GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (SJ Board Edition)

Do you want to have dedicated player discussion threads for each player drafted by the Sharks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
In order, my preferences are Berggren (if he falls), Kaut, Nils Lundqvist, and Thomas.

Tempted to want to put Merkley on my "don't touch with a 300 mile pole" list.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Not too sure since to me there is a STEEP drop off after approximately 11th overall. To me, there’s Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina/Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi/Smith/Tkachuk in no order. After that, there seems to be no consensus on who goes next and I will be mildly shocked if someone else goes in the top-10 outside of this group. Of the next tier, my faves are guys like Farabee, Kaut, Veleno, Merkley, Bokk, Kravtsov, Denisenko, and Kupari. After that, guys like Dellandrea (a bit of a pet prospect of mine), Wilde, Wise, Hayton, etc.

Dellandrea, Isac Lundstrom, Mattias Samuelsson seem like DW types. But according to DW they may take a “riskier” player. Not too sure what “riskier” means to him, but let’s wait and see. I’ll just say that outside the NTDP guys (whom I watch and follow closely every year, hence my immediate and warranted disgust of the Josh Norris pick), I haven’t followed this draft class all that closely.

I agree with most of this. Honestly looking at the draft, I just don't like many of the guys projected to go in the 17-24 range. I'm thinking that if the Sharks don't trade up we should trade down because high ceiling after the top 10-15 could probably be had in the late 20's.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Hope we can trade back with the Rangers and get a 2nd round pick out of them. They have 26 and 28
This is my idea also. If all the players outside of the top 15 are rated similarly it would make sense to trade back and get two players of similar value instead of just one, right?

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
If Berggren “falls”? Isn’t he typically ranked well past 21st?
Most rankings have him in the late 20's, early 30's range. It's the same thing with Tychonick who was discussed in another thread about being taken at the Sharks spot at 21.

Unless they really love either guy (which is totally possible), both are likely available later in a trade-down scenario.

Reactions: matt trick

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Berggren seems like Larkin who was ranked low but is getting a lot of buzz and could potentially go higher

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
DW Riskier = "more russian":sarcasm:

Just draft a high upside Dman or C, and I'll be happy. I won't even expect that person to necessarily be really good, but it's just the direction they need to take. I'd rather have a 10% good player than a 75% okay player at this point.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I remember last year I actually had NHL Network on and the Draft was playing in the background on the Saturday. Today I'm not sure if I'm interested in this thing or not. I don't expect the Sharks to really do anything in terms of trades. The main event will feel like a week from Sunday.

I do hope they draft someone who will actually play in the NHL in 2-3 years. I'm still waiting with Baited Breath for Norris to make his debut. :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
DW Riskier = "more russian":sarcasm:

Just draft a high upside Dman or C, and I'll be happy. I won't even expect that person to necessarily be really good, but it's just the direction they need to take. I'd rather have a 10% good player than a 75% okay player at this point.

More Russian isn't riskier DW. It's drunk DW.

Riskier DW is a kid from outside Massachusetts.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
This year is the least I have ever looked into prospects that I can remember, I am finding it rather nice and less nerve racking, but I do feel like I am missing out on the festivities.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
More Russian isn't riskier DW. It's drunk DW.

Riskier DW is a kid from outside Massachusetts.

Maybe he'll take someone from the Ottawa 68s or, God forbid, the 69s.

Maybe he'll literally gamble with the pick and Vegas will get our pick?

Maybe he'll do a backflip while making the pick.

The sheer amount of possibilities is endless.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
This year is the least I have ever looked into prospects that I can remember, I am finding it rather nice and less nerve racking, but I do feel like I am missing out on the festivities.

Yah, same. It's such a crap shoot anyway, and I have so little free time, I'd rather not waste it stressing myself out about something I have zero impact on and get no enjoyment out of. Hopefully we get another Couture/Hertl this year, not another Patrecki/Mueller

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

It's hard to get worked up about the draft if your team is picking outside the top 10 tbh.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yah, same. It's such a crap shoot anyway, and I have so little free time, I'd rather not waste it stressing myself out about something I have zero impact on and get no enjoyment out of. Hopefully we get another Couture/Hertl this year, not another Patrecki/Mueller
Well I mean you have zero impact on sports in general if you think about it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sure, but I get enjoyment out of sports, I don't get enjoyment out of stressing over the draft :P

I don't understand the idea of getting stressed out on a draft. Like you said, it's a crapshoot anyway, so after the lottery picks, who knows what will happen. Of course watching the 49ers have bad drafts over time has probably sensitized me to the whole idea but I look at it as if you have a bad draft, oh well. If you have a good draft, than it provides a diamond in the rough for your franchise for the next decade.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't understand the idea of getting stressed out on a draft. Like you said, it's a crapshoot anyway, so after the lottery picks, who knows what will happen. Of course watching the 49ers have bad drafts over time has probably sensitized me to the whole idea but I look at it as if you have a bad draft, oh well. If you have a good draft, than it provides a diamond in the rough for your franchise for the next decade.
I like the draft and prospects are fun to hype but I don't think too hard about the picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad