GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (Round 1 June 22, 7:30 PM EST. Rounds 2-7 June 23, 11 AM EST)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That may be the first "meh" draft day experience I've had as a Jets fan.

Overall sentiments? How'd our scouts do? Moe right or Moe Wong?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hard to say how this draft will unfold for a while but we will this one naturally doesn't have the wow factor of other years.

Picks I liked:

Gustafsson
Chisholm
Vallati
Moe

Didn't like the Smith pick at all and am on the fence on Wong.

All in all I am really looking forward to seeing them at development camp next week. If the time table is the same as last years I will get to attend the scrimmage on the Friday.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I didn't mind the Smith pick. He's a bit older, but was a USHL rookie. Jets' US scouts have been dynamite.

I think you mispelled Wong, or it was a Freudian slip.

Whoops on the spelling.

While our USHL scouting has been good I still dislike the pick as well as the fact he seems to be heading back to the USHL next season.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
like with all drafts, time will tell.
likely no studs picked in this draft.
it likely did nothing to give us D prospects, although i have some hope for Vallati, ,maybe.
Gustafsson? who knows. bottom 6 centre, but likely a future 4th liner.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Heard camp is next tuesday and Wednesday. If so, i can attend as in wpg for holiday.

Excited most for smith. Think he will surprise.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hard to say how this draft will unfold for a while but we will this one naturally doesn't have the wow factor of other years.

Picks I liked:

Gustafsson
Chisholm
Vallati
Moe

Didn't like the Smith pick at all and am on the fence on Woo

All in all I am really looking forward to seeing them at development camp next week. If the time table is the same as last years I will get to attend the scrimmage on the Friday.
I didn't mind the Smith pick. He's a bit older, but was a USHL rookie. Jets' US scouts have been dynamite.

I think you mispelled Wong, or it was a Freudian slip.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Didn't have much excitement really going into this years draft knowing we had no first rounder. From the sounds of some of these posts we are a ways from knowing if any of these guys end up making a difference in our teams future. Oh well, finished top 4, next year was the year we were predicted to win the cup, right? :)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On a non pick side I am a bit surprised that we didn't see Dano dealt for picks. The fact the Jets have held on to Petan leads me to believe they may use him next season, especially if Perrault is dealt.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'm sure Oilers fans were saying the same thing heading into last season. It can happen here, too.
It can

But Im sure

Chicago , Pittsburgh fans said same things before as well.

By the way.

Have you seen how the Oilers aRe being run?

Cough, trade Eberle, cough Trade Hart trophy winner... cough draft 1st overall .. bust

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure Oilers fans were saying the same thing heading into last season. It can happen here, too.

100% this ^....Victory is never final.

The margins in the league are paper thin, just look at Colorado last year. Our division is brutal and we will need to continue to get good goaltending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laine Fan

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
2 questions, sorry if they've already been addressed:

Any reason Nando Eggenberger didn't get drafted? Thought he'd be a third rounder.

Is anyone else noticing posts being out of order?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
2 questions, sorry if they've already been addressed:

Any reason Nando Eggenberger didn't get drafted? Thought he'd be a third rounder.

Is anyone else noticing posts being out of order?
Maybe the GMs weren't hungry.

A pile of my posts weren't posted yesterday and I got errors saying threads didn't exist when I replied.

Mobile site is messed up.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a good memory.

What did you think about the Bahl pick by Chayka? How do you like his overall performance so far?
His performance has been a joke. I actually like Bahl tho, but passing on Zadina with pick 5 and taking who they took was laughable.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

With the 18th overall pick, the Columbus Blue Jackets had a difficult decision to make between Liam Foudy and Kirill Marchenko.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hell of a draft for the Isles. Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde and Skarek is a really solid addition to their pool.With Bellows developing well they have a bright future on that team. Especially with the new regime change. I shutter to think what Whalstrom could be capable of next to Barzal in the goal scoring department. and to add 2 big righties to their dman pool. Damn.

Detroit also had a great value draft. Getting Zadina, Veleno, Berggren and McIsaac. That's 4 potential NHLers that could all end up playing together.

And also of course Chicago has a great draft. Boqvist, Beaudin, Wise, Nordgren, Kurashev and Gravel.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have a good memory.

What did you think about the Bahl pick by Chayka? How do you like his overall performance so far?

I did not love Chayka's draft. Felt like a draft by a GM trying to go out of his way to acquire an "Old School GM" image. Them passing all that talent with their #5 pick could set that franchise back... although there have been a few players who were drafted in the top-5 with Hayton's statistical profile who turned out be great NHL'rs (Johansen, Neiderietter).

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Most people who are/were fans of Chayka's work were not because of "analytics" (he has nothing analytics related published in the public domain for anyone to be a fan of). Most were thinking of highly of him for easily "winning" pretty much every single big trade that he has been a part of with perhaps the exception of the Stepan trade. This draft does not look like a good one for the Coyotes, but just looking at his trades value wise it is hard to not give him credit for them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Most people who are/were fans of Chayka's work were not because of "analytics" (he has nothing analytics related published in the public domain for anyone to be a fan of). Most were thinking of highly of him for easily "winning" pretty much every single big trade that he has been a part of with perhaps the exception of the Stepan trade. This draft does not look like a good one for the Coyotes, but just looking at his trades value wise it is hard to not give him credit for them.
If you look purely at pick value, he didn't "win" the Chychrun trade. Detroit got very good value for sliding back a bit, and ended up with a nice extra prospect in Hronek. The trade is only a win if Chychrun's was undervalued at that pick. Other than that, Chayka took advantage of having a financial situation that compelled him to have a salary budget at or below the cap. He soaked up dead contracts for other teams with his cap space. Nothing genius about that. The Galchenyuk trade looks good, but Bergevin...

At the end of the day, the Yotes have been pretty terrible.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad