GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (Round 1 June 22, 7:30 PM EST. Rounds 2-7 June 23, 11 AM EST)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Let's not forget that Jansen Harkins was drafted higher than any Jets' draft pick this year.
In deepest draft as well.

Any hope for harkins at this time? Still wish they picked at a dman with the pick. Harkins was a pretty big faller though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Any hope for harkins at this time? Still wish they picked at a dman with the pick. Harkins was a pretty big faller though.
I was always a bit worried about Harkins' skating. I have the same concerns about Gustafsson, but he has already been effective at a good level of pro hockey, so for me the risk is lower.

Reactions: ruffus23

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Meh. Meghan (the actual analytics smart one in the Chakya family) unfollowed me after I said no real analytics company runs Zack ****ing Rinaldo for more than 1 game.
Sure, but how's your modeling career going?

I dunno, Rinaldo nailed his career high in goals last year with the Yotes, so....

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If we didn't trade our first round pick (was it 28) who do you think Chevy would have taken?
Assuming that Toronto still picks Sandin at 25 and every other pick remains the same, I would have sprinted to the podium and screamed Dominik Bokk's name like the lunatic I am. The thing is, there could be a reason why St. Louis traded up for him, so assuming that he would have been there at 29 might not be right.

If Bokk wouldn't have been there, I'd have taken a shot at Berggren or Alexeyev.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh:
Of course there is still hope for Harkins. He started slowly last year but did improve after his stint in the ECHL. Not all young players progress the same way. I think he will need to do quite a bit better next year. But you don't write-off players at 21.

On the subject of possible alternatives though - Filip Chlapik was the next player taken. He has shown a lot more promise than Harkins. 6 places later, Rasmus Anderson was taken. Certainly would like to have either of them right now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Meh. Meghan (the actual analytics smart one in the Chakya family) unfollowed me after I said no real analytics company runs Zack ****ing Rinaldo for more than 1 game.

Sure, but how's your modeling career going?

I dunno, Rinaldo nailed his career high in goals last year with the Yotes, so....

Personally I'm a big fan of Rinaldo. Not as a hockey player of course - the man is an ape. But surprises are fun, and every time I find out that someone is still employing him to play hockey in the NHL, I am stunned.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you look purely at pick value, he didn't "win" the Chychrun trade. Detroit got very good value for sliding back a bit, and ended up with a nice extra prospect in Hronek. The trade is only a win if Chychrun's was undervalued at that pick. Other than that, Chayka took advantage of having a financial situation that compelled him to have a salary budget at or below the cap. He soaked up dead contracts for other teams with his cap space. Nothing genius about that. The Galchenyuk trade looks good, but Bergevin...

At the end of the day, the Yotes have been pretty terrible.

You've made it pretty clear that you don't like Chayka but here you are reaching for reasons to devalue the good things he has done.

The whole point of the Chychrun trade was that he was undervalued at that pick. He did a better job of taking advantage of his excess cap space than I can recall ever seeing anyone else do. Maybe not genius level but nobody said he was a genius, or a GM savant either.

I'm not impressed, to put it politely, with his drafting this year. If we take the 'all credit goes to the scouts' line I think he needs to get himself some better scouts. But he has traded well, IMO. Even the frequently criticized Stepan trade got them a good starting goalie along with a solid 2C and a veteran presence they needed. I call that a win for him even though it did cost him Lias Andersson..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad