GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (Round 1 June 22, 7:30 PM EST. Rounds 2-7 June 23, 11 AM EST)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All 63 of McKenzie's draft list picked in the top 79 picks. That's impressive.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Two picks so far. Two guys flying under the radar who could exceed their draft #. Of course they could bust too but that is expected from #60, #91 and on.
Smith strikes me as a late bloomer. He led his USHL team in scoring.

Jets have done well with those types... Poolman, Copp, Appleton... . Hard to doubt the Jets US scouting at this point.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Smith strikes me as a late bloomer. He led his USHL team in scoring.

Jets have done well with those types... Poolman, Copp, Appleton... . Hard to doubt the Jets US scouting at this point.
Suess, Foley. I just kinda assume that they've done their homework on weird US picks.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Jets picked Blackbook's #91, #96, and #95 ranked guys with picks #92, #150, and #153. Seems decent if you like blackbook's rankings

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There isn’t much of anything in Central Scouting’s report you could argue with. Vallati is in fact an excellent skater with terrific mobility and very good speed. As mentioned, he can beat the forecheck with his skating alone. But he’s also very good at reading the play and is very capable of making a crisp, clean pass to exit the zone.
In the d-zone, Vallati has shown improvement from year-to-year. He has decent size and uses it well, although he is going to need to add some muscle. Despite that, he wins more then his fair share of battles and will only improve with the added mass. He anticipates extremely well and possesses an active stick – he will close lanes with his positioning or his twig.
Although Vallati plays a very safe game, he uses that same skating ability and decision making in the offensive zone. He is not averse to taking risks, however, he picks his spots. He can pinch to keep the puck in the o-zone. He can move any-which-way to find lanes and set up teammates. He walks the line extremely well and he has a rocket of a shot from the blueline that he takes with a purpose. He gets it through regularly but isn’t always trying to score but put pucks in places where there is going to be a rebound for his teammates. He has shown he can quarterback a powerplay at the OHL level, but the NHL is a different animal.
For Vallati, the draft in June will be interesting to say the least. He has size, the skating and the skill set. For him it’s just a matter of putting it all together. To be more specific, it will come down to whether an NHL team believes they can help him put it all together.

I'll take it.

Giovanni Vallati – Kitchener Rangers – Player Profile

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I had no idea about Alexis Gravel falling this far.

I also was not surprised to find out that Chicago picked him.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Gravel was pretty bad this season..

I like Topping and Westfalt still at this point but I think it might be a goalie this round.

Still a high rated MJHL Goalie left too!

Reactions: Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh I called the Lindholm to Cal for one of their Ds last night, but it's a much bigger trade.

Its odd though. Canes need scoring, especially upfront. So they trade away a pretty good C and and a D with offense. They get an offensive D and an offensive D prospect plus a middling LW.

Flames need wingers, particularly RW's. So they trade away offensive D and a middling LW and get back C and D. ???? At least Lindholm is a RHS. Maybe they play him at RW.

It just seems that both teams have made a lot of quality available and not directly addressed their needs. With the assets they moved, both teams should have been able to do better, no? Value seems pretty good so neither lost. But did either win?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Artyom Minulin undrafted last season despite putting up good points in the WHL, I thought he was passed over due to the Russian factor but he stayed in the WHL again this season and put up a solid season. Worth a shot with our 6th or 7th?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Artyom Minulin undrafted last season despite putting up good points in the WHL, I thought he was passed over due to the Russian factor but he stayed in the WHL again this season and put up a solid season. Worth a shot with our 6th or 7th?
Godawful skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad