Not my fault the rankings haven't figured it out.
Not true. Blue chip is an investment term that means can't miss. A blue chip C prospect means a can't miss top 6 C.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Fair, then there's no blue chip prospects in most drafts, 2005, 2015 and 2016 are the only ones that had blue chip C's.

If you want to define it that way, sure.
I'm not using the term as a synonym for franchise. It's more of a "safe" term. Guys that are bluechippers fill that top 6 forward and top 4 D outline Timmins mentioned. Guys that are easy bets to fill those roles.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This semantical argument is tiresome, but a bluechipper in scouting circles means a sure shot to be an above average player at his position.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Are we not talking about prospects?

Now we're talking about the meaning of blue chip: I'm correct that it comes from poker. Given the risky nature of investment, they naturally drew the metaphor of the risky game of poker. Blue chip has been used in general to describe things of high value for 150 years, and the metaphor was borrowed in the 1920's by the stockmarket. ''Can't miss'' and ''sure bet'' is something idiots have been calling things with risk since time immemorial.

To extend the metaphor to prospects, it obviously means prospects of the highest value at their position, which Jesperi is.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Now we're talking about the meaning of blue chip: I'm correct that it comes from poker. Given the risky nature of investment, they naturally drew the metaphor of the risky game of poker. Blue chip has been used in general to describe things of high value for 150 years, and the metaphor was borrowed in the 1920's by the stockmarket. ''Can't miss'' and ''sure bet'' is something idiots have been calling things with risk since time immemorial.

To extend the metaphor to prospects, it obviously means prospects of the highest value at their position, which Jesperi is.
No. It means a prospect has high value and the value is locked in. A blue chip both has high value and value locked in.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Any prospect we select at 3 will be a blue chip prospect. That value will only increase or decrease based on their performance post draft.

Virtanen was a blue chip. Now he's not. Kucherov wasn't but he became one. Value is relative and never fixed. Brodeur in his final two seasons was no longer a high value commodity.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad