GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft: Round 1 Finished; Rounds 2 -7 Remain - Common Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
So many great options today. I wonder if we can target the Sens 48 with our 52 and 72. That is, if Addison, Thomas, Noel, Samuelsson, Wise, Hallander, Trychonick, Woo, Wise, McBain, or McIsaac are still there at 48 (I'm assuming most, if not all, will be gone by 52).

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
So many great options today. I wonder if we can target the Sens 48 with our 52 and 72. That is, if Addison, Thomas, Noel, Samuelsson, Wise, Hallander, Trychonick, Woo, Wise, McBain, or McIsaac are still there at 48 (I'm assuming most, if not all, will be gone by 52).

If pick 72 was worth moving from 29 to 25, it's a massive overpayment for moving from 52 to 48. More like 52 and 149

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Wings had luck with Zadina, but messed up their second pick by taking that overrated Veleno guy. Wouldn't call that a great draft.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'm almost hoping we can move up using a 4th or something to get someone like Thomas, Addison or maybe even Wise.

Getting Thomas in the 2nd round would be fantastic value.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
With the way the Leafs traded down, I really do wonder if Miller was the dman who they were targeting first.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Actually very stoked we got Sandin last night, I said on the 1st page of this thread that I hope we end up with him. Not sure why some people throughout his draft thread were saying he needs to improve on his skating, he's definitely 1 of the best skaters in the draft. Not only that but Morgan Frost, who destroyed the OHL this year, said Sandin was the smartest player he's ever played with as well, that's while having 2 World Junior gold medalists as his linemates (Raddysh and Katchouk). What makes defencemen in the NHL so good these days are:

A) skating
B) puck rushing ability and passing
C) hockey smarts

Sandin excels at all of those categories. I legitimately believe he could be one of the steals of the 1st round, if not THE steal.

Here's a quote from his NHL.com draft profile:
Sandin, whose style has been compared to Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith, offers good hockey sense, competitiveness and passing ability.

"His hockey IQ is off the charts," said Karl Stewart of NHL Central Scouting. "You can't hit him; he's so elusive and mobile. He's got eyes in the back of his head and he never puts his teammates in a bad spot with the puck. When he passes to his winger, they have time and space to do something with it.

"There's a lot of upside here because he'll add strength and weight, and he can already quarterback a power play."

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Actually very stoked we got Sandin last night, I said on the 1st page of this thread that I hope we end up with him. Not sure why some people throughout his draft thread were saying he needs to improve on his skating, he's definitely 1 of the best skaters in the draft. Not only that but Morgan Frost, who destroyed the OHL this year, said Sandin was the smartest player he's ever played with as well. What makes defencemen in the NHL so good these days are:

A) skating
B) puck rushing ability and passing
C) hockey smarts

Sandin excels at all of those categories. I legitimately believe he could be one of the steals of the 1st round, if not THE steal.

Here's a quote from his NHL.com draft profile:
Wouldn't say he's a steal, he's gone where he's supposed to but could develop into a smart top 4 eventually. I like the pick because I like smart players and he apparently fits in our style of play that we want to enforce.

Liljegren is still ahead of him and I think and could be more considered a steal a this point.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
My targets for day 2 (in no particular order even though they are numbered), most are expected top 90 picks. After these names I don't have preferences as my knowledge on other players is limited.

1. Ryan McLeod, 2. Serron Noel, 3. Akill Thomas, 4. Jack McBain, 5. Jacob Olofsson, 6. Jonatan Berggren, 7. Calen Addison, 8. Kirill Marchenko, 9. Jared McIassac, 10. Jesse Ylonen, 11. Jonatan Tychonick, 12. Jake Wise, 13. Niklas Nordgren, 14. Fillip HIllander, 15. Cameron Hills, 16. Jan Jenik, 17. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, 18. Bode Wilde, 19. Ruslan Iskhakov, 20. Nikolai Kovalenko, 21. Philipp Kurashev, 22. Adam Maschenrin

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I'm almost hoping we can move up using a 4th or something to get someone like Thomas, Addison or maybe even Wise.

Getting Thomas in the 2nd round would be fantastic value.
For sure. I agree with those 3 players for a move up. Noel and Samuelsson too. This is the year that a trade up in the 2nd round may be worth it. I don't remember being this pumped for 2nd rounders in previous years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
7 more picks today. 3 in the top 90. Looking forward to seeing who them add into the organization.

Hopefully Dubas can get some trades lined up!

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wonder if this is the day Josh Leivo goes? Any team willing to gamble on him with a 2nd rounder? Is his value even that? (He was a 3rd rounder himself).

Reactions: Smif

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
For sure. I agree with those 3 players for a move up. Noel and Samuelsson too. This is the year that a trade up in the 2nd round may be worth it. I don't remember being this pumped for 2nd rounders in previous years.
I thought I remember a similar situation last year. Players who fell out of the 1st like Hague and Timmins. Maybe there's a bigger amount of potential players this year but I think that's more to do with how everyone is so closely ranked till like #60 or something.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wonder if this is the day Josh Leivo goes? Any team willing to gamble on him with a 2nd rounder? Is his value even that? (He was a 3rd rounder himself).

Dreger said that's the only player the Leafs have been "shopping" to give him a chance to actually play.

I think it's more likely it's a 2019 pick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad